That's a new one - Thai trucker fined 2,000 baht for Michelin men!

webfact

1 hour ago, Brer Fox said:

And what difference is booking a driver with a couple of Michelin men on his truck going to make to the big picture.

The big picture being that Thailand has been ranked as the second most dangerous place in the world to drive. Thailand has an annual fatality rate of 36.2 per 100,000 people. With a population of 67 million that means an annual death toll of about 24,000 p.a.

Eliminating the Michelin Man may save a life or two but what's anyone, including the PM, doing about the other 23,998. 

http://www.msn.com/en-au/motoring/news/the-world’s-most-dangerous-countries-to-drive-in/ss-AAiMppB?ocid=spartandhp#image=3

In all First World countries a 'death' is counted if the victim dies in hospital later. 

Please keep it in mind that a "death" in Thailand mean a corpse on the road in situ - die later and it doesn't count.
Therefore the relative Thai road death rate is immeasurably higher than the official figures indicate.

7 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

Tak taks at night with no lights front or back doing 10kph on the highway. I admit, Bangkok would be free of them, but where I live not.

It's exactly the same in the BKK suburbs, especially at night when all the creepy people come out. They use the backroads which are very dark and have no lights/insurance/driverslicense/reflectors/roadworthy vehicles  and even drive against traffic.:(

6 hours ago, CGW said:

Don't suppose there is a law for exhaust noise and emissions is there? :whistling:

Well, according to a lawyer i asked years ago the laws concerning pretty much all the above mentioned vehicular crappism aren't that different from what we know from back home, be that colored and/or additional lights, tampered engines, exhaust fumes, fartpipes (small brain = big noise) or rotted mufflers ... you name it.
Just significant lack of enforcement is the problem.

Not a big surprise now, is it? After all that would mean to actually work some while on duty anyway.

I think everyone is missing the main point.

"But everyone accepted that police should not write things on traffic tickets that were not part of the charge - in this case the words "dolly lights" were written on the ticket. The police should just write what law was broken."

problem is most of those "policemen" dont actually know the laws, and could not reference them if asked.

... to think - all those years that one had a fluffy toy roadkill, panduit strapped to the front bumper

( and with perfectly weather-streaked fur from the slipstream)

who hasn't done the same in their younger years?

Will they now ban aftermarket adhesive decal Go-fast stripes next?

On my last 626, I had a multiple Fiam, and Hella airhorns set up.

That sounds normal eh!!   But what really made mine different, was that I had some horns at the front, and another set at the rear - 

down under, concealed and bolted beside the petrol tank

yeah so??

what it also had was 19 metres of airhose tubing, connecting the rear set. What this did was to induce a sizeable delay...

that for the first couple of seconds, all that you heard was the front set.

A  couple of seconds later, the rear set joined in, and the building-crescendo, yet quite-spacial effect was quite interesting

No one could really tell from which vehicle direction, that the sound was coming from :whistling:

and it once also scared the heck out of a tailgating M'cyclist who tried to tailgate, then undertake me on the left quarter, when I was about to begin a turn-left myself

so much so, he took chase to try scold me for jumping the gun, on just who out-scares who?

Many of the attachments to Trucks in Thailand - ribbons, decals etc. - are in fact a sort of "Passport" and indicate to any Police Officer tempted to stop the Truck for some violation (real or imagined) that the Truck owner has paid his monthly "dues" to the local Police Station or whatever and should be allowed unobstructed passage.

Patrick

6 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

Based on your last effort I expect your previous three accounts were closed because of infantile comments and bad language.

Er!.... yeah!... ok!

Can't argue with such wisdom!

BUT... haven't had an account "closed" and, "bad language"? Shiiiiiiiiiiit! So glad I don't know you personally.

so now all the minibuses that have red and blue flash lights will be fined?
and all cars featuring blue lamps all over the place will be fined?
moreover all driving christmas trees on the road will be fined ?
And all red light on the front vehicles will be taken off the road?
And all illegal devices sold at auction ?

Then the coming two or so  years there should be a budget surplus, and less people killed in traffic.

Excellent Idea, I will tell the missus to support such motion!

On 16 September 2016 at 5:33 PM, jollyhangmon said:

fartpipes (small brain = big noise)

didn't hear that one before.  :cheesy:  
Will try that one to get one of the young motorbikers to see the light and put a standard exhaust back on (at my cost obviously)

Don't know about this case but many drivers modify their brake lights to other colors or blinking red which is illegal and hazardous..

now if they would drive with headlights rather than parking lights....cultural driven and not intellect driven...

Edited by cardinalblue

On 16/09/2016 at 4:28 AM, theguyfromanotherforum said:

What about putting religions crap on dashboard? That is illegal in many civilized countries.

Yes,  but sometimes it stops the coffee falling off. Abuse of the interior of cars in Thailand could never happen if more of them had ever travelled to a place with white people in.  Similarly the confusing and dangerous driving or driving whilst blind or drunk beyond belief.  Dangling stuff in cars is annoying for white people but brown people always like to have it.