Thailand organizes medical robot contest

webfact

Thailand organizes medical robot contest to further promote technological use

BANGKOK, 12 September 2016 (NNT) - The government has organized a tech contest to promote the use of technology for medical and healthcare purposes. 

The Thailand Center of Excellence for Life Sciences (TCELS) hosted the i MEDBOT Innovation contest 2016, which was aimed at attracting innovative technological creations, which can be applied to the development of medical robots and have the potential to be improved for commercial expansion. 

This year, 10 out of 18 teams made it to the final round of the contest and their works include such creations as an emergency medical robot, a dialysis machine and a massage machine to treat varicose veins and spider veins. 

After making their way to the final round, all teams were asked to demonstrate their innovations before a panel of judges. 

TCELS director Nares Damrongchai said that four criteria for the all candidates to address were the adaptability of their innovations to real-life use, the practicality of their innovations, the commercial potential of their creations, and their marketing plan. 

The winner of this year’s contest will receive a certificate and a 150,000-baht cash prize as well as an opportunity to see their technological device developed further for commercial application.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-09-12

Where do they buy robotparts in BKK? I really can't find it and most vendors don't even speak a word enlgish at all.

Most funny was yesterday in Chinatown, a big batteryvendor sold LION battery's, i asked her (in Thai) for Lithium-ferro batteries...mai mee lithium. She had loads of LION-batteries though. I tried to explain her that LION is also Li-ion but then her son came to help and he spoke english.

He said he didn't have lithium batteries at all, i told him that LION stands for Lithium Ion but he didn't believe me. 

Anyway, even in whole Chinatown i couldn't find robotparts and almost none of the vendors can speak english. Also they even don't sell good electric cables with real AWG-codes printed onto them. You can buy it but have to buy whole rolls which is far too much for a robot.

It surprised me that many of those technical shops are run by girls only, they have everything electrical parts but don't ask for latest technology because they have never heard of it. Also none of them shows any price which is really frustrating and wastes much time.

Why not move the whole Ban Mor, Klongthom to Phantip pratunam? Chinatown is very hard to visit by any way of transport. Also very hard to find your way while walking/driving in chinatown and the shops just close when they like. Yesterday at 16:00 pm they all closed...

Thailand could become the hub of robottechnology but they have to learn english and get decent supplyers first. Something like Akihabara from Tokyo or Shenzen elektromarket would be great....