Claiming Car Repair Costs.

davehowden

I was recently shunted from behind whilst stationary in a traffic cue, the shunt was hard enough to push me into the rear of the car in front, resulting in damage to both the front and rear of the car I was driving.

All three drivers (the one in front (Thai lady), myself (farang man) and the one behind (Thai man),  went to the police station where it was handed down by the head honcho that the driver who crashed into my rear was the guilty party and must pay all costs, although this was not written down, just given verbally.

All 3 vehicles have only compulsory government insurance.

The car I was driving is owned by a Thai person.

Having got two quotes; one of which was from a repair shop of the "guilty" drivers choosing; he now refuses to pay the costs of circa 45,000 baht.

Suggested courses of action please, go back to the police and ask them to speak "sharply" to him, engage a litigation lawyer , put it down to experience, cry, have a beer   .............

I thought you would have had an answer by now by someone who knows for sure.

My understanding is compulsory government insurance only covers people not property.

You can try the police first but l would recommend you go with the Thai lady who was in front of you and the owner of the car..

You then jointly could go by way of a lawyer if you have to.

I know the horse has bolted but next time get the car covered by 2nd class insurance at least it's not that expensive. 

Archived