Win 10 boot time?

Scotwight

About the same...if I turn my head to glance else where for a few seconds and then look back at the computer it's already booted up.  Of course everyone's boot time will be different depending on the horsepower of the computer, whether having a SSD or HDD, number of programs in their boot-up sequence, etc.

It's called Fast Startup. I have Win 8.1 but the menus in Windows 10 are very much the same so right click the Start button and click Power Options.

Then click the link to "Choose what the power buttons do". Scroll down to the bottom of the menu and you'll find Fast Startup there. You can disable it if you wish in which case boot time will take approximately 20-30 seconds.

More info on the subject here: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/what-is-fast-startup-windows-8-disable-it/

2 hours ago, Xircal said:

It's called Fast Startup. I have Win 8.1 but the menus in Windows 10 are very much the same so right click the Start button and click Power Options.

Then click the link to "Choose what the power buttons do". Scroll down to the bottom of the menu and you'll find Fast Startup there. You can disable it if you wish in which case boot time will take approximately 20-30 seconds.

More info on the subject here: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/what-is-fast-startup-windows-8-disable-it/

When you shut down a computer with Fast Startup enabled, Windows locks down the Windows hard disk. You won’t be able to access it from other operating systems if you have your computer configured to dual-boot. Even worse, if you boot into another OS and then access or change anything on the hard disk (or partition) that the hibernating Windows installation uses, it can cause corruption. If you’re dual booting, it’s best not to use Fast Startup or Hibernation at all.

Depending on your system, you may not be able to access BIOS/UEFI settings when you shut down a computer with Fast Startup enabled. When a computer hibernates, it does not enter a fully powered down mode. Some versions of BIOS/UEFI work with a system in hibernation and some do not. If yours doesn’t, you can always restart the computer to access BIOS, since the restart cycle will still perform a full shutdown.

http://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

Thanks Xircal and Scot  I thought I would check my PC  (It has the ASUS MB which enables dual booting or  at least one or the other )

observed that I can facilitate the fast boot on my SSD but on the other drive I do not have this option but both Win 10 64 bit OS?

1 X SSD  120GB  This SSD has the fast boot option

1 X HDD 1000GB    This HDD does not

Edited by n210mp
layout

11 hours ago, n210mp said:

Thanks Xircal and Scot  I thought I would check my PC  (It has the ASUS MB which enables dual booting or  at least one or the other )

observed that I can facilitate the fast boot on my SSD but on the other drive I do not have this option but both Win 10 64 bit OS?

1 X SSD  120GB  This SSD has the fast boot option

1 X HDD 1000GB    This HDD does not

The SSD is the boot drive where the OS and program files are installed. The other HD is just for storage where you can download videos and mp3 files to along with whatever data you create yourself. You can also download the latest graphics drivers to the slower mechanical drive since they're in compressed format. When you run the installation though, the installer will integrate the files on your SSD automatically.

14 hours ago, Scotwight said:

When you shut down a computer with Fast Startup enabled, Windows locks down the Windows hard disk. You won’t be able to access it from other operating systems if you have your computer configured to dual-boot. Even worse, if you boot into another OS and then access or change anything on the hard disk (or partition) that the hibernating Windows installation uses, it can cause corruption. If you’re dual booting, it’s best not to use Fast Startup or Hibernation at all.

Depending on your system, you may not be able to access BIOS/UEFI settings when you shut down a computer with Fast Startup enabled. When a computer hibernates, it does not enter a fully powered down mode. Some versions of BIOS/UEFI work with a system in hibernation and some do not. If yours doesn’t, you can always restart the computer to access BIOS, since the restart cycle will still perform a full shutdown.

http://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

What makes you think the OP has a dual boot?  I don't see any mention of that anywhere.

As regards the UEFI partition, Fast Startup doesn't prevent the user from accessing it. Generally speaking hitting F2 when the manufacturer's logo appears on screen will take you there. If that doesn't work try F12.  In any event it'll tell you in the user manual which key to press.

What the user won't be able to do is to access Safe Mode during boot up with Fast Startup enabled. For that he'll either have to use MSCONFIG or the Change PC Settings menu accessible from the desktop using Windows key + i.

Edited by Xircal
corrected spelling mistake.

While on the topic of dual hard drives, you should check the system settings for the swap file. In my case Windows had put it on the big and slow HDD, and my system would slow to a crawl after a while. After moving it to the primary SSD, it's been working so much better.

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-move-page-file-in-windows-10-to-another-disk/

47 minutes ago, Xircal said:

What makes you think the OP has a dual boot?  I don't see any mention of that anywhere.

As regards the UEFI partition, Fast Startup doesn't prevent the user from accessing it. Generally speaking hitting F2 when the manufacturer's logo appears on screen will take you there. If that doesn't work try F12.  In any event it'll tell you in the user manual which key to press.

What the user won't be able to do is to access Safe Mode during boot up with Fast Startup enabled. For that he'll either have to use MSCONFIG or the Change PC Settings menu accessible from the desktop using Windows key + i.

I'm the OP

12 minutes ago, Pomthai said:

Better still, 16gigs of RAM and no swap file at all alongside an SSD for the OS and an i7 4470K running at about 4ghz 15 secs from post. 

I have 32 gigs RAM and SSD.  I don't think my computer ever writes to my page file.  Would it make it faster to disable my swap file?

8 hours ago, Xircal said:

The SSD is the boot drive where the OS and program files are installed. The other HD is just for storage where you can download videos and mp3 files to along with whatever data you create yourself. You can also download the latest graphics drivers to the slower mechanical drive since they're in compressed format. When you run the installation though, the installer will integrate the files on your SSD automatically.

Thanks for that Xircal  but I failed to mention that both  my HDD and the SSD have Win 10 OS with their own programs  on them and can be booted separately, I'm still figuring out how to use the HDD for pure storage and let the SSD just be the start up boot device

I have an idea that maybe I have to save my files on the HDD, take off the primary boot partition on the disc then  and then  just use a path to the HDD for storage from my SSD?

22 hours ago, Scotwight said:

I have 32 gigs RAM and SSD.  I don't think my computer ever writes to my page file.  Would it make it faster to disable my swap file?

Some programs are hard-coded to look for the existence of a swap file, and if they don't find one won't load or lose some functionality, so it's generally a good idea to have at least a small one.  I forget how I settled on this size, but I have an 800MB swap file on my boot drive.

If you want to see if your swap file is being used, set it for variable size, like 128MB min and 8GB max.  Before you shut down, check the size of the file on your C: drive.  If it's still 128MB, it probably was never used.  If the system used more than 128MB (up to 8GB) it would have increased the file size and it would have stayed that size, i.e. it never reduces the size back down to 128MB until you reboot and it starts fresh again.

Yeap, just google something along the lines of "do I need a paging file" and read the various articles/posts.   I know one time about two years ago when still using Win 7 on a computer with 4GB RAM I tried going without a page file, but I got strange errors when using some light-duty software....turned the paging file function back on and problem went away.  Some apps expect to see a paging file...and not using a paging file can also make inefficient use of your RAM regardless of the amount you have....even a system with  64GB of RAM.  Below is just one example of some info you can find when googling regarding the paging file.   My gosh people, drives are so large now why worry about a few hundred megabytes or even a few gigabytes of space set aside for a swap file which by default is automatically managed my Windows to resize itself as needed.

http://superuser.com/questions/810170/should-i-disable-swap-file-if-i-have-lots-of-ram-or-should-i-move-it-to-a-virtua

No matter how much RAM you have, you want the system to be able to use it efficiently. Having no paging file at all forces the operating system to use RAM inefficiently for two reasons. First, it can't make pages discardable, even if they haven't been either accessed or modified in a very long time, which forces the disk cache to be smaller. Second, it has to reserve physical RAM to back allocations that are very unlikely to ever require it (for example, a private, modifiable file mapping), leading to a case where you can have plenty of free physical RAM and yet allocations are refused to avoid overcommitting.

Consider, for example, if a program makes a writable, private memory mapping of a 4GB file. The OS has to reserve 4GB of RAM for this mapping, because the program could conceivably modify every byte and there's no place but RAM to store it. So immediately, 4GB of RAM is basically wasted (it can be used to cache clean disk pages, but that's about it).

You need to have a page file if you want to get the most out of your RAM, even if it's never used. It acts as an insurance policy that allows the operating system to actually use the RAM it has, rather than having to reserve it for possibilities that are extraordinarily unlikely.

The people who designed your operating system's behavior are not fools. Having a paging file gives the operating system more choices, and it won't make bad ones.

There's no point in trying to put a paging file in RAM. And if you have lots of RAM, the paging file is very unlikely to be used (it just needs to be there) so it doesn't particularly matter how fast the device it is on is.

17 hours ago, n210mp said:

Thanks for that Xircal  but I failed to mention that both  my HDD and the SSD have Win 10 OS with their own programs  on them and can be booted separately, I'm still figuring out how to use the HDD for pure storage and let the SSD just be the start up boot device

I have an idea that maybe I have to save my files on the HDD, take off the primary boot partition on the disc then  and then  just use a path to the HDD for storage from my SSD?

Usually when you want to save files to a particular location you would use the "Save As" option rather than just "Save" and then choose where to put it.

Same goes for downloads. On Firefox which is what I use, there's an option in the General menu which you can enable called "Always ask me where to save files" instead of the default which sends everything to the "Downloads" folder on your SSD.

If you want to cut down on the number of writes to the SSD which increases wear and tear you could move the Page File to the HDD. You'll find instructions in this Lifehacker article if you're not sure what to do: https://lifehacker.com/5802838/how-to-maximize-the-life-of-your-ssd

Here's a screenshot of the Firefox General menu where I have the "Ask me where to save files" enabled.

FF_General_menu.PNG

19 hours ago, Xircal said:

Usually when you want to save files to a particular location you would use the "Save As" option rather than just "Save" and then choose where to put it.

Same goes for downloads. On Firefox which is what I use, there's an option in the General menu which you can enable called "Always ask me where to save files" instead of the default which sends everything to the "Downloads" folder on your SSD.

If you want to cut down on the number of writes to the SSD which increases wear and tear you could move the Page File to the HDD. You'll find instructions in this Lifehacker article if you're not sure what to do: https://lifehacker.com/5802838/how-to-maximize-the-life-of-your-ssd

Here's a screenshot of the Firefox General menu where I have the "Ask me where to save files" enabled.

FF_General_menu.PNG

Thanks once again Xircal