• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, tifino said:

silly pilipino bites the hand that feeds them

Is it one sided? The Philippines is not important to the US regarding military bases?

A lot of people mention money. How much sucking up does a country have to do for a certain quantity of financial support? How much money to "own" another sovereign nation?

Typical media BS…blowing King Dut's words out of proportion….everyone says Puta Ina in the Phils…even grandmas say it….it's a stronger version of 'Damn'….its evolved from its literal meaning….but trust the media and his enemies to not report that.

As Obama rightly summed up….that's how the guy talks….it's his habit.

On 06/09/2016 at 9:34 AM, spidermike007 said:

Duterte is a goon, a goombah, a street thug, a punk, a man who appears to have no education, no dignity, no class, no elegance, definitely no statesmanship, and a mouth that he cannot control. He is not doing his people proud. His pride, and man child behavior reminds me a bit of Chavez, or Castro the elder (la cucaracha). Some of the things he says makes the world cringe, and I am sure his people are finding him a bit embarrassing at the moment. The US has a long term relationship with the PI, and his grandstanding is simply meant for domestic public consumption, by a small percentage of the people who like this kind of stuff. He reminds me alot of Trump, except he is smart enough to keep the profanity out of it, so far at least. 

In a statement read out by his spokesman, Duterte said that while his "strong comments" in response to questions by a reporter "elicited concern and distress, we also regret it came across as a personal attack on the U.S. president."

I say that is the mark of a coward. He pretends to be so tough. He pretends to be so unforgiving, and so brutal. Yet, he does not even have enough guts and courage to read this statement himself? 

I read he has the support of over 80% of the Philippine people.

On 06/09/2016 at 11:43 AM, Fookhaht said:

I've spent time in Duterte's home town (Davao) and he's worshipped there, mostly for his ability to cut through the "crap" and get things done, and to Hades with anyone who is an obstructionist.   Have to hand it to a guy who can do that in overly-bureaucratic and crony-esque Asian governments, whether they be at the local or national level.  At the same time, I personally don't condone extra-judicial actions by any politician as a means to accomplish their objectives.  

I've also been to Davao and as you say the locals adore him. We're getting the Western MSM liberal vilification slant on old Duterte Harry.

On 07/09/2016 at 4:38 AM, spidermike007 said:

Though many will argue with me, there is a big difference between being a colony of the UK, or Spain, or even worse, Belgium, and being administered or a protectorate of the US. Big difference. Far less oppressive. Remember the salt tax Britain imposed on India? Remember what the colonists went through in the US, with the taxes on tea, etc? The US has given a fortune to the PI, and continues to do so. Duterte had better watch his horrendously big mouth. He seems to have little in the way of self control. I know some 12 year old boys like that.

The U.S. Government gave a total of $197,036,510 to Philippines in 2012:

The aid was broken down in the following manner:
Economic

• Child Survival and Health: $-420
  • Department of Defense Security Assistance: $75,490
  • Development Assistance: $79,721,515
  • Economic Support Fund/Security Support Assistance: $456,217
  • Global Health and Child Survival: $34,153,032
  • Millennium Challenge Corporation: $4,439,091
  • Narcotics Control: $4,286,840
  • Nonproliferation, Anti-Terrorism, Demining and Related: $9,549,582
  • Other Active Grant Programs: $6,403,834
  • Other Food Aid Programs: $11,824,000
  • Other State Assistance: $2,746,441
  • Other USAID Assistance: $8,619,065
  • Peace Corps: $3,388,723
  • Military
  • Military Assistance, Total: $31,373,100

http://us-foreign-aid.insidegov.com/q/139/1590/How-much-money-does-the-U-S-give-to-Philippines

Some examples of true colonialist atrocities:

Belgian Congo
Leopold II's exploitation of the Congo basin has probably become legendary again but I'll go over some of the basics again.  The modern territory of the Democratic Republic of Congo was colonized by Leopold as a private citizen starting in 1885 in order to harvest rubber.  However, the methods involved extremely high rubber quotas and failure to meet them would mean death. Severed hands were demanded as certificates that the executions were carried out.  Over the period of colonial exploitation, up to 10 million people were killed, about half of the population of the Congo Basin.  This is equal to the number of global military deaths in WWI.

German Africa
Meanwhile, German actions in Namibia (German Southwest Africa) were on a smaller scale but of a much worse intent: the total annihilation of the Herero and Namaqua peoples.  They were driven into the desert and systematically killed with wells poisoned.  Anyone caught was executed on the spot or sent to labor camps where they were worked to death.  A few Herero were also used in medical experiments.  "Only" about 100,000 people died.

Of the modern colonial powers, the British were the most brutal, with numerous genocides, vs American Indians, Australian Aboriginals, Tasmanians, Kenyans, and manmade famines in India and Ireland that killed millions. Iraq is a former protectorate, and is in the midst of self destruction.  Burma/Myanmar is a hot mess.  Pakistan broke into two countries in 1971 after a bloody civil war, and is facing another existential threat in Pashtunistan.  Rhodesia/Zimbabwe isn't doing so well.  South Africa was left an apartheid state for decades after decolonization.  Yemen is in shambles.  Egypt was a protectorate and is about to execute it's latest elected President while being ruled by another General.  Nigeria's Biafran War and Boko Haram's rise has its roots in British imperial policy vis a vis Northern Nigerian Hausa and the Igbo and Yoruba in the south. I can go on, though I'm not implying that these countries' current situations are completely caused by British Imperialism.  I'm just offering a counter to the "Singapore, India, and Hong Kong" argument that British colonial rule automatically led to better post colonial governance.  It offers a template that is in many ways misleading.  Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, the UAE, Bahrain, and Jordan's respective royal families are just as "British" as India's parliament.

The Potato Famine in Ireland was nothing to do with any British planned genocide. It was caused by potato blight, a disease that swept Europe seriously affecting England and Belgium among other countries at the same time as it hit Ireland.

Far from suffering under British colonialism most countries benefited from it. Look at the USA, India, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Ceylon and Singapore. Even Rhodesia was known as the bread basket of Africa till they got rid of Ian Smith, their last white leader and a Battle of Britain hero.

7 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Marcos was popular and a hero until he went too far. Popularity etc is as fickle as the people who give it so what will Duterte do if his support fades nationally, become another Marcos ?

9 hours ago, yogi100 said:

It does seem that way. I think you are right. In much the same way Putin appears to have the support of the Russian people. Strong-arm tactics appeal to the masses. The Philippines was broken. The crime wave was tremendous. The drug problem was intolerable. So, he promised a solution and the people jumped. Does anyone think it would be any different with Trump? I believe his solutions would be even more drastic than that of Duterte. Is he a goon? It appears so. Is Trump a goon? Yes, I believe so too. 

A friend of mine, who is from the PI, has a brother who was shot last week, in front of his house, in front of his children, in cold blood, by two cowards on a motorbike. According to my friend he never had anything to do with drugs. But, he was a politician. And my guess is that he was from a rival party. This kind of hooliganism was what many of us were afraid would happen, with this kind of carte blanche license to kill.

2 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Marcos was popular and a hero until he went too far. Popularity etc is as fickle as the people who give it so what will Duterte do if his support fades nationally, become another Marcos ?

Indeed because Duterte is not respected in the Philippine congress and the leading justice of the supreme court has not hidden his contempt of Duterte. The generals consider Duterte to be an idiot.

They together will not allow another Marcos or an Estrada. Nor would they allow Duterte to alienate the US while selling out to China. As we see vividly in Thailand, people get the government they deserve.

9 hours ago, yogi100 said:

The Potato Famine in Ireland was nothing to do with any British planned genocide. It was caused by potato blight, a disease that swept Europe seriously affecting England and Belgium among other countries at the same time as it hit Ireland.

Far from suffering under British colonialism most countries benefited from it. Look at the USA, India, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Ceylon and Singapore. Even Rhodesia was known as the bread basket of Africa till they got rid of Ian Smith, their last white leader and a Battle of Britain hero.

An argument can be made to support your conclusion. No dount the UK left behind alot of educated people, with great english skills, and excellent infrastructure. It can be argued both ways, quite effectively. I sometimes argue how much of a benefit colonialism might have been for Thailand. 

7 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Most certainly not. Marcos' most pressing agenda was stealing money from the country. He came into office at age 48 and left at age 69. Duterte is already 71.

Having said that, the country was in a better state during the Marcos years than it was when Duterte took over in June.

I mentioned I've personally already benefited from his "reign". He has improved many things in the short time he's been in power. Most importantly the poor are getting a much better hand (health care, financial support).

He's a man of the people. Finally a president who isn't afraid to shake things up and get things done. You won't have to worry about having bullets planted in your suitcase next time you visit.:)

Edited by tropo

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It does seem that way. I think you are right. In much the same way Putin appears to have the support of the Russian people. Strong-arm tactics appeal to the masses. The Philippines was broken. The crime wave was tremendous. The drug problem was intolerable. So, he promised a solution and the people jumped. Does anyone think it would be any different with Trump? I believe his solutions would be even more drastic than that of Duterte. Is he a goon? It appears so. Is Trump a goon? Yes, I believe so too. 

A friend of mine, who is from the PI, has a brother who was shot last week, in front of his house, in front of his children, in cold blood, by two cowards on a motorbike. According to my friend he never had anything to do with drugs. But, he was a politician. And my guess is that he was from a rival party. This kind of hooliganism was what many of us were afraid would happen, with this kind of carte blanche license to kill.

It's not about his promises - he's actually doing what he promised. Things are getting done - a lot more than just a war on drugs. That's why he's popular - it's not just talk.

4 hours ago, Publicus said:

Indeed because Duterte is not respected in the Philippine congress and the leading justice of the supreme court has not hidden his contempt of Duterte. The generals consider Duterte to be an idiot.

They together will not allow another Marcos or an Estrada. Nor would they allow Duterte to alienate the US while selling out to China. As we see vividly in Thailand, people get the government they deserve.

Finally they get a government they need. To get things done he had to shake up the status quo.

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got."

They're coming off a run of the most ineffectual presidents ever.

I doubt he's concerned about what some generals think. At least he controls the military and not the other way around, as it is in Thailand.

8 minutes ago, tropo said:

Most certainly not. Marcos's most pressing agenda was stealing money from the country. He came into office at age 48 and left at age 69. Duterte is already 71.

Having said that, the country was in a better state during the Marcos years than it was when Duterte took over in June.

I mentioned I've personally already benefited from his "reign". He has improved many things in the short time he's been in power. Most importantly the poor are getting a much better hand (health care, financial support).

He's a man of the people. Finally a president who isn't afraid to shake things up and get things done. You won't have to worry about having bullets planted in your suitcase next time you visit.:)

So absolutely no chance he'll go the way of so many other strongmen in world history who start off with the highest of ideals and end up carried away with their own power and self-importance ?

Hope you're right and time will tell.especially if he encourages people to be killed without due process.

25 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

So absolutely no chance he'll go the way of so many other strongmen in world history who start off with the highest of ideals and end up carried away with their own power and self-importance ?

Hope you're right and time will tell.especially if he encourages people to be killed without due process.

You read stuff in the newspapers. I'm getting the low down of what's happening on the ground in a Philippines. I know first hand he is doing a lot of good work. Sure, he has a lot to learn about International diplomacy, but he's doing very good work inside the country.

He's already saved our family 10's of thousands of pesos on hospital bills as my father-in-law, brother-in-law and some nephews and nieces have been in hospital over the last month - he has already overhauled the Phil Health insurance system. My wife can already get a 10 years passport and won't have to pay travel tax to leave the Philippines next time we visit.

Besides, he's an old man now and has Buerger's disease. He knows he's not going to be around for a long time. You people don't believe it, but he really cares about the people of the Philippines and especially the poor.

If anyone is going to fix things in the south with the Moros, he's the one.

Edited by tropo

7 minutes ago, tropo said:

You read stuff in the newspapers. I'm getting the low down of what's happening on the ground in a Philippines. I know first hand he is doing a lot of good work. Sure, he has a lot to learn about International diplomacy, but he's doing very good work inside the country.

He's already saved our family 10's of thousands of pesos on hospital bills as my father-in-law, brother-in-law and some nephews and nieces have been in hospital over the last month - he has already overhauled the Phil Health insurance system. My wife can already get a 10 years passport and won't have to pay travel tax to leave the Philippines next time we visit.

Besides, he's an old man now and has Buerger's disease. He knows he's not going to be around for a long time. You people don't believe it, but he really cares about the people of the Philippines and especially the poor.

Don't jump to hasty conclusions as I too am getting reports direct from the Philippines including a lady who is originally from Davao but now in Manila.

You seem to have an ' I'm alright Jack ' attitude because of benefit close to home but what of those of have and will continue to lose family etc because he says shoot on sight and the excuses to do so might be flimsy at best.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

1 hour ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Don't jump to hasty conclusions as I too am getting reports direct from the Philippines including a lady who is originally from Davao but now in Manila.

You seem to have an ' I'm alright Jack ' attitude because of benefit close to home but what of those of have and will continue to lose family etc because he says shoot on sight and the excuses to do so might be flimsy at best.

My reports on the ground are indicative of what's going on in the nation as a whole. 

There is no "shoot on sight" order. That's just fabricated nonsense. They have been rounding up users and dealers for the last 3 months. The users are cataloged, the dealers are jailed. The ones who are shot are the ones who resist arrest with deadly force. Drug dealers facing a life in prison will not be happy about surrendering. They will not be shot if they don't resist arrest. The area we inhabit was a particularly bad drug area. If one drug dealer was shot in each barangay or town, that would be a huge number nationwide. (there's 42,028 barangays in the Philippines). We haven't heard of one drug dealer being killed in our town of about 50,000 - but the jails are full to overflowing.

These kill numbers are being spun to make it seem far worse than it is. Why? Of course there's a big anti-Duterte group putting the worst possible spin on everything as they want him out - that's politics. Yes, of course there would be some sadistic policemen taking matters into their own hands and using this as an excuse for target practice. That's unavoidable. You'll find rogue cops in every nation.

People were being killed everyday as part of the drug business - typical drug wars. Headless corpses left to rot in rice fields/sugar cane fields was not uncommon where we live.

You think I have a "I'm alright Jack" attitude because I'm gaining some benefit? You didn't read my post - all people are benefiting, especially the poor. It's not a "hasty conclusion" as you call it. It's actually happening right now, as we debate this.

Edited by tropo

15 minutes ago, tropo said:

My reports on the ground are indicative of what's going on in the nation as a whole. 

There is no "shoot on site" order. That's just fabricated nonsense. They have been rounding up users and dealers for the last 3 months. The users are cataloged, the dealers are jailed. The ones who are shot are the ones who resist arrest with deadly force. Drug dealers facing a life in prison will not be happy about surrendering. They will not be shot if they don't resist arrest. The area we inhabit was a particularly bad drug area. If one drug dealer was shot in each barangay or town, that would be a huge number nationwide. (there's 42,028 barangays in the Philippines). We haven't heard of one drug dealer being killed in our town of about 50,000 - but the jails are full to overflowing.

These kill numbers are being spun to make it seem far worse than it is. Why? Of course there's a big anti-Duterte group putting the worst possible spin on everything as they want him out - that's politics. Yes, of course there would be some sadistic policemen taking matters into their own hands and using this as an excuse for target practice. That's unavoidable. You'll find rogue cops in every nation.

People were being killed everyday as part of the drug business - typical drug wars. Headless corpses left to rot in rice fields/sugar cane fields was not uncommon where we live.

You think I have a "I'm alright Jack" attitude because I'm gaining some benefit? You didn't read my post - all people are benefiting, especially the poor. It's not a "hasty conclusion" as you call it. It's actually happening right now, as we debate this.

My hasty conclusion remark was in response to your suggestion that I only get my info from the newspapers.  You are not the only one who has direct contact with people in the Philippines.

I'm not getting into a back and forth as I do want to see the best for the country and those there including my friends.

I just hope Duterte is really the white knight you make him out to be and as for shoot on sight he happily goes into a media appearance and threatens to kill people.

You happen to think he's wonderful and I have reservations, I accept your view so try to accept mine.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

22 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

My hasty conclusion remark was in response to your suggestion that I only get my info from the newspapers.  You are not the only one who has direct contact with people in the Philippines.

I'm not getting into a back and forth as I do want to see the best for the country and those there including my friends.

I just hope Duterte is really the white knight you make him out to be and as for shoot on sight he happily goes into a media appearance and threatens to kill people.

You happen to think he's wonderful and I have reservations, I accept your view so try to accept mine.

I happen to think he's a guy who is doing some good. That's makes him good for the Philippines.

Now you say I think he's a "white knight" and "he's wonderful"... is there nowhere in between? If I can appreciate (and see) what he's doing, why would it automatically follow that I think he's a saint?

Imagine the currency he's gained among the Moro people in Philippines - serving the US president like that? Right now he'll be their hero... and a lot of fans all over SE Asian Muslim nations.

Edited by tropo

1 hour ago, tropo said:

A politician who is popular with the common people is rarely popular with liberals, establishments, generals, the rich and the businessman. In poverty stricken countries there is usually a need for some degree of socialism, social reform and anti corruption measures and often nationalism.

I remember how popular he was 20 years ago with the people I knew in Davao, a city few people had ever even heard of. He's now the president of the PI because of popular support. He's got to be rather special. I'd trust the people who vote for him before I'd believe anything that the lackeys who work for the people who own the world's media tell us.

On 9/6/2016 at 10:53 PM, nausea said:

I'll bet he does. You call the American president the son of a whore and you're not insulting one man (where I think he was coming from) but a whole country.

You don't think he gained a lot of fans in the US?  

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No.

I think you're wrong. Did you know there are over 4 million Filipino Americans? (that was a 2011 estimate). They'd be plenty of non-Filipino fans over there too.

Did you know he's very supportive of LGBT rights? 

Not sure if it's been mentioned already in this thread, but Obama intentionally snubbed Duterte Harry at the conclusion of the Laos summit by purposefully shaking hands with all other leaders except him. Ol Harry just can't keep his .44 magnum mouth holstered. Entertaining to watch, but the stakes get raised when you have somebody of an important country with the same lowlife characteristics as is now going on in the US Presidential election.

Edited by keemapoot

I think you're wrong. Did you know there are over 4 million Filipino Americans? (that was a 2011 estimate). They'd be plenty of non-Filipino fans over there too.

Did you know he's very supportive of LGBT rights? 

Your credibility is stretched. He calls the U.S. ambassador gay as an insult. He's a crude moron.

10 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned already in this thread, but Obama intentionally snubbed Duterte Harry at the conclusion of the Laos summit by purposefully shaking hands with all other leaders except him. Ol Harry just can't keep his .44 magnum mouth holstered. Entertaining to watch, but the stakes get raised when you have somebody of an important country with the same lowlife characteristics as is now going on in the US Presidential election.

They did shake hands on Wednesday:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-asean-summit-duterte-obama-idUSKCN11F06B

"U.S. President Barack Obama and Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte shook hands and had a brief chat on Wednesday, officials said, easing a standoff after Duterte called Obama a "son of a bitch" ahead of a summit of Asian leaders in Laos."

Here's another report telling a different story with some explanations:

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/09/08/16/no-duterte-obama-handshake-at-east-asia-summit

Good. He's a bombastic trump like buffoon and should serve as a warning to Americans not to make a similar mistake.