Confused about purchasing overnight train tickets in Bangkok

Old Fool

I need to buy 2 tickets for the overnight train from Bangkok (Don Mueang) to Chiang Mai.  I am going to get the 1st or 2nd class with A/C.  I see some websites sell tickets but the information is not very clear.  Can I send the money to my girlfriend and have her just drive to the train station and buy 2 tickets herself?  If so, does can she buy the tickets 60 days from departure?  Does she need a passport?  

Thanks

seat 61 to the rescue again

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#How_to_buy_train_tickets,_from_outside_Thailand

In the above page you will se a link for 12go.asia which send a rep to buy your tickets, they are not an online ticket seller.

• 12go.asia's collection counter is in the DOB building opposite Hualamphong station open 10:00-20:00 every day.  There's no added fee for collecting here.

The trains do not leave DM airport though.  You gotta go to the train station where you will find no planes coming and going as well.

Edited by csabo

They only ask for your passport to fill in the name, you can use a business card or they will even swing the keyboard around so you can put your own name in - mind you if you want to use free wifi now, you MUST show your passport (or a photo / copy) to get a password due to the new computer crimes act

18 minutes ago, csabo said:

seat 61 to the rescue again

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm#How_to_buy_train_tickets,_from_outside_Thailand

In the above page you will se a link for 12go.asia which send a rep to buy your tickets, they are not an online ticket seller.

• 12go.asia's collection counter is in the DOB building opposite Hualamphong station open 10:00-20:00 every day.  There's no added fee for collecting here.

The trains do not leave DM airport though.  You gotta go to the train station where you will find no planes coming and going as well.

I thought they did stop at DM, I seem to recall the one I took doing so

You girl friend can buy the tickets for you at any train station up to 60 day before the date of travel. They ask for a ID but there is no name on the tickets.

You can take the train from the Don Mueang train station just be sure she buys them showing that as your starting point.

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Amazing that you can't just buy online and print out the ticket as you can in, for example, Germany. But then it isn't the 21st century yet in Thailand.

You could buy online and print them yourself for a few years via a company called 'thairailticket.com'.  They had some sort of concession from Thailand SRT.  Worked really well, but the train conductors sometimes gave the "ticket" a suspicious look.  And I never saw the point in them punching a hole in my ticket when I always had a spare copy in my other bag.  :P  

This online service was withdrawn in 2013 when Thai Rail Ticket lost their SRT concession.  Facebook posts hinted at corruption involved, but I know nuthink.  

2 hours ago, FforestFach said:

Two years ago I boarded this overnight train at the station near DM, I forget the name of this station, my seats/beds were numbered and reserved, 2nd class AC carriage.

The station has the same name as the airport - Don Mueang.  There is a covered walkway from departure level of the airport over the highway and railway line to an airport hotel.  You can use that walkway to get to the station.

All of this is not much use if you were *not* heading North btw - the trains to the South of the country branch off at Bang Sue, which is reached before Don Mueang. 

Thanks for the help.  This answers a bunch of things.  I'll just have the GF buy the tickets 50-60 days before December 27 departure and drive to pick them up.  I even read that I could call the station and order tickets in English the day before she gets them.  2nd class seems best so that we're not too bored on the 13 hour trip.  The 22:00 departure seems to be the best idea seeing how I will be coming off a 19 hour flight and probably will be a zombie anyway.

One more thing, does anybody know why the 22:00 train is not listed on the ticket sites that I checked for December 27? https://12go.asia/en/travel/bangkok/chiang-mai Is that because it isn't guaranteed to run that day?  I'm noticing that the 22:00 train appears on some dates and not others.  Apparently these ticket companies buy batches of physical tickets to sell, so it appears confusing as to what's really sold out or available- the ticket company's stash or the actual train seats.  And don't get me started on that train website.  It's confusing an doesn't seem to even work right: http://www.railway.co.th/home/viewcontent.aspx?id=time001&lang=EN

56 minutes ago, Old Fool said:

Thanks for the help.  This answers a bunch of things.  I'll just have the GF buy the tickets 50-60 days before December 27 departure and drive to pick them up.  I even read that I could call the station and order tickets in English the day before she gets them.  2nd class seems best so that we're not too bored on the 13 hour trip.  The 22:00 departure seems to be the best idea seeing how I will be coming off a 19 hour flight and probably will be a zombie anyway.

One more thing, does anybody know why the 22:00 train is not listed on the ticket sites that I checked for December 27? https://12go.asia/en/travel/bangkok/chiang-mai Is that because it isn't guaranteed to run that day?  I'm noticing that the 22:00 train appears on some dates and not others.  Apparently these ticket companies buy batches of physical tickets to sell, so it appears confusing as to what's really sold out or available- the ticket company's stash or the actual train seats.  And don't get me started on that train website.  It's confusing an doesn't seem to even work right: http://www.railway.co.th/home/viewcontent.aspx?id=time001&lang=EN

I repeat -   it isn't the 21st century yet in Thailand. Good luck in adjusting and enjoy the trip. Personally, after a 19 hour flight I'd want to get to my destination pronto and would get a domestic flight. If you really want to experience the delights of State Railways of Thailand you could always do that on the return to Bangkok.

9 hours ago, Thanyaburi Mac said:

When you buy your tickets just show for point of DEPARTURE as Don Muang, then check to see that that's what is on the ticket.  Need to do this otherwise the conductor may sell your seat(s) to someone else if the ticket says Hua Lamphong and no one is occupying them on departure from HP.

Mac

Last year I bought two tickets from Nong Khai to Bangkok

We decided later that we wanted to get on at Udon Thani on asking at Bangkok they said no problem your tickets wont be resold

True as it turned out

That was true July 2015

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You girl friend can buy the tickets for you at any train station up to 60 day before the date of travel. They ask for a ID but there is no name on the tickets.

You can take the train from the Don Mueang train station just be sure she buys them showing that as your starting point.

If a foreigner buys tickets and you can do that at the office for us lot to the left of the normal ticket windows

You will need your passport and they do put your name on it that was true three months ago when I got hold of 14 tickets for various journeys

If you buy tickets for more than one person on any particular train it will state your name and party

Its so easy just like falling off a bar stool

2 hours ago, Old Fool said:

As far as I know the 22- 00 runs every day its the least popular no first class sleepers if I remember correctly but please dont quote me on that

Arrived 12-50 pm only 40 minutes late a result 55555555555555

Ticket scalping is alive and well on the Bangkok to Chaing Mai

It used to be that you could go into a BKK travel agency and buy the tickets there. They would print them out for you while you waited, for a small extra fee of about 10 or 15 Baht if I remember correctly. Don't know if they still do this. I bought the tickets for the overnight Hualumphong - Chiang Mai rail journey ahead of time in one of the travel agents in Khao San Rd.

Not sure I'd travel that way again. Uncomfortable journey and not much to see, as it was nighttime.

Edited by katana

4 hours ago, katana said:

Not sure I'd travel that way again. Uncomfortable journey and not much to see, as it was nighttime.

Haha, you either love travelling by train or you don't.  My wife likes to take the bus - gets you there quick.  But that is such an awful cramped journey, and the road-death statistics are damning.  Farang with her mind set would take a flight.

Give me a 2nd class 'lower bunk' sleeper any day - without aircon in the cooler months. You can sit and watch the countryside go by in the moonlight, enjoy the breeze in your face if in a 'fan' carriage.  You can learn a little of the country by following your progress, and enjoy the experience of mingling with ordinary Thai people.  And you save the cost of a hotel bed for the night.   

I find the sleepers quite comfortable.  It's not the Ritz, but it's not uncomfortable.  

Edited by moojar

Never bothered to use the "farang" office at Hualamphong, always use the normal booking office. Keep meaning to bail up someone who has used it to see if it was the same price. The way the touts push you towards the office makes me feel that there is a few added extras there.

The old SRT online booking (no commision!!!!) was superb and allowed them to adjust the train size for advance bookings but suspect that too many people were missing out on their commisions.  An earlier post mentioned 10-15 Bt, think that it is more like 100-200 Bt now on a ~500 Bt ticket.

Hard to get a sleeper ticket at less than 3-4 days notice except through scalpers especially at weekends

23 hours ago, Old Fool said:

Tickets can only be bought at a railway station, they used to sell them online but there was lag in the system and were getting double bookings. You can buy online through 12go.asia, they buy on your behalf for a small fee. This would be your best bet, you can order the tickets at any time and then at the 60 day point they go downstairs and buy them from the ticket office. You can have them sent out by EMS or collect them from their office.

Your GF may have a problem booking in your name at a station, my wife did. They would not allow a man and a woman to occupy the same cabin, she had to book 2 in her own name. They said it was because of different names and came in after the girl was killed. There was no problem on the train and they took my passport details then.

Now I always go first class as since the murder they banned alcohol and the attendants are on the lookout. There is a guy sells it on the side but it is all cloak and dagger. In the first class cabins you are on your own and can do your own thing. It is also a bit more comfortable if you have your own food.

9 hours ago, Kiwisailor said:

Never bothered to use the "farang" office at Hualamphong, always use the normal booking office. Keep meaning to bail up someone who has used it to see if it was the same price. The way the touts push you towards the office makes me feel that there is a few added extras there.

The old SRT online booking (no commision!!!!) was superb and allowed them to adjust the train size for advance bookings but suspect that too many people were missing out on their commisions.  An earlier post mentioned 10-15 Bt, think that it is more like 100-200 Bt now on a ~500 Bt ticket.

Hard to get a sleeper ticket at less than 3-4 days notice except through scalpers especially at weekends

Same price trust me 5555555555555555 down to the last Baht according to the man in seat 61

The ladies were excellent, friendly, helpful and better english than mine, but thats not saying much

I normally use the windows but as I was buying a string of tickets longer than both arms I thought I would give it a try and the people who would have been behind me in the queue a chance