What has Happened to Lazada ?

DavoTheGun

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Lazada.com is a privately owned Singaporean e-commerce company founded by Rocket Internet in 2011. As of 2014, Lazada Group operated sites in Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam and had raised approximately US$647 million over several investment rounds from its investors such as Tesco, Temasek Holdings, Summit Partners, JPMorgan Chase, Investment AB Kinnevik and Rocket Internet.

Its sites launched in March 2012, with a business model of selling inventory to customers from its own warehouses. In 2013 it added a marketplace model that allowed third-party retailers to sell their products through Lazada's site; the marketplace accounted for 65% of its sales by the end of 2014.

Wow, you are almost as smart as Wikipedia, or may be you are one and the same :coffee1:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazada_Group

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do have an idea how banking systems work Robblok, and I didn't really expect an instant refund nor a reasonable explanation from a guy on a help desk on a Sunday. I was mostly expressing my frustration with a company who tells me my product has been delivered one minute and then cancelled the next.

However, to take over a month to clear and refund a debit card is sheer bastardry by the banks and others!  By using delaying tactics and platitudes, these people retain the use of the public's money to gain profit on short term markets. It is possible for virtually all banking transactions to happen within one working day. yet they retain money that is not theirs to assist their profit margins!

Incidentally, using the term "security concerns" is just more BS used by many as an excuse. 

Ordered a modem yesterday morning, and just see on the tracking details that it arrived at Kerry Bangkok yesterday afternoon already, and is right now on the way from the Pattaya hub to my home.

Just to clarify. I ordered the same modem from another Thai E-commerce site on Sunday, and paid for it, which said goods would be delivered 2-3 days.

On Tuesday it wasn't shipped yet, so I called them up and was told it would be shipped Wednesday NEXT WEEK.

They then wanted to hold my money, which I transferred by bank transfer, for another 4 days but I gave them some strong arguments on that and was refunded right away.

With Lazada I ordered COD.

Edited by Anthony5

10 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

It does seem that the majority of those who are having 'issues' with Lazada aren't the sharpest tools in the box...

Painting with a broad brush there Jas the Base.

I hope you're capable of defending your perceived great intellect.

Their search function leaves a lot to be desired. If I clearly name exactly what I want including the category. In my most recent search for a particular camera lens for a particular camera, they threw up hundreds of other items but not what I was looking for. If they don't have that particular item why not just say so.

I have placed and received a number of orders in the past with no problem but this appears to be a change in policy. Has there been any changes in the company in recent times ?

17 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I do have an idea how banking systems work Robblok, and I didn't really expect an instant refund nor a reasonable explanation from a guy on a help desk on a Sunday. I was mostly expressing my frustration with a company who tells me my product has been delivered one minute and then cancelled the next.

However, to take over a month to clear and refund a debit card is sheer bastardry by the banks and others!  By using delaying tactics and platitudes, these people retain the use of the public's money to gain profit on short term markets. It is possible for virtually all banking transactions to happen within one working day. yet they retain money that is not theirs to assist their profit margins!

Incidentally, using the term "security concerns" is just more BS used by many as an excuse. 

Not really.. its how it works.. i agree its a long time.. but I have seen this before with companies that accept creditcard. My clients use payment providers and those take a quite some time to let creditcard payments clear. Then when they are finally cleared they have to remit it back to you. There is also a delay for you. Its just business and its not all a big conspiracy against you. 

Things just go slower with creditcard payments... bank transfers go faster but even those will take some time as you cant expect the people who work there drop everything and do your stuff first. They have others that have the same problem as you to process who had their problem before you. I feel you got unrealistic expediencies.  For non creditcard payments it should be 2 weeks or so (and that would be good and fast) Creditcards.. a month would be fast already. 

You say you have an idea how it works.. me too.. I see how it works in companies.. you probably only know how your stuff works. No offence meant but many people have no idea what it all takes to get things happen in a company especially a big company. 

40 minutes ago, Ron19 said:

Their search function leaves a lot to be desired. If I clearly name exactly what I want including the category. In my most recent search for a particular camera lens for a particular camera, they threw up hundreds of other items but not what I was looking for. If they don't have that particular item why not just say so.

I have placed and received a number of orders in the past with no problem but this appears to be a change in policy. Has there been any changes in the company in recent times ?

That is for sure the search leaves a lot to be desired. 

Good OP topic.

Have used Lazada for many items, up to a big TV and a dvd home theatre. Everything worked fine. always order COD. The only unusual experience was I ordered  an aircon, changed my mind 3 times. That is 3 orders and, finally 3 cancellations. No problems. Staff at call centre were located in Singapore and Philippines. spoke excellent English. followup emails were quick and easy to understand,. Many Thailand businesses will fail miserably, in ASEAN, unless they get their act together with the English language.

12 minutes ago, BaldPlumber said:

Buying from abroad via lazada adds no value, but certainly adds some cost.

Here's the value I get from ordering even Chinese crap from Lazada.  The price they list is the delivered price.  No adders for freight.  No surprises from customs.  The stuff just shows up.  Usually faster than I expect it.

The same program from EBay also adds significant cost. 

So far my experiences with Lazada have been pretty good.  I order by COD and always open the box to see if it is the right product before I pay.  The delivery guys never complain about that.   I have been able to get some US products that I had previously had shipped from Amazon US.  The cost is about the same, but delivery is a couple of days rather than 3 weeks.

But I have started ordering from Aliexpress.  So far so good.  Most of the little items I ordered arrived within 2 weeks.  Some are still trickling in.  It's not COD, so there is some risk, but the products are the same ones on Lazada and Amazon, but cheaper than either.   For instance, I am considering buying the Shiyun Z1 Smooth C gimbal for use with smartphones.  Amazon has it for $210 plus shipping via my mail forwarder which would be about $25.  Lazada has it for $285 (฿9900) with free shipping with delivery within 4 days.   Aliexpress has it from $179 with free shipping with delivery time up to 15 days.  Since I would be using my US credit card which will protect me, I am tempted to use Aliexpress.

I would prefer to do all transactions with Amazon, but under the circumstances Lazada and Aliexpress each seem to offer benefits.

First time used it two weeks ago.

Flawless. Zero problems.

Delivered on first day of announced date range.

Don't forget that Lazada is not a "huge warehouse" (Amazon like) but just an IT platform managing business to customer deals.

Much depends on the original supplier.

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Lazada is another Thai brain run outfit, where you order something and you're not allowed

to open the box, look at the item or god forbid test it before you accept delivery, like buying a cat in a bag,

so for me, as cheap as they're, they're not consumer's conscious company, as they're

there to cover their assess only.......

Lazada was founded and is still partly owned by "Rocket Internet" which is owned by the German Samwer brothers. It has several international investors and it doesn't only operate in Thailand but several other SEA countries.

8 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

Lazada was founded and is still partly owned by "Rocket Internet" which is owned by the German Samwer brothers. It has several international investors and it doesn't only operate in Thailand but several other SEA countries.

Rocket do indeed retain a stake, but Alibaba strongly control Lazada since April this year:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/12/alibaba-group-invests-1-billion-dollars-in-lazada-group-and-eyes-southeast-asia.html

Edited by rwdrwdrwd