What Is " Som Nam Naa " In English ?

baennaenae

Thanks but Hmmmmmmmm...that's not quite correct.

Im confused - if you know its not quite correct, why were you even asking in the first place? Was this some kind of test :o

I believe the OP is Thai and knows exactly what "som nam naa" means but are looking for the English equivalent. Appearantly she doesn't feel "serves you right" quite catches the meaning of the frase.

However, I too thought "serves you right" was the nearest English equivalent.

Sophon

• Like 1

Im confused - if you know its not quite correct, why were you even asking in the first place? Was this some kind of test :o

I believe the OP is Thai and knows exactly what "som nam naa" means but are looking for the English equivalent. Appearantly she doesn't feel "serves you right" quite catches the meaning of the frase.

Sophon

And looking at her previous posts, her English is excellent, so I really do not know why she has posted what she has. She will know exactly what it means :D

Im confused - if you know its not quite correct, why were you even asking in the first place? Was this some kind of test :D

Sophon

And looking at her previous posts, her English is excellent, so I really do not know why she has posted what she has. She will know exactly what it means :D

Thanks :D but I am still not convinced that ' serves you right ' is the one but I maybe wrong that's why I brought up the thread. Though, we use " Som Narm Naa" to disapprove someone when things go wrong with that person. Do you use ' serves you right ' to disapprove someone ? :o Please correct me if my understanding about ' servers you right ' is incorrect :D

It is a sort of disapproving statement.

It is used when you tell someone not to do something, then you do it and it obviously goes wrong.

So a light shrug of the shoulders and " Som Narm Naa".

Thats my interpretation, not surprisingly, one of the first phrases I learnt. :o

Good Luck

Moss

Im confused - if you know its not quite correct, why were you even asking in the first place? Was this some kind of test :D

Sophon

Thanks :D but I am still not convinced that ' serves you right ' is the one but I maybe wrong that's why I brought up the thread. Though, we use " Som Narm Naa" to disapprove someone when things go wrong with that person. Do you use ' serves you right ' to disapprove someone ? :o Please correct me if my understanding about ' servers you right ' is incorrect :D

Yes you would use it to disapprove of someone. If for example they did something that you considered to be 'wrong' and at a later stage the same person suffered as a result of the'wrong' thing they did, then you would have no pity for them, you would just say 'serves you right'

“Serves you right” or “you got what you deserve” would be the closest I could explain Som Narm Naa

A couple of examples

If someone was standing on a swivel chair instead of a ladder to reach an item stored up high, and you warned them of the danger but they didn’t heed your advice and fell off the chair, you would say “serves you right” or Som narm naa”.

You told someone not to buy rolex watch from a man on the street as they were copies. The guy doesn’t believe your warning and buys a watch for a high price only to find out its fake. You would say “Serves you right”

A guy meets a girl and falls in love with her. You can see she’s only after his money and doesn’t love him. You warn him but he won’t believe you. A couple of years later you meet this guy who is now penniless and divorced. You would say “Serves you right”

Another example of SOM NAM NA สมน้ำหน้า that I heard recently from some Thais discussing Thaksin being exiled abroad.

One of them had little sympathy and said "SOM NAM NA" - Serves him right!

Another example of SOM NAM NA ????????? that I heard recently from some Thais discussing Thaksin being exiled abroad.

I would say that to him,too :o Hope he is long gone ...Saa-too :D:D:D

Edited by baennaenae

Another example of SOM NAM NA ????????? that I heard recently from some Thais discussing Thaksin being exiled abroad.

I would say that to him,too :o Hope he is wrong gone ...Saa-too :D:D:D

I think you mean "I hope he stays away for a long time." "Long gone" means ไปต่างแต่นานแล้ว

I would say that to him,too :o Hope he is wrong gone ...Saa-too :D:D:D

I think you mean "I hope he stays away for a long time." "Long gone" means ????????????????

Oh okidoki, Thanks . I wanted to say ' hope he would never be allowed to come back ' :D Go going Goneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ... :D

But geeez, you were as fast as lightning, you didn't wait for me to fix the word ' wrong ' :D it was the typo..

Edited by baennaenae

I was told it's the English equivalent to "in your face"

Wrong?

What is the difference between ' in your face ' and ' serves you right ' ?

I didn't post to debate semantics, I simply asked if "in your face" was right or wrong

And OBTW, the difference is the spelling.

Ouch ! I only asked a simple question because I want/ need to know how you use it I don't want to make a mistake with it like I did with ' serves you right ' . And THANKS for telling me the difference of the two words, it helps a lot. :o It helps to let me know how some English native speakers clarify THINGS :D

Edited by baennaenae

Serves You right. It's correct also means " you deserve it " but the diffirent is

" som nam naa " : normally quite impolite way to say it ( Negative )

" som khuan " : you deserve it can be a good way and bad way , it depends on situation :o

Cheers.

Serves You right. It's correct also means " you deserve it " but the diffirent is

" som nam naa " : normally quite impolite way to say it ( Negative )

" som khuan " : you deserve it can be a good way and bad way , it depends on situation :D

Cheers.

True, but they both have the same meaning, ' Serves you right ' :o , in the bad way :D