13-year-old with BB gun killed by police in Columbus, Ohio

webfact

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"The 2nd amendment of the US constitution is the only thing that is keeping the entire world from being taken over by the bankster parasites."

Who exactly is brainwashed?

555 and they talk about the state of the Thai education system...........

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Or that person who has never been burgled or had a gun pulled on them or pulled a gun on anyone else, because i luckily i am from a society where gun crime is extremely rare, and gun ownership is very limited. 

Just because you have never been burgled, robbed, assaulted, does not mean it can not happen. And just because gun crime is rare does not mean that crime is rare. Wherever you are from I'm sure there are plenty of violet acts of crime where a gun is not used and people are plenty helpless. 

1 minute ago, Strange said:

Just because you have never been burgled, robbed, assaulted, does not mean it can not happen. And just because gun crime is rare does not mean that crime is rare. Wherever you are from I'm sure there are plenty of violet acts of crime where a gun is not used and people are plenty helpless. 

Of course. But you only have to look at the gun crime rates in the US compared to the rest of the world which have stricter gun control laws to see that the current US regulations are exacerbating problems rather than curbing them.

6 hours ago, Alive said:

The police should be the ones with BB guns or at least rubber bullets.

Now please do tell us how you would have responded to this incident differently if you were the police officer placing his life at risk to keep our streets safe.

Seriously, lets hear your approach when you place yourself in this officers position in the dark of night when a suspect pulls a gun that looks real and even has a laser sight. 

1 hour ago, thaihome said:

Most pellet guns sold today have an orange mark onto the end of the barrel.  The police have only shown the photo above of a "similar" pellet gun and not the actual one used by the teenager. 

TH 

You're thinking of an airsoft gun http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/airsoft-guns-accessories/_/N-1100287/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104584680

Pellet gun is a different animal, and some can be used to hunt small game. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/air-pistols/_/N-1102567/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105571080

42 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Amazing how many of these issues happen in the US. Now what could be the stand out difference between the US and lets say Europe? gun ownership perhaps

You bring up an interesting point.

I always wonder if Europe has a similar African-American community that worships gun violence?

Wouldn't that be a stand out difference ? 

Just now, ClutchClark said:

You bring up an interesting point.

I always wonder if Europe has a similar African-American community that worships gun violence?

Wouldn't that be a stand out difference ? 

I don't think Europe does, but there are plenty of African Americans. Perhaps the worshipping of gun violence could be more applicable to the US because laying ones hands on guns is so much easier, and thus far easier to relate or get drawn into that culture.

7 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Now please do tell us how you would have responded to this incident differently if you were the police officer placing his life at risk to keep our streets safe.

Seriously, lets hear your approach when you place yourself in this officers position in the dark of night when a suspect pulls a gun that looks real and even has a laser sight. 

That is exactly the problem. Every suspect stopped in the US is potentially armed and dangerous. The only solution to this problem is a radical solution, which the US is far from willing to take. Ban them.

Edited by stevenl

Failings in this article:

It is a red hearing to discuss the theft of $10. The crime, the reason the police responded is because it was an armed robbery. They have a responsibility to temove the gun and the armed robber from the streets. They would have been forced to respond if no robbery had even taken place and the complaint was only "man with a gun". 

Next, why did the group of three young black men run away when the police approached and gave them a police order to stop? 

Next, why did this young black mans parents allow him to carry a BB gun that looked like a real firearm? 

Lastly, why does the author continually bring up Tamir Rice ? To incite riot? 

Edited by ClutchClark

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

That is exactly the problem. Every suspect stopped in the US is potentially armed and dangerous. The only solution to this problem is a radical solution, which the US is far from willing to take. Ban them.

Potentially?

This suspect WAS armed & dangerous. 

There is no hypothetical here. If the young man did not have a gun then he would be alive. The gun is key. 

Please stick with the facts of this case and tell us how you would have responded differently when you chased down a fleeing suspect in the dark of night who then turned and aimed a laser sighted gun at you. 

11 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I don't think Europe does, but there are plenty of African Americans. Perhaps the worshipping of gun violence could be more applicable to the US because laying ones hands on guns is so much easier, and thus far easier to relate or get drawn into that culture.

So you do not have the culture exposed in this video? 

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37292306

Sadly, young people do not always have much forethought.   In this case, the outcome was tragic.   

When I was 13 I knew that robbing people at gunpoint (immitation or not) was wrong.

This was just a bad person. Let's face it, we didn't lose a future nobel prize winner here.

He'd have died at gunpoint at some point in his life anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Of course. But you only have to look at the gun crime rates in the US compared to the rest of the world which have stricter gun control laws to see that the current US regulations are exacerbating problems rather than curbing them.

See, the thing is, the "regulations" you speak of largely have not been changed and most likely will not be changed. We have a thing called amendments, congress, senate, a democracy where people vote these things into being. Luckily we have these things because if it wasn't already obvious, most americans don't want it to change and no president/dictator will be able to single handedly change it. Regulation and dispersal of power. I certainly don't want it to change because at the end of the day, if you take away everything, the bare bones fact is that you will be able to protect yourself, and the law is on your side. 

Its unfortunate that this kid got shot, but, you know, don't point guns at cops. 

21 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Potentially?

This suspect WAS armed & dangerous. 

There is no hypothetical here. If the young man did not have a gun then he would be alive. The gun is key. 

Please stick with the facts of this case and tell us how you would have responded differently when yu chased down a fleeing suspect in the dark of night who then turned and aimed a laser sighted gun at you. 

Yes, potentially. As I said ' Every suspect stopped in the US is potentially armed and dangerous. "

Let me know if you don't understand that sentence and I'll write it down slowly for you.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, potentially. As I said ' Every suspect stopped in the US is potentially armed and dangerous. "

Let me know if you don't understand that sentence and I'll write it down slowly for you.

Address the question. 

How would you have responded to this incident differently. 

Don't try to divert the focus to a vocabulary lesson. 

1 minute ago, Strange said:

See, the thing is, the "regulations" you speak of largely have not been changed and most likely will not be changed. We have a thing called amendments, congress, senate, a democracy where people vote these things into being. Luckily we have these things because if it wasn't already obvious, most americans don't want it to change and no president/dictator will be able to single handedly change it. Regulation and dispersal of power. I certainly don't want it to change because at the end of the day, if you take away everything, the bare bones fact is that you will be able to protect yourself, and the law is on your side. 

Its unfortunate that this kid got shot, but, you know, don't point guns at cops. 

Everything is good then if you want things to remain unchanged. I believe it will only get worse, but thats ok, no problem. It would be interesting to see if the US did have some kind of  vote on gun ownership what the actual result would be. At some point if the gun crime keeps going, eventually it will come a point where drastic action needs to be taken.

40 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You can bad whatever you like but it won't stop criminals from being criminals and the end of the day, thankfully, most americans know this. 

1 minute ago, smutcakes said:

Everything is good then if you want things to remain unchanged. I believe it will only get worse, but thats ok, no problem. It would be interesting to see if the US did have some kind of  vote on gun ownership what the actual result would be. At some point if the gun crime keeps going, eventually it will come a point where drastic action needs to be taken.

Yep, if we continue to see the large, steady drop in gun crime that has been occurring since the early 90's, we could potentially eliminate a lot of gun control as it would no longer be needed..

Seriously, and apologies for shouting, GUN CRIME AND ALL VIOLENT CRIME IN THE US IS AT NEAR HISTORIC LOWS. The last time the US saw less violent and gun crime was in the 1950's and 60's. From the 70's onward till the mid 90's, crime rates in the US were very high. For over the past 25 years, violent crime, including gun crime, has steadily decreased, to levels much lower than in the 90's. At the same time, starting around 2000, there has been a significant increase in the perception of the risk of crime that has gone in the opposite direction of the actual statistics.

9 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Address the question. 

You make a post, I give my general opinion on why there is a problem with this in the US, and that problem is far bigger than this specific incident, and now you demand from me to answer one of your questions on this? I have not made a statement on the officer's handling of the case earlier and will not do so now, not until I know all the facts. Even if you demand me to do so.

12 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Address the question. 

Me thinks he has painted himself into a corner and the answer to your question will not be forthcoming.

3 minutes ago, Strange said:

You can bad whatever you like but it won't stop criminals from being criminals and the end of the day, thankfully, most americans know this. 

Yes, but criminals without guns, as in other, more civilised, countries around the world.

7 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

There is no "Vote on _____ Topic" man you need to school yourself on how our democracy works if you want to hang in this debate. We vote in people we like, and they vote on our behalf. If they don't vote they way their constituents appoint them to, then they are voted out of office. 

And no I feel zero sympathy for criminals getting shot or criminals shooting criminals or civilians shooting criminals. 

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Yes, but criminals without guns, as in other, more civilised, countries around the world.

Typical default to insult our civility. 

Ban guns and only honest people that abide by the law will give them up. Criminals will remain armed. Hardly a solution. 

3 minutes ago, Strange said:

Ban guns and only honest people that abide by the law will give them up. Criminals will remain armed. Hardly a solution. 

With all this "gun control" talk I haven't heard one politician say how they plan to take guns from criminals, just law abiding citizens.

2 minutes ago, Strange said:

Looking at previous experiences from other countries that gave up their guns: NO, your claim is not correct. Why come up with excuses that make no sense when the real reason is easy: you just don't want to give them up, you (and that is not personal but general) just love them. All the reasons given for not giving up your guns are just excuses that, when examined properly, prove to be incorrect.

Edited by stevenl

4 minutes ago, Strange said:

There is no "Vote on _____ Topic" man you need to school yourself on how our democracy works if you want to hang in this debate. We vote in people we like, and they vote on our behalf. If they don't vote they way their constituents appoint them to, then they are voted out of office. 

And no I feel zero sympathy for criminals getting shot or criminals shooting criminals or civilians shooting criminals. 

That is why i said it would be interesting if there was a vote on it to see what the overall sentiment is in the on gun ownership. One of the problems when people vote is that they vote on a total package rather than an individual issue. I.e i might vote one way over the other as I agree with more of a parties stances, although i might disagree with certain parts.

Seems you are getting a bit defensive, lucky you don't have a gun to start shooting wildly with people who disagree with you:)

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Well atleast you have properly identified the problem is the criminal and not the gun.

There are over 100 million gun owners in the US who are law abiding citizens who do not rob people or pull their guns on the police. 

There are a small fraction of criminals who use guns illegally. 

The problem is not the gun--it is the subculture that promotes violence and guns in their songs and videos and movies.