Freshman in coma after being forced into a waste water pond during a hazing session

webfact

A freshman is in coma after being forced into a waste water pond during a hazing session

image-2-wpcf_693x413.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- A student of a university in Si Racha is in coma in the ICU of Chon Buri provincial hospital with severe lung infection after he was forced to dive in a waste water pond by his seniors during a hazing ritual.

The incident was posted in the Facebook page of a netizen who was believed to be the elder sister of the victim identified as Chokechai Thongnuakhao or Boss.

Her message reads: “Yesterday (Sept 9), whichever senior who, while conducting a hazing activity in an unconstructive fashion, forced my brother to wash in a waste water pond until he drowned. It took two attempts of diving before he was retrieved from the pond. He is now in ICU with severe lung infection and in serious condition. Whichever seniors are responsible for the life of my brother?”

She gave further details of the hazing ritual that her brother went through. She said her brother was forced to wash in one pond, but the senior students thought he was not clean enough and forced him to wash in another pond. She thought her brother might feel tired and drowned.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/freshman-coma-forced-waste-water-pond-hazing-session/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-12

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely disgraceful. And even more shockingly the University have denied that it was even hazing at all, moreover a training exercise in which 100 senior staff were in attendance. The BP on their website showed the body of water in which the guy was made to swim, it looked truly dreadful, like a cesspit almost.

Up to now there has been absolutely no denouncement by any organization that has the balls to do anything, be it about the hazing or that students are forced to swim in filthy bodies of water as training. Appalling and farcical in equal measure :bah:

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

Before everyone gets totally wound up, there is a report in "that newspaper" explaining that it was a rainwater collection pond and not a sewage pond. Still not a nice place to swim. It is still an irresponsible and dangerous practice.

It is a swimming pond for the school. Not very nice but this is where the kids swim out in the country.

Unfortunately, The Law in Thailand does not provide adequate compensation for victims of stupid or negligent acts. Worse still, it's the victim's responsibility to prove that others are at fault (https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=19317).

If that's not bad enough, Siam Legal note that even if any compensation is awarded, it is unlikely to be substantial (http://www.siam-legal.com/litigation/personal-injury-claims-in-thailand.php).

This Thai PBS article notes that the victim's relative "...disclosed that on the same evening a lecturer called her claiming that the hazing activity was held by the students themselves without permission from the university and the university had warned them before not to go to the waste water treatment facility because it is dangerous..."!

Interestingly, the Bangkok Post is reporting that Kasetsart University would take responsibility for the incident. But, surprise, surprise, the university is saying the student's trip to the ICU was part of his maritime studies (and not, as Z42 above notes, hazing).

That's probably enough (under current Law in Thailand) to cover the university's duty of care, and save the police from the need to do anything about possible criminal activity.

If "real" reform is ever to happen in Thailand, then surely priority must be given to how the Law addresses Personal Injury Claims to adequately protect people (both Thai and foreigners) from rampant acts of blatant stupidity and criminal negligence.

Just now, Estrada said:

It is a swimming pond for the school. Not very nice but this is where the kids swim out in the country.

"...a swimming pond for the school ..."

Is that significantly different from a rainwater collection pond in which people can swim?

kasetsart-denies-hazing-put-student-in-coma.jpg

Edited by ratcatcher
add photo

I never knew what "hazing" was until recently watching an hour long documentary on it in American colleges.....truly barbaric......bullying of the highest order......something I had to deal with in my own school going days. My blood reaches boiling point to this day when I come across a case of .....bullying.

30 minutes ago, Estrada said:

Does it matter what the school uses the body of water for?

The thugs who forced the student in the water should be put on trial for  assault/GBH. 

At the very least they should all be expelled along with dismissal of any staff who were aware of what was happening. 

Scum. 

Edited by Bluespunk

51 minutes ago, ChoakMyDee said:

All hazing should be banned completely. It is a demeaning and bizarre practice and the participants have no choice...if they refuse, they aren't with the "in" crowd. Any school that allows hazing should have severe penalties.

The senior management of any school , college, university that allows any type of initiation / hazing to be undertaken, should be sacked on the spot, no but but but, no inactive post, just out the door on their sorry arse - together with the students initiating the event.

Edited by Artisi

46 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Does it matter what the school uses the body of water for?

The thugs who forced the student in the water should be put on trial for  assault/GBH. 

At the very least they should all be expelled along with dismissal of any staff who were aware of what was happening. 

Scum. 

So make someone swim in dirty water is assault these days?

Never been in the army I guess.

PC reaching never seen levels, only on Thaivisa.

1 minute ago, Anthony5 said:

Forcing someone to go into a body of water they didn't want to is assault, even more so when it leads to them going into a coma.

Lack of understanding of what PC is reaches stratospheric levels.

Deary, deary me...

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Forcing someone to go into a body of water they didn't want to is assault, even more so when it leads to them going into a coma.

Lack of understanding of what PC is reaches stratospheric levels.

Deary, deary me...

From the info in post #2 is clear that this was a training. Do they in the army training ask you if you PLEASE want to go in the water?

But never mind, as long as it earns you likes, you're the man

Inhaling this water can be deadly if it gets into your lungs, the bacteria/fungus is almost UN-treatable. Forcing some one into the water is dangerous as they may be inhaling at that moment and aspirate the water into their lungs.

2 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

From the info in post #2 is clear that this was a training. Do they in the army training ask you if you PLEASE want to go in the water?

But never mind, as long as it earns you likes, you're the man

From the link in the OP, the sister was quoted as saying 

''She disclosed that on the same evening a lecturer called her claiming that the hazing activity was held by the students themselves without permission from the university and the university had warned them before not to go to the waste water treatment facility because it is dangerous"

Please tell me where anyone mentions army training in the OP.

This was pack mentality thugs bullying those weaker than themselves.

1 hour ago, ChoakMyDee said:

All hazing should be banned completely.

Impossible.

You can't tell Thais what to do. Especially they're being told to stop an activity because it is dangerous and stupid. They will instead do it even more to spite you.

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

From the link in the OP, the sister was quoted as saying 

''She disclosed that on the same evening a lecturer called her claiming that the hazing activity was held by the students themselves without permission from the university and the university had warned them before not to go to the waste water treatment facility because it is dangerous"

Please tell me where anyone mentions army training in the OP.

This was pack mentality thugs bullying those weaker than themselves.

So only the info in the OP is credible, all following info as I quoted already post #2 is not.

Go on with your selective reading.

" the University have denied that it was even hazing at all, moreover a training exercise in which 100 senior staff were in attendance. "

Don't bother to reply, as I will not see it. Welcome to my ignore list.

Edited by Anthony5

Just now, Anthony5 said:

So only the info in the OP is credible, all following info as I quoted already post #2 is not.

Go on with your selective reading.

Don't bother to reply, as I will not see it. Welcome to my ignore list.

Ah poor you, losing the argument so heading off into a sulk.

Like I care whether I'm on your ignore list or not.

15 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

Well it has left the lad in Intensive care so yes I reckon it does count as assault.

And I can assure  you that certainly in the army I served in, if you made a soldier swim in dirty water and he ended  up in intensive care then you would be in very deep sh*t r indeed.

4 minutes ago, JAG said:

Well it has left the lad in Intensive care so yes I reckon it does count as assault.

And I can assure  you that certainly in the army I served in, if you made a soldier swim in dirty water and he ended  up in intensive care then you would be in very deep sh*t r indeed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-36844425

Rifles soldier Joshua Hoole dies after Army fitness test in Brecon

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/07/29/three-soldiers-die-in-training-this-week.html

Three Soldiers Die in Training Last Week

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/1-dead-4-nearly-drown-during-navy-seal-training-2016-n580086

1 Dead, 4 Nearly Drown During Navy SEAL Training In 2016

Edited by Anthony5

2 hours ago, ChoakMyDee said:

All hazing should be banned completely. It is a demeaning and bizarre practice and the participants have no choice...if they refuse, they aren't with the "in" crowd. Any school that allows hazing should have severe penalties.

Why would anyone want to be 'in' with a crowd that indulges in such barbaric practises? I'd keep them at arms length.

42 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

Gee, my dad used to put out cigarettes on my face, now someone tries it and everyone gets all PC about the issue. What are you <deleted> kidding me? A kid is in a coma.

19 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/07/29/three-soldiers-die-in-training-this-week.html

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/1-dead-4-nearly-drown-during-navy-seal-training-2016-n580086

And the people responsible for the activities which resulted in these deaths during training will be facing at least a rigorous court of enquiry.  If they are found to be in anyway negligent they will be facing disciplinary action.

24 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

It wasn't an army training exercise.

It was institutionalised bullying by a bunch of thugs.

When I enroll my children in University- I do it for higher education and that does not include  any type of 'exercise'; training or hazing that puts their life at risk. They are not joining the Armed Forces and therefore there is no connection between military training and a University program which leads o a degree.  Hazing should be banned completely as it has lead to many injries and even death.