Strange

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Strange said:

No I have a financial safety net that has allowed me to sit around and not work for the better part of a year and a half. I could do so for another year if I wanted to but I don't think I want to. Im only out of work temporarily and its the name of the business. 

I know that blanket statements like "Thais are _____"  are crummy, and there are a lot of good hearted thai people. But yes, I do have a problem with being viewed as a foreigner. The wife & family might not look at it like that but for the sake of government and law, we will always be a foreigner. Speak all the thai you want, spend all the money you want, hang out at the best places, whatever. Still a foreigner. I don't like that. You have no right to property. No accountability. It bothers me. It didn't before, but the older I get i guess it does.

Im happy you like it here and have made a nice place for yourself. I have a great place here too. I have a rented 3 bed 2 bath detached house, car, motorbike, big bike, dog... 50/10 internet. 

Im just starting to feel that there is more to life than sitting here. Working or not. 

In Thailand when my wife divorces me she'll get her own house.:cheesy: 

You may think me crass but I got divorced twice in the USA.  If you live by yourself in an area that the State has no interest in and have done a good title search you may have a right to property in Florida.  Your wife may divorce as soon as it becomes more profitable to be single rather than married.  Mine waited till we had two kids and three houses and two cars.  My half of the settlement was nothing.  My second wife waited even less time and my half of the settlement was again nothing.  You may think I'm stupid but I know a dentist in Florida who slept in his dental chair for two years after his divorce. 

You have more than a 50% chance of getting a divorce in America.  Would you buy a house in Thailand if you only had a 50% chance of keeping it?

Edited by Scotwight

13 hours ago, Strange said:

Starbucks is an off the hip worst case scenario. In this example, at 16 hours a week, she would be entitled to full benefits. Retirement fund, medical insurance, etc. Now working 16 hours a week she would not be able to contribute much, however, with me working I can contribute to all of these things. Its basically working 16 hours to be entitled to benefits. In my work, I can not get these things due to my employer being foreign. 

Also has the benefit of exposing her to US work life and people and gives her a chance at meeting people. Is it the perfect job? Hell no. Is it a place to start? Of course.  Will she probably make less than Thailand? Probably. What about if she decides she likes working? Where will she be in 10 years? 10 years from now she could have a nice career. What about thailand 10 years from now? Most likely no different or she gets fired because she is getting older. 

Now to be frank, the wife does not have to work. I make enough and will make enough to support us both including kids if they come into the picture. 

Is the little misses fluent in spoken and writte English...if not , she ain't gonna be working at Starbucks or anywhere similar. What's her TOEIC or TOEFL score...has she ever been tested? There's lots of Americans lining up for good jobs...wifey would be at the back of the line.

5 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Firstly, your wife will always be a foreigner in America, even if she becomes a citizen.  But let's be honest here, no one likes to listen to people bashing their home.  I've made a few comments about America and you see how sensitive people are.  That's normal.  So why do you think that you can bash other people's home with impunity?  Peace.

No, she will not be a foreigner if she is a citizen. If she is a citizen then that would make her just as much "American" as anyone else. No immigration checks, no passport checks, can own property free and clear, protected by law. On and on and on. Just as much an american as you or me. 

Now its up to her if she wants to utilize that opportunity and believe in it. The reverse is that I will NEVER be Thai. NEVER have a passport. Never protected by any law. 

The things I have said about thailand are true. I'm not bashing. Im not going to extremes. They are fact. For some reason this bothers the hell out of you. Your last like 20 posts have been you going to strange extremes to try and show how big you are and how thai you are.

24 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Is the little misses fluent in spoken and writte English...if not , she ain't gonna be working at Starbucks or anywhere similar. What's her TOEIC or TOEFL score...has she ever been tested? There's lots of Americans lining up for good jobs...wifey would be at the back of the line.

Completely false statement, trying to characterize the entire USA with one sentence

Where I live in Florida, 90% of the people moved here because they are retired.

There are tons of jobs at Walmart, Super Market, Lowes, restaurants and everywhere else they never can fill.

So it is not all doom and gloom.

Have some Thai ladies working at the Walmart near my house so anything is possible

Ive pretty much come to the conclusion that Thailand is boring as hell and expensive if you want nice things. And by nice things I mean a good clean apartment with central air, carpet, full kitchen with a damn oven, lighting quick internet, gym & pool facilities etc. Literally all these things I can in an apartment complex in Tampa for about $1000 a month. With my credit score and the amount of time I will be in the states in a year I can lease a damn Mercedes Benz for a reasonable price. 

If u find Thailand "boring" and if u can't find "a good clean apt. w/central air, full kitchen w/oven, super fast internet and gym/pool for $1000/mo.", I suggest u are WAY outta touch with life here and should rtrn to wherever the hell u came from!!...

I wouldn't stay here if money wasn't an issue. Theypay my partner too much and if that wasn't the case there are many places I would rather be. My partner gets hardship bonuses if that makes sense. 

So we stay here for the money but if all things were equal I would not hesitate to get on the plane tomorrow. Everything is expensive and pretty much substandard. Rent is the exception to the rule but you have to move around every second year before your "luxury" condo begins to crack and fall apart. The inefficiencies here add up and it over all for value is a tremendous waste of money if you appreciate the finer things in life. 

20 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

I wouldn't stay here if money wasn't an issue. Theypay my partner too much and if that wasn't the case there are many places I would rather be. My partner gets hardship bonuses if that makes sense. 

So we stay here for the money but if all things were equal I would not hesitate to get on the plane tomorrow. Everything is expensive and pretty much substandard. Rent is the exception to the rule but you have to move around every second year before your "luxury" condo begins to crack and fall apart. The inefficiencies here add up and it over all for value is a tremendous waste of money if you appreciate the finer things in life. 

It is great to read some honest comments for a change.

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Firstly, your wife will always be a foreigner in America, even if she becomes a citizen.  But let's be honest here, no one likes to listen to people bashing their home.  I've made a few comments about America and you see how sensitive people are.  That's normal.  So why do you think that you can bash other people's home with impunity?  Peace.

This ....the least bright  statement in this thread :) 

Unless your an American Indian everyone is a foreigner in the USA 555 :)

That aside your statement  is total hooey

My wife moved to the US in 2007...Got a 2 yr temp resident green card &

Immediately was give a SS# & a work permit

After the 2 year card expired she was automatically given a 10 year permanent resident card

One year into that card she applied for & obtained full US Citizenship

She now holds both a Thai & US passport & is fully/legally a citizen of both countries.

She was never considered as you say a foreigner but then she also spoke English quite well...

I think you totally miss the point that America always was & always will be a melting pot of muti-nationalities

America is also smart enough to capitalize on that fact.

Hence the work permit & SS# being give to her days after arrival.

Because the USA unlike Thailand is more than happy to accept the taxes given by workers of any nationality legally

residing in the USA...America also opens its citizenship to those legally residing in America.

Five years later we moved back to Thailand it is funny & perhaps because she is fair skinned but while in the USA

she may have been asked once or twice in passing where she was born etc as she does have a slight accent...

but she is more often asked in Thailand if she is 100% Thai or luk klung/half That half Western

As to your America sensitivity comment nope wrong again..I think the US has fallen terribly in foreign policy & too often is

acting as world police...We dont care for nor support that at all..but your comment about folks always being treated as a

foreigner in the largest melting pot in the world is both false & is silly at best...Spoken like a true Archie Bunker

All places have good & bad points...but your racist comments  are just  overblown & fear mongering at best.

5 hours ago, Berkshire said:

The rights afforded Thai nationals in the USA are up and beyond anything you will ever get in Thailand. Let's be honest.

I'm back in the U.S. now. I have a home here and a vehicle! I find it about the same price as Thailand!

Money wise I see absolutely no difference. Playing and having fun? A huge DIFFERENCE. Thailand is a lot of fun for a single guy. One of my favorite places.

Edited by garyk

2 hours ago, garyk said:

I'm back in the U.S. now. I have a home here and a vehicle! I find it about the same price as Thailand!

Money wise I see absolutely no difference. Playing and having fun? A huge DIFFERENCE. Thailand is a lot of fun for a single guy. One of my favorite places.

We just moved back 2 months ago & see it the same as you

meaning prices are pretty much exactly the same if the same parameters are used.

We owned a place in Thailand & own a home here so those are a wash

I do agree about Thailand being fun too. Not just for single guys as my wife & I had great years there with friends

& look forward to returning. I love the vibe & ease with which I can get something in Chiang Mai or be at a great place to eat, shop, swim etc

so easily. Then again we live in the mountains/country here so getting to town etc is 40min :)  But then again this has its own unique beauty

So many great places in this world...would be nice if we were all able to choose any location anytime

On 9/13/2016 at 1:08 AM, autanic said:

I have had enough too of Thailand. I split my time between the UK and Thailand which amounts to around 6 months UK and 6 month Thailand.

I rent an apartment, which is super cheap and by the beach.

Members of this board have a phrase they call "Thai Bashing".  I am one of the main offenders because I have the audacity to complain about the "Crackdown" on Foreigners instead of taking up the jack-sea.

Let me make myself absolutely clear so there cannot be any misunderstandings. I love the Thai People. The over-whelming majority of them are decent and really nice, friendly people. Great People.

I cannot fault Country either, good weather most of the year and when it does rain, its because it is desperately needed.

No on to what really gets my goat.  The media will report a story, where 33 people are arrested for drug offences. Three of them will be falangs and they will have their pictures all over the paper, in handcuffs. The others will be Thais who are anonymously going about their business.

Laws passed, where falangs must carry around a sim card so the authorities know exactly where they are, who they are talking to and what their web browsing habits might be.

90 days reporting to the Police or Immigration, where you are made to feel like a bum, freeloader for having the gaul of staying in Thailand.  What will you be doing here ?  Nothing, just relaxing.  I encountered a month ago.

It is a build up of my animosity which is not good for me.  I feel resentment everywhere I go. I feel like an outsider, a freak.

That is why I have made the decision not to return to Thailand for the foreseeable future, as I am currently in the UK. 

At the end of the day, I am fortunate to be in the position, where I do not burn bridges and should I decide to return to LOS, I can, no problem.

My frame of mind at the moment, is what I am going back to Thailand for ???

There are many other Countries in South and South East Asia, which I would like to spend some of life, I am kite blowing in the wind, lets see which one wants foreigners to spend money,  rather than putting off foreigners.

What does "taking up the jack-sea" mean?

8 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Completely false statement, trying to characterize the entire USA with one sentence

Where I live in Florida, 90% of the people moved here because they are retired.

There are tons of jobs at Walmart, Super Market, Lowes, restaurants and everywhere else they never can fill.

So it is not all doom and gloom.

Have some Thai ladies working at the Walmart near my house so anything is possible

Working at Walmart is allot different than working at Starbucks...frankly, I doubt the typical Thai girl could hack working at either workplace; and not because they're not hardworking but because of the language and workplace culture issues. That's why most Thais in foreign countries end up working for other Thais.

On 9/12/2016 at 3:48 PM, tonray said:

OK...see ya. Have a nice trip back. Thanks for letting us know your plans. And please delete you account..nothing worse than an ex expat posting here about life.

If living in Thailand was so great why would it bother anyone to hear about ex-expats?

I left five years ago and wish I'd left sooner. I often wish I'd never gone.

Thailand might be fine to waste away the twilight of one's life, but it's a total waste of time for a person in their prime working years. Also, my standard of living is vastly higher now than it was those years ago. Food is dirt cheap in the US (at the supermarket anyway), vehicles are cheap, beer is super cheap, and the pay is higher to boot. About the only things that's are really a rip-ff are eating in restaurants and paying rent.

17 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Some of You man on TV are a joke , it is not about me ok , it is about someone going back home because he is over things you have to do here in thailand, that makes him think going home will be a better life .

get back on to what it is about.

But you brought up 90-day reporting...

Oh never mind.

16 hours ago, Grubster said:

Florida can be cheap but if your oil job has or is drying up, you could stay here a lot longer than there on your savings. If you have a secure job in oil, maybe you and your family would be better off there as at least you will have SS and medicare when you retire. Make sure you but some of that big money your making away for retirement, Most don't.

Trying to keep this one on topic.

The OP is nowhere near retirement age and any time lost waiting for the oil industry to climb out of the current hole will be significant earning time lost. Sitting on the beach and living on savings at 32 years old is not the smartest idea, regardless of how cheap (or otherwise) sitting on a Thai beach appears to be.

The OP should return to the US, get meaningful employment in the domestic oil industry (which is one of the few E&P bright spots globally) and use some of his current savings to get the home in FL that he can afford. If things pick up and he goes international again, he has property to sell or lease, preferably the latter. Placing all your eggs in a basket called Thailand is folly.

It is paramount to maintain revenue streams while there are revenue streams available.

20 hours ago, alofthailand said:

More hard core criminals go to Europe and the UK where they practise real crime. The crims who come to Thailand don't do much real crime at all. They relax ' party and holiday. 

Visit Andrew Drummond's site and then tell me foreign criminals are here relaxing and partying

12 hours ago, Strange said:

No, she will not be a foreigner if she is a citizen. If she is a citizen then that would make her just as much "American" as anyone else. No immigration checks, no passport checks, can own property free and clear, protected by law. On and on and on. Just as much an american as you or me. 

Technically, she'll be an American but that won't matter to the racists. There are plenty here on this forum who make disparaging remarks about immigrants who've been given passports in their homelands. "They're not real Brits/French/Swedes"

5 hours ago, mesquite said:

What does "taking up the jack-sea" mean?

He means taking it up the "Jap's eye" which is the urethral opening in the male sexual organ. 

Most people who use these slang terms are totally ignorant of their origins and can't even write their own language

1 hour ago, Agent Sumo said:

Technically, she'll be an American but that won't matter to the racists. There are plenty here on this forum who make disparaging remarks about immigrants who've been given passports in their homelands. "They're not real Brits/French/Swedes"

Please note:  Those aren't Americans who say that ...as you just said yourself.  Big difference.  (And that is almost always code for "Muslim".)

If the OP sat on his ass here until he was in his 60s and became one of those "I live on 7,000 Baht per month because I have to" champions,  he would be torn to shreds.  :lol:

OP seems to be well spoken and engaged.  Understands how and why he got here.  When he was banking good coin, had enough sense to accrue X amount to use in precisely this type of scenario, and is managing his financial/tax situation like an adult.   OMG, he's even got a Plan B.   

Sounds like the kind of dude I could meet, have a beer and talk with just fine.   I suspect he'll land on his feet, no problemo.

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

I just find a bit strange that you say have enough money to live anywhere & then proceed to bitch about Thai prices 

versus Tampa.
Off you go,,,,, Bye

Do you how to get rich and stay that way? Because it doesn't involve wasting money on things that are a poor value. 

It does however mean knowing the difference between value and price.

Your salutation does remind me of how losers in border towns will walk in front of you and tell you to keep going where you're already going in order to make themselves feel powerful for a moment. 

4 hours ago, BudRight said:

If living in Thailand was so great why would it bother anyone to hear about ex-expats?

I left five years ago and wish I'd left sooner. I often wish I'd never gone.

Thailand might be fine to waste away the twilight of one's life, but it's a total waste of time for a person in their prime working years. Also, my standard of living is vastly higher now than it was those years ago. Food is dirt cheap in the US (at the supermarket anyway), vehicles are cheap, beer is super cheap, and the pay is higher to boot. About the only things that's are really a rip-ff are eating in restaurants and paying rent.

If living in Thailand was not so great why would you still be posting on a Thai website 5 years after you left?  Rent is the major expense in any budget and Thailand has that lower than most other places.  

It doesn't take a major intellect to figure out Thailand is geared to the retiree.  So you came and figured that out.  Good for you.  Why haunt Thai retiree websites and moan about the obvious?  Do you not like us old guys?  We're just trying to have a bit of sport before the grim reaper catches up with us.

PS I think the largest demographic on TV is old guys.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  

Just now, Scotwight said:

If living in Thailand was not so great why would you still be posting on a Thai website 5 years after you left?  Rent is the major expense in any budget and Thailand has that lower than most other places.  

It doesn't take a major intellect to figure out Thailand is geared to the retiree.  So you came and figured that out.  Good for you.  Why haunt Thai retiree websites and moan about the obvious?  Do you not like us old guys?  We're just trying to have a bit of sport before the grim reaper catches up with us.

Most of my friends in Bangkok were/are in their twenties, like I was.

And I still go back every now and then. Hell, I moved their when I was 19 - it's not like I'm ever going to forget about it.

Maybe that accounts for my different perspective. Being young in a place teaches you different things.

1 hour ago, Agent Sumo said:
1 hour ago, Scotwight said:

Sadly you're not.

One reason why so many of the views aired here are so out of touch

Yeah lots of guys longing for the old days and with that slowly grow out of touch. I guess we all get there. Its easy to deny it now at our ages but check back in 20 or 30 years. A lot could be the persons personal make up as well. 

To that point, I find it imperative to have a large cross section of friends with a wide range of ages. This helps a lot to keep current and avoids letting you get sucked into a vacuum. Its one of a few reasons why I still work. I have people from all ages in the office and factory and I have a lot of fun.