62 per cent of students pass Grade 12 exam

geovalin

The third year of Grade-12 exit exams since a major overhaul of a system ridden with cheating has again produced reason for optimism, with 62 percent of students passing the now tightly monitored national test.

A total of 89,661 students sat the exam on August 22 and 23, with 55,753 passing, according to official results released on Saturday and yesterday by the Ministry of Education.

The figures represent an improvement from last year’s pass rate of 55.8 percent, which significantly improved on the disastrous 25.7 percent pass rate of 2014, the first year in which the government cracked down on widespread cheating.

read more http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/62-cent-students-pass-grade-12-exam

phnom_penh_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phenom Pen Post 12/09

And from what I understand, the students here are not allowed to fail. It is too great a loss of "face" to permit failure. So, what happens to the other 38 percent, who spent very little time, energy, focus, or effort trying to learn, to equip themselves for life in the outside world? 

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And from what I understand, the students here are not allowed to fail. It is too great a loss of "face" to permit failure. So, what happens to the other 38 percent, who spent very little time, energy, focus, or effort trying to learn, to equip themselves for life in the outside world? 

Do you know you are not talking about Thailand?

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

is it any different here in the LOS?

Different country, language, government and such.  Tonal language.  Food is different.   Thai infrastructure is a thousand percent more advanced than Cambodia.  GNP per capita is $31 Cambodia to $146 Thailand. Cambodia was on the communist side during the Vietnamese war and Thailand was on the other side and came out a lot better economy, education and so on......  Big difference really.  Cambodians if they want to make money come to Thailand not the reverse.  To support all these wonderful differences I guess you can assume the education system is quite a bit better.

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

ha, shows you how much attention i paid to the article.

I know how it can be.  You wrote, " i have several mates who are teachers and they are told to pass their students regardless." you get on an anti Thai trip and it's hard sometimes to distinguish between countries in South East Asia.   

5 hours ago, Scotwight said:

Different country, language, government and such.  Tonal language.  Food is different.   Thai infrastructure is a thousand percent more advanced than Cambodia.  GNP per capita is $31 Cambodia to $146 Thailand. Cambodia was on the communist side during the Vietnamese war and Thailand was on the other side and came out a lot better economy, education and so on......  Big difference really.  Cambodians if they want to make money come to Thailand not the reverse.  To support all these wonderful differences I guess you can assume the education system is quite a bit better.

thailand infrastructure and many other things are more developed largely due to outside help and technology.  you omitted one crucially relevant and important point;  cambodia had the french education system in its development. not difficult to argue the french system being better than thai system. 

42 minutes ago, atyclb said:

thailand infrastructure and many other things are more developed largely due to outside help and technology.  you omitted one crucially relevant and important point;  cambodia had the french education system in its development. not difficult to argue the french system being better than thai system. 

That is so funny you have not even bothered to read even the title of the thread.  This thread is about how bad the Cambodian education system is.  The French totally f'd up Cambodia.  The French administration neglected education.  Google some Cambodian history.  America saved Thailand and made it the economic Tiger of Asia from 1965 to 1975 while it's neighbors enjoyed the fruits of communism in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.  

18 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

That is so funny you have not even bothered to read even the title of the thread.  This thread is about how bad the Cambodian education system is.  The French totally f'd up Cambodia.  The French administration neglected education.  Google some Cambodian history.  America saved Thailand and made it the economic Tiger of Asia from 1965 to 1975 while it's neighbors enjoyed the fruits of communism in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.  

i agree with you. i glimpsed over some wording about a low % of students passing exams and my brain made an automatic association with thai education