Danish man conned me of 100 million baht while I had cancer -  Thai woman begs PM for justice

webfact

Danish man conned me of 100 million baht while I had cancer -  Thai woman begs PM for justice

p2.jpg

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A Thai woman says her aging Danish husband ripped her off to the tune of 100 million baht and now she has turned to prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha for help.

Thiamjan Harnlakorn, 53, appeared with her lawyer, relatives and several placards in a plea for help from the PM at the Commerce Ministry in Nonthaburi yesterday.

The placard on the right in the picture states: "Danish Farang Bullied Thai Woman!"

The issue relates to a matter that has already been settled by the courts. 

Thiamjan won a judgment that her shares that amounted to a 51% controlling interest in their company Daen Thailand and Property Co Ltd on Samui were illegally removed from her.

She says that she fought a seven year battle for justice and won - but she has yet to receive a single baht of her shares back from her husband Per Viggo Helling, 63.

She told reporters yesterday that the shares were transferred from her control by her husband when she was suffering from cancer of the uterus. 

He cleaned her out of the shares when she was recuperating from surgery, she said.

In addition the Dane hounded her out of their home and put up a sign saying that she had no rights in the company whatsoever, she claimed.

Samui police then the Crime Suppression Division became involved before the matter was resolved in her favor by the courts.

She said that efforts to have the name on the shares changed back to her had proved fruitless despite the courts decision.

"Who am I to turn to now?" she said. "After my illness I have run out of money. So I am asking for the prime minister's help to get justice".

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-09-19

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, steelepulse said:

I wonder who put the money in to begin with?  If I was a betting man I'd say it wasn't her.

Why "Danish Farang" instead of Danish man?

Doesn't matter, any assets gained after marriage, by Thai law have to be split 50 50.  I assume at least some of the assets fit in that category, not to mention a judge has already ruled on it.

No one is celebrating a Woman with Cancer being ripped off. 

But many are documenting the thought that came to many of our minds first.

100 million Baht - 51% of a company...  Who's company was it ? Who put the Money Into the company ?

Without knowing more we can only speculate - However, in the absence of better information speculation could be that the Dutch Man put forwards all of the money and gave his Wife 51% share as any Company in Thailand needs to me Majority Thai owned. 

Upon separation the lady expected 51% of the company which was later agreed upon by the court. 

The Dutch guy obviously believes the money to be his. 

The lady appears to be using the fact that she has cancer to Martyr herself publicise the story.

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

100 million Baht - 51% of a company...  Who's company was it ? Who put the Money Into the company ?

Without knowing more we can only speculate - However, in the absence of better information speculation could be that the Dutch Man put forwards all of the money and gave his Wife 51% share as any Company in Thailand needs to me Majority Thai owned. 

Upon separation the lady expected 51% of the company which was later agreed upon by the court. 

The lady appears to be using the fact that she has cancer to Martyr herself publicise the story.

Please see my post above yours.

If we leave alone who put in what, there is something else this article demonstrates:

Using the Thai Courts to solve a business or contractual problem can be quite pointless.

If a Thai person can't get satisfaction after a Court judgement and 7 years, what chance does a foreigner have?

If it's an equal chance then that's no chance at all.

48 minutes ago, G Marks said:

Doesn't matter, any assets gained after marriage, by Thai law have to be split 50 50.  I assume at least some of the assets fit in that category, not to mention a judge has already ruled on it.

Assets 'Gained' after marriage - This would imply that the business 'made' 200 Million Baht since marriage, 50% of which was awarded to the 'ex-Wife' following divorce.  

However, whats more likely (again, we can only speculate).. the Danish Man moved 'Money' in to Thailand to start up his business which to make legal in Thailand he had to award 51% of the business to his Wife. 

The Wife, now a 51% partner is demanding her share of 51% of the business valued at 100 Million Baht.

Again - I very much doubt that 100 Million Baht was made since the start of the Marriage or Since the Business started, rather a Significant cash injection from the Danish Guy is the majority of that 100 million baht. 

But - Its all speculation: The Story is quite thin on facts... 

Edited by richard_smith237
(Edit: Mistaken Nationality: Dutch / Danish

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Assets 'Gained' after marriage - This would imply that the business 'made' 200 Million Baht since marriage, 50% of which was awarded to the 'ex-Wife' following divorce.  

However, whats more likely (again, we can only speculate).. the Dutch Man moved 'Money' in to Thailand to start up his business which to make legal in Thailand he had to award 51% of the business to his Wife. 

The Wife, now a 51% partner is demanding her share of 51% of the business valued at 100 Million Baht.

Again - I very much doubt that 100 Million Baht was made since the start of the Marriage or Since the Business started, rather a Significant cash injection from the Dutch Guy is the majority of that 100 million baht. 

But - Its all speculation: The Story is quite thin on facts... 

Two FACTS jump to mind immediately, firstly He is Danish not Dutch and secondly a judge has ruled on it and didn't need the assistance of Thai Visa.  It would be crazy to think that absolutely no money was made after marriage, I am not privy to his accounts though, unlike the judge.

48 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It does not matter if he gave her the money before. On Paper she funded 51% he surely signed it. If he gave her that money before without any evidence or official contract then it belongs to her. This is reality of life and not just in Thailand. Everyone who things that this is unfair should not do business in Thailand or get approved by BOI. I guess with a multi million Baht invest he had good chances.

Don't get me wrong I don't say that his wife is an angel. But he was so foolish and probably just sign things out love. Happens around the world not just in Thailand.

Edited by SoFarAndNear

7 minutes ago, G Marks said:

Two FACTS jump to mind immediately, firstly He is Danish not Dutch and secondly a judge has ruled on it and didn't need the assistance of Thai Visa.  It would be crazy to think that absolutely no money was made after marriage, I am not privy to his accounts though, unlike the judge.

Nationality: a Mistake

Regarding the other comment - As I wrote, this is all speculation. If we aren't going to speculate - then there is no point even having a thread... In which case, just like the BBC website we have a NEWS SITE where we can read the news but not comment on it...  

12 minutes ago, SoFarAndNear said:

It does not matter if he gave her the money before. On Paper she funded 51% he surely signed it. If he gave her that money before without any evidence or official contract then it belongs to her. This is reality of life and not just in Thailand. Everyone who things that this is unfair should not do business in Thailand or get approved by BOI. I guess with a multi million Baht invest he had good chances.

Don't get me wrong I don't say that his wife is an angel. But he was so foolish and probably just sign things out love. Happens around the world not just in Thailand.

Yep - I believe thats what most people also understand...  And also probably why this guy feels hard done by and is refusing to hand over the money. 

I wonder how the Danish Guy continues to run his business after such a ruling...  Is there even any money left to give ???

6 minutes ago, G Marks said:

Reverse the situation and the same jaded folk would be wanting the womans blood.  Same always happens when its not the Thai deemed to be at fault.

I agree that 'some' would be baying for blood given a reversal of the situation. 

But how many of us really believe the woman put any money into the business at all ???  Yes, a judge ruled in her favour for 51%, because the law is draconian and considered by many to be unfair, and, yes, the Danish man knew this before going into business and is thus complicit in his own failings. 

However, IF....  IF the Thai lady put no money in to this business many can understand the Danish Man's reluctance to pay up and can understand why has chosen to 'drag his heels'....  

Many people are aware of the 'Long Game' often mentioned on ThaiVisa.com... Yes, over the years people have developed jaded opinions when such news is reported... but why is that ?....   I think some of the Jaded responses are quite understandable. 

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree that 'some' would be baying for blood given a reversal of the situation. 

But how many of us really believe the woman put any money into the business at all ???  Yes, a judge ruled in her favour for 51%, because the law is draconian and considered by many to be unfair, and, yes, the Danish man knew this before going into business and is thus complicit in his own failings. 

However, IF....  IF the Thai lady put no money in to this business many can understand the Danish Man's reluctance to pay up and can understand why has chosen to 'drag his heels'....  

Too many people have heard of the 'Long Game' often reported to be played... Yes, over the years people have developed jaded opinions when such news is reported... but why is that ?....  

"Yes, over the years people have developed jaded opinions when such news is reported... but why is that ?....  "  Firstly even sigmund freud would struggle with analyzing this bunch, so I think I will swerve any attempt thanks.  Secondly, the laws the law, it doesn't tend to change because you don't like it.  I am 99% sure she didn't put in 1 red cent, however that has nothing to do with anything. 

Edited by G Marks

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Many people are aware of the 'Long Game' often mentioned on ThaiVisa.com... Yes, over the years people have developed jaded opinions when such news is reported... but why is that ?....   I think some of the Jaded responses are quite understandable. 

Lets face it, the really dumb move here was putting her name anywhere near the company when he registered it.  Use 5 complete randoms, just like everyone else.  He did use her name however, deal with it.

Sorry, this wasn't supposed to be a reply post to Richard.

Edited by G Marks

1 minute ago, G Marks said:

"Yes, over the years people have developed jaded opinions when such news is reported... but why is that ?....  "  Firstly even sigmund freud would struggle with analyzing this bunch, so I think I will swerve any attempt thanks.  Secondly, the laws the law, it doesn't tend to change because you don't like it.  I am 99% sure she didn't put in 1 red cent, whoever that has nothing to do with anything. 

[I am 99% sure she didn't put in 1 red cent, whoever that has nothing to do with anything]

It has everything to do with this... It is the whole reason the Topic exists.... The Danish Man is not willing to give back 51% of the Shares, which are apparently valued at 100 million baht...   This whole discussion / thread revolves around why this may be... 

No one is debating the law...  no one questioned the decision of the Judge.

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

This sounds like the sort of story I've heard before...

something different about it though...

can't quite put my finger on what it is...

maybe there is nothing to put the finger on. the facts of the story are clear. 

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

[I am 99% sure she didn't put in 1 red cent, whoever that has nothing to do with anything]

It has everything to do with this... It is the whole reason the Topic exists.... The Danish Man is not willing to give back 51% of the Shares, which are apparently valued at 100 million baht...   This whole discussion / thread revolves around why this may be... 

No one is debating the law...  no one questioned the decision of the Judge.

Man needs to learn to read then, no point arguing with the establishment.