What is the best song to test new quality speakers in a shop?

flyDelight

Sound is a personal preference... What sounds good to me could sound horrible to you.

Yes, different speakers will play different music better... Some will have better high end, some better low end; hence why each manufacturer has so many different models available.

$ spent is not an true indication of sound quality (has a bearing on build quality).

As for best music... Honestly, whatever music you listen to regularly. No point listening to rap music with heavy bottom end, if you listen to classical.

As for controls... Set all to neutral to start with... Preferably listen to them using the same amp or device that will power them at home.

This will help:

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/blog/test-your-speakers-cambridge-audio-engineer

Apparently these are good but you'll need to read the complete article:

Steely Dan – Jack Of Speed

Daft Punk – Get Lucky

Crooked Still – Little Sadie

Radiohead/Noordpool Orchestra – Weird Fishes

English Chamber Orchestra - Dido & Aeneas, Act 3: But Death, Alas!

Stevie Ray Vaughan – Tin Pan Alley

The Rolling Stones - Melody

1 minute ago, meatboy said:

bohiemian rhapsody -queen.

we will rock you.      -queen.

we are the champions -queen.

i have a kenwood amp.with pioneer sub woofer and 3front and 2back speakers.that shake,rattle & roll.

So that's why your dog has that glazed look in his eyes. :D

3 hours ago, meatboy said:

bohiemian rhapsody -queen.

we will rock you.      -queen.

we are the champions -queen.

i have a kenwood amp.with pioneer sub woofer and 3front and 2back speakers.that shake,rattle & roll.

Queen should only be played at one volume level for your full enjoyment (especially Bohemian Rhapsody) and that level is MAXIMUM.

18 hours ago, billd766 said:

Queen should only be played at one volume level for your full enjoyment (especially Bohemian Rhapsody) and that level is MAXIMUM.

thats one reason we bought a double plot,so that the nearest house's to us dont shake,mind you there is some movement in ours

UNDER PRESSURE.

thats me A GOOD OLD FASHION LOVER BOY.

7hrs of non stop BOOM BOOM better than a bouncy castle.

5 hours ago, meatboy said:

thats one reason we bought a double plot,so that the nearest house's to us dont shake,mind you there is some movement in ours

UNDER PRESSURE.

thats me A GOOD OLD FASHION LOVER BOY.

7hrs of non stop BOOM BOOM better than a bouncy castle.

Another excellent track would be Barcelona with Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Caballe.

Some sound sound advice so far. I don't think any single track will give you the mix of fast/slow/,  solo/group and simple/intricate music that will give a good test.

The only thing I would add is to take music that you know well but not your favourite tracks; sheer enjoyment of these can cloud your judgement.

FWIW, the last time I auditioned equipment  I used these songs:

The Blue Nile - Happiness

Steely Dan - My Old School

Foo Fighters - Times Like These

Peggy Lee/ George Shearing - If Dreams Come True

Judy Tzuke - Drive

Frank Zappa - Montana

Not sure any song will actually help you make the decision. The song you hear in the store, will probably, be totally to what the experience will be in your home.

Honestly, room size, wall coverings, furniture will alter the sound you hear.

In a store you normally experience it in two equally unrealistic environments; either in the middle of a crowded store, or in some home theater demonstration room. Neither of which will replicate what you will hear in your home.

Back in the States I would never worry, since I could always take it back if I didn't like it. Here sales tend to be final.

So pick something that you know and have listened to at home then compare, and probably get the best specs you can afford, and pray to the audio Gods

There are some "warmly" recorded tracks which can sound good on nearly all systems.  After frequenting many hi-fi shows over the years you get to hear these and know exactly why the dealers are playing them. No point in playing something you always hear sound good.

Play something which you've heard sound bad and which you've sometimes heard sound good...make sure the recording is high res and make sure the genre is something you usually listen to (certain systems sound good with certain genres), and preferably play a track you know well.

For me, I play something a little complicated which may sound harsh, which has some vocals plus bass.  Killers, Churches even Lorde.  If the speakers or system can separate the sounds and make them sound exciting, clear and three dimensional that's a good start.  Check at low volumes for detail and higher volumes for dynamics without harshness.  If you hear nuances or instruments on the system which surprise you and which you haven't previously heard, you're getting into higher end sounds.

Just remember, a bad recording will sound worse on more transparent higher end systems.