New landlord wants 2 months deposit in advance

We live in the N.E of Thailand. Its a nice friendly city and the people have high integrity. 

We found a new 3 br house to rent and told her that we were keen to rent it and sign a contract this weekend to reassure her that we would commit. We said however that we would not move in until the 15th of next month. 

Driving home I told the wife that she will probably ask for the deposit to be paid this weekend also and that I would not agree to this. 

Sure enough late last night the landlord asked for the 2 months deposit to be paid. 

I dont want to lose the house by playing hardball but I dont agree with paying any money until we get the keys. Do you agree? This country is the land of scams. If we were in pattaya I would never agree to it but should I put my trust in this women by maybe paying 1 months deposit 7000 baht?

What worries me is that this women seems desperate for money. She originally asked for 3 months deposit which I laughed at. Then was asking if we can pay 3 to 6 months in advance. ha ha. She has a small photocopy business in town but we dont know if she's the owner or not. 

thanks for your opinion

Edited by ghworker2010

You could just leave paying any monies until you

are ready to move in ,say on the 12th, BUT, you take

a risk of losing the house,so its up to you.

The landlord should require first months rent,and

2 months security deposit,on signing the contract.

regards worgeordie

I wouldn't pay the deposit until I had the keys in my hand. I think she's just looking for what some call a "holding" or "booking" deposit to show that you're committed to going ahead with the lease.

What's the knowledge that the house is yours worth to you? 10K?? If you're sure you want it, offer her that. That being said, if there aren't loads of people viewing the property, it'll likely still be available come your moving date.

If, as you say, this is the "land of scams" the deposit is her only assurance that you're not just hedging against finding a better place between now and the day you plan to move in.

If you really want the place, what's wrong with a deposit upon signing the contract?

Do whatever you want.  She will, too.  She may find another renter that will start paying on the first of next month.  If losing the house isn't going to be a problem for you, no biggie.  Otherwise, suck it up and pay the deposit upon signing the contract.

You write that you will move in on 15 next month. I assume that's the time from when you pay rent as well. If I was the owner I would definitely ask for the deposit already now, or at least one month of it. Otherwise I would loose to much income in case you did not show up on the 15th.

Try to get it down to one month though.

I would confirm ownership of the house first and pay the deposit to the right person with an iron clad lease agreement signed by all parties.

Then negotiate if you don't want to lose it!

If you like it the next renter looking will probably like it as well!

If you really like it rent it now!

I guess the rules are the same everywhere over the world:

The day you sign the contract, you pay the first rent and the deposit and you get the keys.

If you move in on the same day, the next month or never is your business and doesn't mean you get a delay for paying the rental and the deposit.

As often seen on this forum, be sure the one who signs the contract is also the owner.

She only has your word for it also that you will move in on the 15th of next month, that is your choice, not hers,. So if you want her to "hold" it for you, you may indeed have to go along with her wishes. ...If not, then why shouldn't she give it to the first person who comes up with the money?

If she is the owner; Pay her 1,000 now, and balance when u get the keys. This way she knows you are for real.

And if she screws u over; it is only for the cost, a cheap dinner. Also you can check to make sure the place is clean and nothing broken. Good idea to take pictures of cracked tiles on floors, hole in walls from pictures, anything that is broken.

This way she cannot come back at you when you are ready to move out. If not she can say you broke something and keep your deposit.

8 hours ago, ghworker2010 said:

I dont want to lose the house by playing hardball but I dont agree with paying any money until we get the keys. Do you agree? This country is the land of scams. If we were in pattaya I would never agree to it but should I put my trust in this women by maybe paying 1 months deposit 7000 baht?

What worries me is that this women seems desperate for money. She originally asked for 3 months deposit which I laughed at. Then was asking if we can pay 3 to 6 months in advance. ha ha. She has a small photocopy business in town but we dont know if she's the owner or not. 

I agree don't pay the money until you get the keys. If you want the place and are willing to pay the 2 month deposit the just get the place and take the keys the same day. Move in when you are ready. 

The second paragraph (bold) has been a major source of frustration for me in the past. The locals like to try and rent/sell you something that is not even theirs, because they are trying to get a commission on the deal. They will do this, lie to you, and completely block you from talking to the owner. So frustrating because who the hell is going to do anything without talking to the owner? owner wants 7k a month and some "friend" finds a renter but is telling the renter its 10k negotiating a back hand deal with the owner.

Anyway just tell the lady what you are willing to do and straight up ask her if she is the owner. 

Quote from your posting:

She has a small photocopy business in town but we dont know if she's the owner or not. 

A guy  I know   rented house from people other than the owner. He did not know.They had a big surprise when they needed a copy of the blue book form immigration.

Most landlord I had, ask a copy of my passport and likewise I ask them  a copy of the Thai ID card  or passport of the person signing the contract and  a  copy of the blue book.

For deposit  I usually pay when I get the keys but   I pay the first month  rent at contract signature and all this is mentioned in the contract.

I had 1 month and 2 or  month deposit. Talking with some landlord it depends if the house is empty or your rent with all furniture included.

i think this is normal to protect the landlord  if you go away and he need to replace broken appliance or furniture in the house

Wee bit lost on this one yes pay 2mths deposit and a month up front  you say

were keen to rent it and sign a contract this weekend to reassure her that we would commit. We said however that we would not move in until the 15th of next month. 

So if you sign up this weekend you should get the keys this weekend. The contract will start from this weekend if you don't want it till the 15th of next month don't sign the contract till the 15th. When this occurs with our properties we ask for a months rent as a holding deposit then when they sign agreement on the day they want it they pay two more months rent ie first and deposit. Try talking to landlord see if he will accept this sulution. I will add if they decided in the mean time not to take the house then a percentage ie 1 week 25% 2 weeks 50% 3 weeks 75% it seems to work for us remember landlords are keen to rent out the property and realise it can be as your situation is talk to them

I needed my new landlord to hold my new house for 3 months so gave him half the deposit to do that and the rest on moving day.  The option was he could keep looking for tenants and I did not want to lose the house.  Do your contract for your future date and get a receipt.

If you are the landlord and a stranger comes from nowhere n says, 110% will rent the house and sign the contract but will pay up when collecting the keys. You accept it and reject others who are interested. The day before, when you want to pass the keys and collect the money, the so called tenant disappears. Even with the passport/ID photocopy, what can you do??? Report police or get a lawyer to sue the so called tenant???

Most landlords will accept a month payment to reserve and when u collect the keys, u pay another 2 months rental. Just nego with the landlord. 

In my neck of the woods 2 months rental deposit in advance is standard. (Isaan).

I've rented twice and it was the same both times, 2 months deposit and 1 month in advance.

Each time I've given a months notice to terminate and not paid rent that month, it being taken from the deposit.

On returning the keys, the remaining one month deposit was repaid after checking the house for any damages.

You'd be amazed how many do 'runners' owing rent and leaving damage behind.

The 2 month deposit limits any losses the landlord may incur and encourages the tenant to take care of the property.

Fairly standard procedure.

3 minutes ago, RBOP said:

She sounds desparate for money. You'll probably have a hard time getting your deposit back when time to move out. 

Why make judgements when you don't know the woman.

She probably mortgages the house and is keen to rent to avoid falling into arrears with the mortgage.

I've found Thai landlords to be very honest and trustworthy.

Foreigners actually tend to take better care of their properties and their grateful for that.

My last female landlord was gutted when I gave notice, saying I was the best tenant she ever had.

You play ball, they play ball.

4 hours ago, bark said:

If she is the owner; Pay her 1,000 now, and balance when u get the keys. This way she knows you are for real.

And if she screws u over; it is only for the cost, a cheap dinner. Also you can check to make sure the place is clean and nothing broken. Good idea to take pictures of cracked tiles on floors, hole in walls from pictures, anything that is broken.

This way she cannot come back at you when you are ready to move out. If not she can say you broke something and keep your deposit.

Are you for real?1000 baht is a cheap meal to her also.

Ok, so she gets nothing for her property for another month? 

You seem to know what is at stake... if you do not give her the deposit, is there any reason she would not rent it to me, willing to pay, starting tomorrow? 

In the scheme of things, 7000 baht is not really a lot of money... but since it comes out of your pocket, you ultimately make the decision and can dictate the terms of the lease... or risk losing it - up to you really.