Shop Owner Believes She Was Robbed by Economic Crime Suppression Division

webfact

Shop Owner Believes She Was Robbed by Economic Crime Suppression Division

Report by Pattaya One News Team

pat2.jpg

On Sunday Pattaya One Reporters found a notice on a shop window and decided to investigate.

The notice read:

‘Temporarily closed due to Economic Crime Suppression Division raiding our shop without any search warrant and seizing all the goods without making an inventory.’

The shop called Precious Brands is owned by thirty-seven-year old Ms Sipim Rattanatisroy who explained that at 6pm, on the evening of September 7, a man went to the shop asking to buy a brand new bag.

As Precious Brands only deals with second hand quality brands, the mystery man was told there were no new items at the shop.

Within twenty minutes he had returned with five other men who showed badges with the police shield announcing they were from the Economic Crime Suppression Division and wanted to search the shop.

They did not have a warrant but went ahead anyway.

Ms Sipim cooperated with the men by showing documents and receipts. However, they ‘confiscated’ thirty-six items, to the value of one-million baht, and ordered her to present the VAT receipt to them at their office in Soi Sakorn 8.

She says she tried to explain that she only sold second hand items and therefore had no VAT receipts but they ignored her and left the shop.

She has now made a complaint to the Pattaya police station who are reviewing CCTV evidence in order to try and identify the men.

Source: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/231568/shop-owner-believes-she-was-robbed-by-economic-crime-suppression-division/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2016-09-12

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Why not just go to the economic crime suppression division and ask them

Its happened before   the culprits turn out to be  either ex  members of  the organisation they claim to be from  or  just totally fake ( not ) members of the organisation they claim to be from.   Its almost impossible to stop 5 or more bully boys from getting what they want when they turn up unexpectedly.

2 hours ago, johng said:

Its happened before   the culprits turn out to be  either ex  members of  the organisation they claim to be from  or  just totally fake ( not ) members of the organisation they claim to be from.   Its almost impossible to stop 5 or more bully boys from getting what they want when they turn up unexpectedly.

you need to be paying a cop a monthly fee to help with this sort of stuff. my manager pays a local cop 1000thb per month just to have  someone to call.

5 hours ago, frodo77 said:

36 items valued at over 1 million baht. You have to be kidding me.

take a trip down to chanel / hermes stores....big bags average over 200,000 each. On the 2nd hand market its probably only 20-30% lower than new price depending on the model / condition..

....so many 'special' people here....

...define 'special'.....full of !@#$%^&*(....to be polite about it....

...problem is....

...so many 'special' people around here....

....do anything straight or legitimate......???

...out of the question it seems....

3 hours ago, Basil B said:

Do they actually answer the phone these days???

Yeah, I know.  And I am sure a lot of the people in general prefer less police involvement as possible too, but still, if you are going to complain later, and post signs and issues, well, make a stink up front.  Of course they probably know that there is a good chance for more problems if they complain.

On 12/09/2016 at 3:29 PM, williamgeorgeallen said:

you need to be paying a cop a monthly fee to help with this sort of stuff. my manager pays a local cop 1000thb per month just to have  someone to call.

Almost every bar owner in Pattaya has to pay the police to stay away.  It costs my neighbour 24K a month.  Another friend was 'fined' 50K for making himself a coffee in his bar kitchen - he was adjudged to be 'working without a permit': the bar was closed at the time.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Almost every bar owner in Pattaya has to pay the police to stay away.  It costs my neighbour 24K a month.  Another friend was 'fined' 50K for making himself a coffee in his bar kitchen - he was adjudged to be 'working without a permit': the bar was closed at the time.

i have quite a few stories like that. if you own a business you cant do anything and are better off not going there during opening hours. did you hear about the bar owner who got done for no work permit for sitting in his bar talking to the customers? official fine is 8500thb for no work permit but they are good at extorting a lot more than that if they want to. all up over 2 years i lost 80K for not having the right address in my work permit when i used to run my business. never hand over your passport, once they have that things start getting expensive. better to stay out of any business in thailand.

On 9/13/2016 at 2:58 AM, gk10002000 said:

Why don't the people call the police as soon as the "agents" start demanding things? 

2 of my ex staff stole from my business. i went to the police with copies of their ID. the cops asked for 1000thb to make a report. i had to go sort it out myself. unless you are paying off the cops they will not help you. learnt that lesson the hard way. since starting monthly problems a few years ago we have not had a single problem with anyone.

19 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

2 of my ex staff stole from my business. i went to the police with copies of their ID. the cops asked for 1000thb to make a report. i had to go sort it out myself. unless you are paying off the cops they will not help you. learnt that lesson the hard way. since starting monthly problems a few years ago we have not had a single problem with anyone.

Yep.  I understand believe me.  Our family restaurant was in downtown Providence RI right in the middle of the graft, kickback, friendly health inspector, liquor commission, etc.  not to mention the organized crime aspect outside of the public officials!  this was back in the 70s and people that complained seemed to have a lot of "failures" in their business front windows!

Noting the above comments about Police corruption, is there no way of alerting Prayut?  Is there no way to resist this blackmail?  What if all bar owners said NO?

How is this money paid?  Would footage of bag-men collecting posted on FB be a deterrent?

16 hours ago, mikebell said:

Noting the above comments about Police corruption, is there no way of alerting Prayut?  Is there no way to resist this blackmail?  What if all bar owners said NO?

How is this money paid?  Would footage of bag-men collecting posted on FB be a deterrent?

It all depends on how deep Prayut goes, or wants to go.  Of course there is some local tea money, mild look the other way stuff going on everywhere in many facets of every day life.  But how straight is Prayut, or how many internal matters does he want to get involved with?  Every beach chair vendor space issue?  Every taxi license issue?  Every food vendor cart stopping location allocation?  How many in his "administration" are squeaky clean?  How much would he want to possibly risk undermining his support if he tries to straighten every single official in Thailand that takes any sort of help money?

Edited by gk10002000
additions