More Thais committing suicide - and the north is the worst hit

webfact

More Thais committing suicide - and the north is the worst hit

a3.jpg

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A leading mental health expert has warned that Thais are increasingly committing suicide - and the problem is at its worst in the north of the country.

Dr Somrak Chuwanichawong of Bangkok's leading Sri Thanya mental hospital was speaking at a conference entitle: "Depression and suicide - important issues of public health in Thailand", reported Daily News.

Doctor Somrak said that suicide in the country peaked at two times in recent history - during the 2007 Asian financial meltdown and when the AIDS epidemic broke.

But suicide amongst the population lessened when these crises abated and this had continued until recent times.

But now, she said that the country was experiencing a resurgence and depression was the main cause.

She said that the highest per capita suicide rate in Thailand was in the Northern Region. This, she suggested may relate to the northern characteristics of people keeping things to themselves and not letting go of stress as much as they should.

The Central and North Eastern regions have average figures and the Southern Region the least. In the Central area and Isan economic problems tend to cause most of the stress, she said.

Depression is rooted in many external causes, she said, and when combined with imbalances in the chemical make-up of the brain could lead people to suicide.

Depression that lasts two weeks should act as a warning signal that treatment by a doctor is urgently required.

There is currently only one psychiatrist per 250,000 people in Thailand while the target for the public health ministry is to have 1 for each 100,000 of the population.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-07

Why are they depressed in the Land of Smiles!?!?!?!?

Could it be because they can no longer cash in on fake rice sales?

Or maybe because they fear for their lives every time they go out on the roads.

Maybe because life there sucks except for the fat cats that are raping the country.

Maybe because if they complain they will have to have attitude adjustments.

Maybe because they see that their kids will never amount to much due to the poor educational system.

Nah!  Just chemical imbalances caused by too much fish sauce.

1 hour ago, Smiley Face said:

Maybe because life there sucks except for the fat cats that are raping the country.

Maybe because they see that their kids will never amount to much due to the poor educational system.

Your empathy is heart warming.

1 hour ago, Smiley Face said:

Ones total lack of tact and understanding is palpable.   Quite obviously Thailand is far better off for your departure.

19 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

The act of self killing is a kind of cowardice. Face your problems and think about your love ones before committing  suicide.

Yes, the ultimate selfish act

Depression comes in many forms from financial stress to realationship breakdowns etc.

One has to put oneself in their place to truly understand how a mind works to carry out a suicide and end it all.

Understanding and support can help prevent these type of tragedies but not always.

In Oz they have a are you ok day where you ask a mate if he's ok and if he wants to talk about any problems. It has taken off to an extent and at least it gives a person down on their luck a chance to vent and get some support and help.

29 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

The act of self killing is a kind of cowardice. Face your problems and think about your love ones before committing  suicide.

No it isn't ! It's a get out of jail free card , and others , like you , don't want you to be free .

My wife explained suicide and how it fits with buddism. If you take your own life you are in a state of pergatory, destined to live that day over and over, you dont move onward, upwards next life etc. In the west we can maybe gain some comfort, they are no longer tormented, at peace etc. 

4 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

No it isn't ! It's a get out of jail free card , and others , like you , don't want you to be free .

Have you ever experienced the carnage it leaves behind, lives are ruined. Yes you got out of jail free, often at the expense of those left behind.

37 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

Hardly cowardice,one would have to have been driven a long to do the final act. Serious illness and not wanting to burden loved ones can be a reason or intense pain with no hope of a cure or such emotional distress that one doesn't want to continue living, death of a small child for instance. Judgement is easy from a distance, and cowardly in its self.

2 hours ago, Smiley Face said:

You may be jesting, but you may not be far off the mark.  Contributing factors to suicide are many.  MSG is heavily used in Thailand, particularly in the north.  It's been shown to 'jangle' the cells in the brain.  It's particularly not good for youngsters.  Fish sauce, along with hundreds of other sauces and dishes, is heavily laden with MSG.  

I reside in northernmost Thailand.  I often visit hill tribes.  There is often a depressed vibe there.  Very few jobs.  Very little money to go 'round.  Bkk doesn't know and doesn't care.  I have some low-cost suggestions for improvements, but who's going to listen to an old farang about such matters?

"She said that the highest per capita suicide reate in Thailand was in the Northern Region. This, she suggested may relate to the northern characteristics of people keeping things to themselves and not letting go of stress as much as they should."

Her explanation of the problem is way too over simplified. 

Is she suggesting that Thais admit they have a perceived "weakness" and seek help? That would lead to something much worse than suicide...Losing Face. It's not a northern characteristic. It's a cultural characteristic to hide anything that might make one appear to be less than perfect. Once they do lose face, they have a way of "letting go". They attack the person whom they blame for their loss of face. 

Edited by jaltsc

1 hour ago, Raymonddiaz said:

Often people kill themselves due to the actions of 'love ones' Two of my family killed themselves over the actions of my brother in law- he was a peadophile.

55 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

My wife explained suicide and how it fits with buddism. If you take your own life you are in a state of pergatory, destined to live that day over and over, you dont move onward, upwards next life etc. In the west we can maybe gain some comfort, they are no longer tormented, at peace etc. 

Another example of how Buddhism is a religion based on fear.

i maintain people should have the right to take their own life, but then most of the ones that do just need some help. people are retreating into their own worlds. more people live alone with less and less family contact. social interaction is what gives a happy life not chasing consumerism. buying more junk is meaning less. unfortunately the trend to seek happiness through trying to get a more expensive house or newer car or phone is only going to increase and social interaction is only going to decrease. how many here are shying away from the real world when they should be down at the bar socializing with the natives. (dont fall in love if you live in a high rise)

Perhaps, but as with most other dolts here I can tell that you don't really know what you're talking about and never will until you're 'lucky enough' to face extreme stress.

I don't agree that it's a cowardly act, it takes a lot of guts to do that ... not that I would recommend it ... I guess most are mentally ill. So I'm a bit more sympathetic.

57 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Hardly cowardice,one would have to have been driven a long to do the final act. Serious illness and not wanting to burden loved ones can be a reason or intense pain with no hope of a cure or such emotional distress that one doesn't want to continue living, death of a small child for instance. Judgement is easy from a distance, and cowardly in its self.

I'd save your breath. Most people live simple, blinkered, I'm-alright-Jack lives and will never endure what folk driven to suicide do. All they can muster is the usual nauseating 'coward' line, which puts them on par with a toffee apple on the empathy scale. 

It's a good thing that this is being highlighted as traditionally mental illness is seen as a weakness here and not talked about. And yes, Thais suffer too. Doesn't matter where you come from, what background, how rich, how slim, how handsome, how clever, big man status, whatever, if it comes for you, look out!