Tricky Visa Issue

Hi,

After living here for 12 years, in May, I tried to fulfil my ten yr old promise to take my wife to Europe to live cancelling a 12 month marriage at the airport (with 9 months left to run :-(  Sick) .

It took me 11 wks to get residency in Spain, so that did not leave enough time for my wife to complete her application so we returned to TL.

I got a 30 stamp at the airport.

I was intending to go to Laos for a 90-day visa, to give my wife time to reapply for a Schengen visa, but she has fallen ill and cannot travel.

So, my question is, under these extenuating circumstances, can I get a 90-visa at my designated station in Nan or MUST I go to Nan?

I thought I had read somewhere that it was possible in extreme circumstances.

Apparently, they will issue a 60-day visa in Nan, but that puts me on a few days overstay.

Perhaps that is worth the fine.

On top of that, I only have two pages left in my passport (Laos and return to TL is a page each).

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Owen

PS: I phoned Nan today, but the girl couldn't follow me in English, or my wife in Thai.

You can get a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your wife. There is no 90 day visa or extension possible at immigration.

You wife does not need to be with you to get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage at the embassy in Vientiane or the consulate in Savannakhet. You would  need your marriage certificate plus a copy, signed copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

• Like 1

It seems like your best plan is to get a 60-day extension to visit your wife (if your wife cannot accompany you to immigration, get a doctor's letter explaining why). Immediately you have this, apply for a new passport. Unfortunately, this must be done through the Trendy Building in Bangkok and by appointment only.

• Like 1

• You could extend your current 30 day Visa Exempt Entry by 30 days based on tourism and then apply for the 60 day extension based on visiting your wife. Half a page for each extension.
  • It is possible to convert a Visa Exempt Entry to a 90 day Non Immigrant Visa/Entry but you would need to provide the 400K (Bank) or 40K pm (Income) required for a 1 year extension of stay, and not all offices can do it. You might need to make two visits to Bangkok (two weeks apart). Your two pages would get used up doing this. 
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You could extend your current 30 day Visa Exempt Entry by 30 days based on tourism and then apply for the 60 day extension based on visiting your wife. Half a page for each extension.

That depends upon the immigration office a person has to go to. Not all offices will do it. There have been reports of people being denied the 60 day extension after getting the 30 day extension.

Hi,

Thanks, guys.

I have now worked out that 60 days will just about cover it, but I am prepared to pay the overstay if necessary.

I am not sure where the confusion arose that my wife and I are not together.

Anyway, I said 90 days in case the doctor changes his mind, at the moment the flight on Nov 23rd looks safe.

Regards,

Owen