Toilet charges at 70 pay toilets at bus terminals lifted

webfact

Toilet charges at 70 pay toilets lifted

31_Bus-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Transport Ministry says it has now lifted toilet charges at 70 pay toilets at bus terminals nationwide and is considering to lift charges at the remaining 47 terminals.

The lifting of toilet charges was in response to the government’s policy to facilitate the people in using public pay toilets and to improve the public toilet standards that cover quality, cleanliness, hygiene, safe and sufficiency.

Transport department director general Sanit Promwong said after inspecting the progress in the improvement of all the department’s pay toilets at all bus terminals nationwide to meet official standards that toilet charges at 70 toilets from a total 117 within the bus terminals have been lifted.

The remaining 47 toilets where the charges could not be lifted because they were rented to the private sector to operate.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/toilet-charges-70-pay-toilets-lifted/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-09

If you took the time to read the article, the next line that is not quoted in the OP:

" But he said the department would negotiate with the private operators to fulfill the government’s free toilet policy soon. "

Edited by bino

"He said the department has a model of a standard toilet for all operators to improve or build with focus on cleanliness, hygiene and sufficiency to meet the growing number of passengers."

And as they are to be free to use who is going to cover the costs of building and maintaining hygiene/standards of cleanliness?

The toilets at Mo Chit Bus Station are absolutely disgusting since the change to free toilets.  I went in every bathroom a week ago and I literally couldn't find a stall that was both working and not covered in filth.  Before at least the toilets were usable.  Bring back the charge, paying 3 baht for a clean toilet is better than a free one that is too filthy to use

49 minutes ago, bino said:

If you took the time to read the article, the next line that is not quoted in the OP:

" But he said the department would negotiate with the private operators to fulfill the government’s free toilet policy soon. "

The toilets can be kept "free" for use IF the gov't simply pays the vendors a comparative wage to continue cleaning them. 

What am I missing here?

The Ministry is really working from the bottom with this initiative!

This Thai PBS article has literally lifted the lid on DG Sanitary Promwong's canning of the cost of going when you're going somewhere! 

It goes without saying, that the Ministry will be unlikely to do a paper on their "roll" in improving the public toilet standards that cover quality, cleanliness, hygiene, safe and sufficiency.

They must be flush with cash to make them free....unblocked, clean facilities could easily be funded by a few satang on the bus fares....but given the ASEAN effect, I guess they will all soon be of Singapore standard!!!!!

:gigglem: :P :sorry:

At the risk of getting flamed, this is one of the cases where my support of dual pricing is a selfish thing.

If Thai's don't want to pay for clean toilets, so be it.  

If my options are paying the Thai price (zero today)  or having a clean toilet, I'd gladly pay a 10-20 baht fee to have a clean toilet looking back at me when I'm peeing.  

I can imagine what the other gender has to put up with...

7 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

"He said the department has a model of a standard toilet for all operators to improve or build with focus on cleanliness, hygiene and sufficiency to meet the growing number of passengers."

And as they are to be free to use who is going to cover the costs of building and maintaining hygiene/standards of cleanliness?

I have always wondered what the charge is for.  Bathrooms reek of urine, there are brown and black stains on the walls, half the sinks don't work, some of the urinals or toilets don't work, there's no soap anywhere ... it's always seemed like racket to me.  There is usually a maid around, but I swear she is using only water to clean.

Why not try the German model?

At any service station along the Autobahns - to go costs your euro70cents.

For that you make your payment into the slot, and deposit your mess forthwith.

You received a token in receipt of your payment,

which gives you a full 70cent rebate towards purchasing something from the accompanying store.

Many a driver's coffee, from the machine, was half financed by a trip to the dunny.

Missus don't drink coffee, so my coffees actually felt like they became free, in the long run

Edited by tifino

6 minutes ago, tifino said:

Why not try the German model?

At any service station along the Autobahns - to go costs your euro70cents.

For that you make your payment into the slot, and deposit your mess forthwith.

You received a token in receipt of your payment,

which gives you a full 70cent rebate towards purchasing something from the accompanying store.

Many a driver's coffee, from the machine, was half financed by a trip to the dunny.

Missus don't drink coffee, so my coffees actually felt like they became free, in the long run

And the more coffee you drink the more you use the facilities and so forth. 

A self sustaining system if ever there was one...