British driver in collision on the Dark Side, Pattaya. Biker killed

webfact

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

For whatever reason a young man died and his family must be devastated ... but the important thing is will it mean some farang is out a few baht.

Amazing TV.

reason has "everything" to do with it.

Edited by kannot

1 hour ago, mrfaroukh said:

That is very sad. I don't understand why they don't fix these problems. The roads are also so bad that cause lots of accident. Myself fall one time in the hole which was covered by water and got 15 stich in my hand

understand right  now "they dont care" then realise this when you drive anywhere

5 hours ago, The manic said:

why oh why do the authorities nor clamp down on  old drivers? Elderly drivers kill more people than drug dealers but still they drive around with impunity... I have noticed Old men from Australia in particular flout the law. Let's all sign a petition now to keep old ozzie drunks off the road.

I think that the driving skills of  elderly drivers are the last thing to worry about when it comes to the daily carnage on Thai roads.

15 hours ago, justaphase said:

Why cost money cos someone ran into him?

I would imagine its easy to see who is to blame if the truck was hit from the side.

How so. The truck could be to blame for pulling out without looking, or the bike for a similar reason.

We have an older truck driver, on a badly lit road at night time. This road is poorly lit, I use it and know it.  Many older men wisely stop driving at night-time.

We have a young male on a motorcycle, chances of no helmet and no headlight.

There is also a chance alcohol was involved,  I have seen vehicles crawling and going side to side on this road.

Edited by jacko45k

hi just spontaneous ....accidents by the minute, lady boys crime gangs, corrupt police, harsh jail sentences for minor crimes, difficult always changing visa regulations, no legal security, the thai wife /gf/isaan family situation that usualy ends in financial mayhem for the foreigner, all kinds of strange gender mix situations etc..etc...

who wants to live in a shi....house like this ?????

pattaya phuket etc....???

Myself I never / very seldom met the above but I am not into drugpartys or babywhores neither a pusher nor a clown...my thailand is a beautiful plaace with lots of smile and good feelings....what I read here bewilders me but sure this is another maybe the real thailand...

Derogatory post - and Quoted Replies - Removed.

Someone has died, leaving friends and family behind who mourn his passing, and just may be reading this Forum. Post in like manner and receive a Posting Holiday

17 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

For whatever reason a young man died and his family must be devastated ... but the important thing is will it mean some farang is out a few baht.

Amazing TV.

ive seen the way most Thais ride bikes and it only a matter of time before this happens.

so why should the farang be out a LOT of baht if its proved it was not the poor old mans fault !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17 hours ago, nongsangcity said:

and as long as he has a Thai driving license.....or his UK license with a valid international one year license......without this the car insuranse will be Void...

Know the facts first before posting things like this.

16 hours ago, pattaya1234was said:

Not true. i have had a license for just under 20 years and I have to renew every five years

It is true !!   you got yours after many DLT's stopped them.

RIP young man l doubt if we will get to know whose fault it was. 

I agree with spetersen, lots of disrespectful posts, a young lad has tragically lost his life, as it so happens this boy was killed whilst on his way home after visiting my son, my son is understandably devastated by this.

Those who theorize on whose fault it was and automatically assume it was the motorcyclist fault because he 'slammed in to the side of the pickup' most obviously do not know the road well, if at all. I'm not going to make any judgments on whose fault it was, there is no point, the end result is the same, what I will say, is that it would have been absolutely impossible for the lad to hit the side of the pickup unless the pickup crossed his path somehow, the road is straight in that area and the boy was heading towards Pattaya on this straight piece of road and he did not come out of a side road!! 

RIP Young man, 15 is way too young to leave this life.

Edited by Mattd
spelling

18 hours ago, whatproblem said:

If he is legal he won't have to pay anything

don't hold your breath! I was T boned by a M/C in broad daylight when I was legally parked with the ignition turned off! when the BIB arrived I was told that I was at fault because I had insurance! had to go to the police station and see the chief to get this turned around! this happened In Ubon Ratchathani!

50 minutes ago, captspectre said:

don't hold your breath! I was T boned by a M/C in broad daylight when I was legally parked with the ignition turned off! when the BIB arrived I was told that I was at fault because I had insurance! had to go to the police station and see the chief to get this turned around! this happened In Ubon Ratchathani!

One often reads about unfair treatment of farangs by the police here but i can honestly say that in my dealings with them they have always treated me correctly and with respect, in a couple of cases i have been let off with a smile and an 'OK on your way' with no money changing hands. Possibly because i live in a small country town in Isaan. Once, having just got in the car and pulled away without buckling the seat belt i was waved over by a young newbie policeman and directed towards a desk set up on the pavement,it was occupied by two older policemen, as i walked over to them one of them laughed,got up and shook my hand and said to his companion 'that's alright leave him be i know him'

17 hours ago, sahibji said:

not under international traffic rules. police has to decide who was responsible for the accident.

As I said. I friend told me. I don't know about International Traffic Rules.

And very true about the police. I think if Foreign person involved; they will side with the Thai.

Until the Foreigner pay money to them to change mind.

23 minutes ago, bark said:

And very true about the police. I think if Foreign person involved; they will side with the Thai.

Until the Foreigner pay money to them to change mind.

No. Had a case myself in which the police took my side against a Thai and were extremely helpful. And asked for nothing.

How to Avoid Spreading Myths and Misinformation Online

2 hours ago, captspectre said:

I didn't say they wouldn't try and put you at fault ,same happened to me ,motorbike going wrong way down road at night ,no lights ,I stopped and 3 seconds later he hit me ,he was drunk ,police wanted me pay for hospital ,you have to fight them .

20 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

You have to renew your license every five years now, including a reaction and vision test.

This does not apply for Thais or expats that got their license over 12 years ago, they have one for life.

B S I have had my Thai license since 1986 and I still has to renew every 5th year.

why all this debate, those that LIVE HERE know the score, " farang he drive big truck, he rich man" although as you have read on this thread, even though a farang maybe totally innocent of any accident, he pays every time, (or his insurance does) this is Thailand. law of the jungle. first pay cops, pass go, then pay the guilty party, you can't make this crap up

8 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

why all this debate, those that LIVE HERE know the score, " farang he drive big truck, he rich man" although as you have read on this thread, even though a farang maybe totally innocent of any accident, he pays every time, (or his insurance does) this is Thailand. law of the jungle. first pay cops, pass go, then pay the guilty party, you can't make this crap up

Indeed they do...  which is why in my experience of living here I consider your statement completely incorrect...  

We (Westerners) are treated pretty much the same as Thai's...  In 'most cases' the 'car' will pay, as they are deemed to have Insurance and Money...  its the path of least resistance - BUT... some Westerners who experience this cry foul treatment and claim its 'blame the farang'...  Generally speaking this isn't true... what usually happens is 'the wealthier can afford do pay a little'.... 

Of course, IF you are willing to stand up for yourself and are Firm and Polite, this 'path of least resistance' changes... you will be treated more favourably... Or rather, the BiB will choose the 'next path of least resistance'... all the BiB are really interested is solving the situation as quickly as possible and if they can get away with it, make a little cash on the side... 

So... In short - The BiB will generally Try it on for the Poorer Party...  but you don't have to bend over and accept it, if you do... well, its your own fault for being weak. 

I just found out from my son who was a schoolmate to the boy, that the pickup truck came  out from a moo ban with now lights and entered the road without stopping, and the poor boy smashed in the rear en of the Truck. if this is the real case it won't be hard to determine the fault.

7 hours ago, captspectre said:

Thailand has the same illogical mentality regarding vehicular accidents as the Saudis when I was working in Saudi Arabia.

The company driver (Pilipino) was declared by the Saudi police to be at fault and put in jail while he was NOT at fault.

Contacted the Captain of the Police and asked him to explain how come our company driver was at fault when it was a clear case of the Saudi driver to be at fault.

The captain said, "If the Pilipino had stayed in the Philippines the accident would not have happen". End of discussion. Only thing the captain agreed on was to let the Filipino out of jail. While the company a Saudi company was ordered by the Saudi Police to pay for the damages caused by the Saudi driver.

LOL in LOS.

On 9/8/2016 at 3:58 PM, Docno said:

Only just over a week ago there was another instance of an older farang driver being involved in an accident in which a Thai (being on a motorbike) lost his life. Also in the Pattaya area: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/940572-80-year-old-british-driver-crashes-into-lighthouse-chef/

My 70 year old American friend gave up driving because he said his eyesight and reflexes were not what they used to be and he'd had too many close calls (plus backing up into a bus that he'd somehow failed to notice). I know everyone is different, but age takes its toll on all of us, so perhaps this plays a factor. I wonder if in Thailand there's some sort of compulsory regular testing of driving skills once you get past a certain age (I doubt it); they had this in Canada and my father dreaded it, but could see the reason for it also.

p.s. I'm not saying that the Brit drivers were responsible in either of these two cases, but it is a possibility, and age-as-a-factor is also a possibility

" I know everyone is different, but age takes its toll on all of us, so perhaps this plays a factor " along with the alcohol and drugs many younger people use, then drive.

4 minutes ago, swerver said:

Thailand has the same illogical mentality regarding vehicular accidents as the Saudis when I was working in Saudi Arabia.

The company driver (Pilipino) was declared by the Saudi police to be at fault and put in jail while he was NOT at fault.

Contacted the Captain of the Police and asked him to explain how come our company driver was at fault when it was a clear case of the Saudi driver to be at fault.

The captain said, "If the Pilipino had stayed in the Philippines the accident would not have happen". End of discussion. Only thing the captain agreed on was to let the Filipino out of jail. While the company a Saudi company was ordered by the Saudi Police to pay for the damages caused by the Saudi driver.

LOL in LOS.

By the same "logic" if the saudi had stayed home... etc