Why a trip to your 7-11 could result in your violent and tortuous death from rabies

webfact

Don't blame the animals for the problem but blame the people. No, not those feeding the street animals but those that have abandoned them first hand so nature could take it's course.

Since action always calls reaction one may even call it Karma.

Thanks, fellow human. Well done. :wai2:

With best wishes from a dog and cat feeder.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The government does need to change its perspective as there is a fine for hurting a dog but there seems to be none for dogs hurting humans.

People do leave food in other people's neighborhoods to feed the packs of stray animals that cause problems.

It would be nice if instead of feeding they would adopt a dog or two and take them home.

The government does nothing when complaints are made.

Dogs and other animals should be sent to a farm somewhere outside of civilization or put down....

2 hours ago, kannot said:

...The times Ive  gone to 7-11 and seen a dog right in the doorway with all and sundry carefully stepping round it, I give it a  shove with my foot...

Be careful. You could get arrested for cruelty to an animal, held in a police cell until the next working day for a bail hearing, be released on bail of 200k Baht, and have your passport confiscated by the prosecutor's office until your trial six months later.

2 hours ago, kannot said:

The times Ive  gone to 7-11 and seen a dog right in the doorway with all and sundry carefully stepping round it, I give it a  shove with my foot

Now isn't that a PERFECT invitation for a dog to bite you, after you have attacked it? Utter stupidity. What is so difficult about stepping around it as others do? Those I've seen are docile enough if left alone.

But having said that, I completely agree with the article.

15 minutes ago, Richard Hall said:

It is easy to be biased against animals when one is a human. Bet many more people get harmed by people than street animals.

The topic is about been bitten by dogs outside 7/11, not about been bitten by humans with rabies. 

If you are feeding the dogs, you are contributing to the problem. But I guess you'll never understand this.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Since January 1st of this year until September 8th of 579 animals tested 276 were found to have rabies - very nearly half of all animals tested.

I know the article has been written to promote awareness to the threat of rabies, but releasing the above figures, without explaining the circumstances as to why the subject animals were tested leaves a lot to be desired. I for one do not believe for a moment that soi dogs (& cats) in general have that high a percentage of rabies. 

And just for clarity, I am not a soi dog lover; I am a dog owner, who has to be very wary every time i take them out.

The other thing about the article is the photo that is attached to it. Really bad choice of picture as i can almost guarantee you will never see a dog like that outside a 7-11 in Thailand or anywhere else for that matter.

Titanium teeth.jpg

That dog is probably worth $100,000 after it's training and the insertion of the titanium incisors............................;)

3 hours ago, Thian said:

I don't go to shops with many soidogs anymore, even not to shops who have their own guarddog. 

I was bitten by a dog in a shop and told the owner i lost 10K baht for injections but she didn't seem to care. The dog had vaccination she said but i told her my wife insisted me to go to the hospital and get injections. 

That dog still runs around in/out her shop at Kanchana phisek road.

You got ripped off big time for those injections.

Simple 3 step process :-

1)  Pass a law that all dog owners must have an ID chip implanted in their dog/s and registered within 6 months.

2)  After 6 months round up all dogs found on the street

3)  If dog has no ID chip they are put down, if they have a chip the owner is fined and they have to pay to have it vaccinated and returned else it is put down as well

27 minutes ago, vogie said:

The topic is about been bitten by dogs outside 7/11, not about been bitten by humans with rabies. 

If you are feeding the dogs, you are contributing to the problem. But I guess you'll never understand this.

Exactly, as a care taker of 21 former streets dogs and 65 former street cats on our premises, all neutered of course, I will never understand the human barking. :rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, trevoromgh said:

Simple 3 step process :-

1)  Pass a law that all dog owners must have an ID chip implanted in their dog/s and registered within 6 months.

2)  After 6 months round up all dogs found on the street

3)  If dog has no ID chip they are put down, if they have a chip the owner is fined and they have to pay to have it vaccinated and returned else it is put down as well

but there would be  no one to enforce it, or any other laws it seems

My guess is article stats are total BS....the gov has no idea how many people live bkk or any province. Do you know they don't even have a database of tracking drivers' accidents violations etc...

they don't have any reliable animal control dept or personnel so out of the blue they are gathering valid stats? Rabid dogs are extremely dangerous creatures to catch and control. So they have the competency and finances to perform this task? And they are then releasing them again? Hardly

if 50% # is correct so that means the soi dog population will be half in 2-4 weeks? Hardly and half again every month going forward?Hardly

other articles indicate a stable soi dog population if not increasing...

i do remember a American doctor who worked for a British non profit dog foundation in bkk many moons ago and one point he made was that rabid animals are extremely hard to find let alone to catch b/c they become completely anti social irrational  avoiding any human or other animal contact if possible. Their mind is in an altered state becoming crazy insane leading to a painful terrible death....

yes soi dog population is poorly managed actually not managed at all and now some guy is whipping out these ridiculous numbers....

this would be an incredible logistical project to undertake...tell me any project that you believe in Thai numbers and proper collecting methods and analysis? Hardly...

Edited by cardinalblue

7 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

My guess is article stats are total BS....the gov has no idea how many people live bkk or any province. Do you know they don't even have a database of tracking drivers' accidents violations etc...

they don't have any reliable animal control dept or personnel so out of the blue they are gathering valid stats? Rabid dogs are extremely dangerous creatures to catch and control. So they have the competency and finances to perform this task? And they are then releasing them again? Hardly

if 50% # is correct so that means the soi dog population will be half in 2-4 weeks? Hardly and half again every month going forward?Hardly

other articles indicate a stable soi dog population if not increasing...

i do remember a American doctor who worked for a British non profit dog foundation in bkk many moons ago and one point he made was that rabid animals are extremely hard to find let alone to catch b/c they become completely anti social irrational  avoiding any human or other animal contact if possible. Their mind is in an altered state becoming crazy insane leading to a painful terrible death....

yes soi dog population is poorly managed actually not managed at all and now some guy is whipping out these ridiculous numbers....

this would be an incredible logistical project to undertake...tell me any project that you believe in Thai numbers and proper collecting methods and analysis? Hardly...

Quote from the article “Since January 1st of this year until September 8th of 579 animals tested 276 were found to have rabies - very nearly half of all animals tested.

I imagine that the teachers at your school tried hard but your lack of comprehension was an impossible barrier.  I suggest you try reading slower.

4 hours ago, robertthesculptor said:

i truly question the validity of the claim that 50% of dogs and cats have rabies...

though I have a friend going through them now because of a spoild little dog Ina resort he was staying at...and there too the owner refused any help... 

50% of dogs and cats that have bitten people is what I'm sure he meant to say. No way its 50% of all, at least I sure hope.

I know the article has been written to promote awareness to the threat of rabies, but releasing the above figures, without explaining the circumstances as to why the subject animals were tested leaves a lot to be desired. I for one do not believe for a moment that soi dogs (& cats) in general have that high a percentage of rabies. 

And just for clarity, I am not a soi dog lover; I am a dog owner, who has to be very wary every time i take them out.

The other thing about the article is the photo that is attached to it. Really bad choice of picture as i can almost guarantee you will never see a dog like that outside a 7-11 in Thailand or anywhere else for that matter.

57d2a554f1b42_Titaniumteeth.jpg.728749a84b9663154fe2f25b2de9c181.jpg

That dog is probably worth $100,000 after it's training and the insertion of the titanium incisors............................[emoji6]

Really?
b48b0dd30163c34d1d347fea0b896358.jpg

Perhaps some enterprising chap or chapette could make a buck out of taking care of them one way or the other. Shop owner next to mine seems to genuinely care for the dogs outside her shop, but I'm going to have to try and explain to her that to truly "look after" them they need injections and treatment for mange and god only knows what else.

One poster previously said that giving a dog food while leaving it to look like one of the dogs from the resident evil series and letting them roam around like movie "the howling" is not worthy of "merit"

does anyone know who to contact within a district or area even if I was to pay for it myself?

I got a scratch off a dog when I was taking my shoes off to go into a temple. Luckily there were two ladies there who were selling caged birds for tourists to release and they cleaned up the scratch and pointed me to the nearest hospital. The hospital checked it and the ladies had done a good job. I also had it checked when I got home, it seems the first aid was enough. It's a good idea to have a small first aid kit to clean wounds, you might not be able to bring one on a plane, especially if it has small knives so you might have to buy one in Thailand. Shouldn't cost too much, from a few 100 baht for some antiseptic and bandages to a few thousand for a proper kit.