TrueOnline New Promotion for 50/10 Internet Plan (big price drop)

Pib

No, I'm not advertising for True as I dropped them a few months ago and switched to AIS Fiber 50/10 (and happy).  But apparently True is feeling the heat of AIS and 3BB Fiber Optics plans in the 50Mb to 100Mb ballpark for approx Bt700 to Bt1200 per month..   Before True's 50/10 plan was Bt2,599/month if I remember right; but now it has been dropped to Bt899 in their combo plans.   See True below webpage and partial snapshot.  

I was on  a True DOCSIS/Cable plan for 5 years and very happy with its close to 100% up-time, but never went with one of their plans above 20/2 due to high price....they did come out with a lower price 30Mb plan but I never switched to it as I figure my international speed wouldn't have increase much (if any) based on testing results posted by some TV members.  But their latest 50/10 plan at Bt899/mo might be something True fans (or captive audiences) would be interested in....whether as a new customer or current customer upgrade.  

Once again, I'm not a True internet user anymore....I'm now a satisfied AIS user....but the new True 50/10 pricing definitely deserves consideration.   

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/product-service/super-fiber/entry/5349

Capture.JPG

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the posts you've made, you seem switched on. 

True Internet. Is it just my location (Surin) that sucks? I had their fiber 30/10 with huweai modem and man it was terrible. Why is it that I could not torrent or watch netflix in 1080p but as soon as I switched to 3BB 30/10 everything worked. All speed tests showed the advertised speed until you went to international servers. With 3BB while still kinda bad internationally, I had better speeds to the same servers (in the USA) at the same time of day and torrenting started connecting to far more peers resulting in a WAY waster (like 300% faster) downloads. 

Are they throttling? Or is it the illuminati? What do you think the deal is? 

I think the much lower cost AIS and 3BB high speed/fiber/VDSL plans have been throttling True's customer based (i.e., TrueOnline losing many internet customers to AIS and 3BB) and True is now trying to stem the loss of internet customers caused by their pricey internet plans above 30Mb no longer being competitive.  I was on  a True DOCSIS/cable 20/2 or 15/1.5  plan for around 5 years...great reliability/uptime...but their international speed was not great but not really any worst than other Thai internet service providers based on the many posts/results I've seen on TV over the years.  But at least for me, using VPN seemed to greatly increase my international speed with True.   Your results may vary.   And like I said, I'm now a happy AIS Fiber 50/10 user for around 3 months. 

I saw this the other day too. They do mention it's fibre, though in my case True only has copper cable to my soi. Wondering whether a 50/10 connection through True is faster in practice than a slower connection through AIS (which is definitely fibre)?

3BB also is doing 50/10 for 700 baht, VDSL. 

11 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I saw this the other day too. They do mention it's fibre, though in my case True only has copper cable to my soi. Wondering whether a 50/10 connection through True is faster in practice than a slower connection through AIS (which is definitely fibre)?

I have the 50/10 from 3BB for 700 baht and they had to run about 100 meters of copper to get it to my house and its running through a VDSL router. Regular speed tests are usually over 50 down. Netflix Thailand is flawless and runs in full 1080p instantly. I don't have any downtime. No complaints here and for 700 baht I'm very satisfied. 

2 hours ago, Pib said:

I think the much lower cost AIS and 3BB high speed/fiber/VDSL plans have been throttling True's customer based (i.e., TrueOnline losing many internet customers to AIS and 3BB) and True is now trying to stem the loss of internet customers caused by their pricey internet plans above 30Mb no longer being competitive.  I was on  a True DOCSIS/cable 20/2 or 15/1.5  plan for around 5 years...great reliability/uptime...but their international speed was not great but not really any worst than other Thai internet service providers based on the many posts/results I've seen on TV over the years.  But at least for me, using VPN seemed to greatly increase my international speed with True.   Your results may vary.   And like I said, I'm now a happy AIS Fiber 50/10 user for around 3 months. 

I don't think I will ever go back to True for anything and I think these 50/10 connections are about as far as I will go. I mean the limits are not the thailand speed its the international speeds. That coupled with their atrocious customer service. 

Can you briefly explain how you are using a VPN to increase your international speeds? And to what end? 

I have had true internet for about 6 years I have only had three incidents where I had to call for service and all three times I was connected right away to an English-speaking person. The first time they were able to fix my problem with in the office the second time they send a technician out when they said he would be here took him 15 minutes my router was bad as I had another router be installed it for me and all good. The third instance I lost internet all together again Within 2 hours of my calling true they had a service tech here who had to reset my router we had a power surge and it lost all of the connection details. I'm very happy with true despite what others are having problems

Sent from my LG G4

That's some nice packaging, 899 for 50/10 plus cable tv (94 SD/3 HD) + 500 MB+100 min+10 hrs WiFi/mobile+ 50 min. fixed line. And the buy-up for more TV channels is much more economical.

Make sure to plow through the terms and conditions so you understand the term, pricing.

8 hours ago, Strange said:

I don't think I will ever go back to True for anything and I think these 50/10 connections are about as far as I will go. I mean the limits are not the thailand speed its the international speeds. That coupled with their atrocious customer service. 

Can you briefly explain how you are using a VPN to increase your international speeds? And to what end? 

Basically, VPN is able to sometimes bypass/get-around  transparent (hidden) servers that is choking your speed for international connections.   That is, the throttling.  Review below fairly recent thread on Using VPN to Speedup Your Internet International Speed.

I was on a True DOCSIS (cable) 15/1.5Mb plan at the time of the thread and using VPN should sped up my international connections as shown in the VPN thread...and you'll see it had the same results for other whether with True or another internet service provider.    Your results may vary based on your internet provider and the VPN service you are using (all VPN service providers are not created equal).

8 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

It could be either Fiber or DOCSIS (cable) as True's DOCSIS/cable can go up to either 100Mb or 200Mb in speed....I think 200Mb.  And where I mention cable that does not mean the copper phone line cable used for ADSL as DOCSIS uses a completely different type of copper capable...it's like a fat TV cable on steroids....able to carry much higher internet speeds and many TV channels.  Additionally, although VDSL runs over copper phone line cable,  it's technology allows it to reach higher speeds than ADSL.  Also, not uncommon for VDSL to be used for the last few X-meters like in condo/highrises for the fiber optics or DOCSIS connection feeding the building. 

But I'm absolutely sure DOCSIS can easily go to 100Mb as I was on their DOCSIS plan for 5 years as mentioned here in a western Bangkok moobaan, one time I had a slow upload problem on my 20/2 DOCSIS plan and in troubleshooting the problem they brought a router to my house setup for their 100Mb/10Mb plan to test my connection and they pulled 104Mb speed.   Later they found my problem to be a bad firmware update they had pushed to everyone on  some of their Cisco DOCSIS routers...they change the Cisco router to a Thomson router and problem fixed.

Up until close to two years ago True use to advertise the fiber optics and DOCSIS plans separately and actually called them by Fiber or DOCSIS.  But around 2 years ago they renamed/rebranded their advertisements to just say Super Fiber which really includes Fiber Optics and/or DOCSIS...and I guess VDSL might be lumped in for some cases when providing the final few meters of connection to condos in highrises.   I expect they want to use the word "Fiber" as most anyone related Fiber Optics to high speed, whereas, the word  DOCSIS really didn't mean anything to the layman/common person.   Summary: fiber is a buzz word that brings visions of high speed internet to the layman and buzz words hook new customers.

And technically they were not stretching the truth too much by calling DOCSIS Fiber as the DOCSIS line that runs around your moobaan/soi/area would indeed hooked into Fiber Optics backbone lines somewhere upstream....so part of the connection is indeed running over fiber optics.

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

Is it still the case that True won't supply internet to any condo above the 3rd floor? which means most condo owners can't use them.

You must be talking if they had to string a line all the way to your condo vs just running the line to the building phone/LAN system connection box and from that box its distributed to your condo regardless of floor level.

Hey guys,

maybe it will be a little bit off topic, but do all these providers (AIS, TRUE, 3BB) allow 6 months contract if i'm a new customer? I remember last year they only had 1 year contracts and then you pay a fine if you cancel the plan before 1 year.

i will need to sign up for a plan for 7 months, since that's how long i'll stay in Bangkok.

Also, which provider and plan would you recommend? I just need internet for work from home, dont need netflix.

Appreciate the information

Req

Hmmm.  I am on a 30/3Mbps DOCSIS (which qualifies for the "fibre" designator in True's world view) plan with the free CATV package and a mobile phone SIM (which I don't use), and noticed the past week that I was getting 40+ Mbps downloads so when I read this I wondered if I had been automatically upgraded, but I still only get 3Mbps download.  Wonder if it's worth a visit to the True shop to ask?  I find the guys and gals there to not be terribly knowledgeable, but...

My experience - True with their DNS and with a public DNS (LIKE openDNS, google, etc)

With their DNS it is okay (let's say .. fulfill what they promise), I got very often ~25mbs for Downloads and ~6mbs for Upload.

With a public DNS, I got no more than 4mbs for Download and about 500kbps for Upload.

I never use the ISP's DNS for so many reasons, the first is I do not trust ISP at all.

True throttle torrent, netflix, and other stream like websites, in my opinion being a customer, the True Corp. sucks at all. I'm going to cancel as soon my contract expire.

I used 3bb many years ago and it was terrible, I do not know right now how it is.

I heard that AIS is good now. Confirm?

Before True I used TOT, and cancel because they are also very bad, and support is almost NULL, people there looks like robots in uniform!

I have a good question here.

Are there any ISP in Thailand that is not state owned? I want to be a customer. :P

10 hours ago, Henryford said:

Is it still the case that True won't supply internet to any condo above the 3rd floor? which means most condo owners can't use them.

5 hours ago, Pib said:

You must be talking if they had to string a line all the way to your condo vs just running the line to the building phone/LAN system connection box and from that box its distributed to your condo regardless of floor level.

Oh, now that's an interesting take on the "no-True-above-3rd-floor" rule.  When I lived in Jomtien (and I will be returning there in a couple months) I was repeatedly told at True shops that they would not install internet above the third floor.  What Pib says is intriguing, since the high-rise building in which I'm going to be living routinely has maintenance staff run new connection lines directly from the building's distribution point to individual condo units upon request (for a fee.)  Now, to see if I can effectively communicate that to the True staff.

2 hours ago, Requiem said:

Hey guys,

maybe it will be a little bit off topic, but do all these providers (AIS, TRUE, 3BB) allow 6 months contract if i'm a new customer? I remember last year they only had 1 year contracts and then you pay a fine if you cancel the plan before 1 year.

i will need to sign up for a plan for 7 months, since that's how long i'll stay in Bangkok.

Also, which provider and plan would you recommend? I just need internet for work from home, dont need netflix.

Appreciate the information

Req

True requires a 12-month contract, but if you move they will transfer your service to a new location under the same contract, if they have service in that area.  Are you staying in Thailand after the seven months, or leaving the country?

I haven't had 3BB for several years, but reports I've read here even since I stopped using them say that foreigners must pre-pay the first year's service in advance upon signing the contract.  If you have a Thai wife, or other Thai friend maybe, you might avoid that?  If so, I'm not sure about the length of a non-foreigner contract.

If you can get a thai (Wife, Cousin, whatever) to put it in their name and you stay out of the picture then its a completely different scenario. We got 3BB in the wifes name and it was (at the time it was like 1300 baht for 30/10) 3200 baht for them to come out and install and then pay by month. Its now 700 baht for 50/10.

It was the same with True, small upfront and pay monthly. If I tried to get true myself they wanted a 1 year contract paid in full. Fuk that noise. 

29 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Oh, now that's an interesting take on the "no-True-above-3rd-floor" rule.  When I lived in Jomtien (and I will be returning there in a couple months) I was repeatedly told at True shops that they would not install internet above the third floor.  What Pib says is intriguing, since the high-rise building in which I'm going to be living routinely has maintenance staff run new connection lines directly from the building's distribution point to individual condo units upon request (for a fee.)  Now, to see if I can effectively communicate that to the True staff.

Expect a lot depends on how the condo building is already wired, what type of internet capability is already feeding to the building (i.e., fiber, DOCSIS, and/or xDSL), what building management allows, etc.

And only running something to the third floor kinda sounds like if they had to run the cable on the outside of the building or run a cable inside the building vs just hooking into the building's current circuits junction box.    I can't image True is not providing service to highrise condos going tens-of-stories tall unless some of above mentioned factors are in play...just too many potential customers.

2 hours ago, Pib said:

I can't image True is not providing service to highrise condos going tens-of-stories tall unless some of above mentioned factors are in play...just too many potential customers.

Hard to know what the truth really is.  I consistently got the "not over 3F" rejection from several True offices, with the exception of one gal who proclaimed that True doesn't do internet in any condos, only houses.

For the condo building in which I just bought, co-owners have told me (in person and online) that the maintenance guys will rewire even fibre from the building junction directly to condo units as apparently the existing copper wire infrastructure for phone lines is not all that great.

anything that has "true" in it really sucks! their website and internet service and especially their TV service! all they do is pass on current programming from the redst of asia and their english programs are much less than their Thai programs, they don't have popular programs that other providers have such as fox news, C.I. FYI, and others, it seems that if they have to apy for it they don't get it even though they are charging to juch for their packages except for the thai packages. 1,556. baht for gold? for that price I got over 200 channels in the U.S. just recently! called them once and asked if I could subscribe to a certain program, was told no! if there was any other tv service provider up here in Ubon, I would drop true in a heart beat! as it is I have to rely on my computer to watch TV!

I have True 30/3 fiber (fiber all the way into the house) and I like it just fine, except I can't seem to get the port-forwarding to work for my security cameras.

My speedtests to international locations are much faster using True than my previous 3BB VDSL 50/10 setup was. (I do not use VPN when speed testing.)  No problem port-forwarding with 3BB, though.

I added on the True Smart Family HDTV package for 300 baht extra and I have plenty of English speaking channels.

Other than the port-forwarding issue, I am perfectly happy with my True package. About 1100 baht per month, total, including SIM card and I believe that I also have an available landline telephone port, but I have no hardline phone to test it as of yet.

Edited by Issanman

I have True 30/3 fiber (fiber all the way into the house) and I like it just fine, except I can't seem to get the port-forwarding to work for my security cameras.

You need to use DDNS in order to map your forwarded port(s) to/from your constantly changing public IP address.

All ISPs can and do deliver broadband into high-rise building over the third floor. Whether the building's management allows any/all ISPs to do this is another matter. Just as some housing estates, some condos have exclusive arrangements with just one provider: fixed line, CATV, internet etc. Every building will represent different challenges but in most recent, green-field installs, fiber is brought into the ground floor and copper used in the riser with VDSL2 (which can support all but 1 Gbps) used as the transport; simple, clean, neat, fast, easy, reliable.

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

You need to use DDNS in order to map your forwarded port(s) to/from your constantly changing public IP address.

Yes, the DDNS works fine with the 3BB, but I so far I cannot get it to work with True.

18 hours ago, Pib said:

It's not just a question of the wiring to my condo True just simply refuse to accept any order for internet if you live above the 3rd floor. I have tried several offices. 

3 minutes ago, Henryford said:

It's not just a question of the wiring to my condo True just simply refuse to accept any order for internet if you live above the 3rd floor. I have tried several offices. 

This may be related to your specific building or location? I know several people who live well above the 3rd floor and have TrueVisions, and TrueOnline service. Now mobile phone service is another story.