Motorcycle accidents kill an average of 15 Thai youths every 10 days

webfact

Motorcycle accidents kill an average of 15 Thai youths every 10 days

190906-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Fifteen Thai youths aged between 10-14 die every ten days from motorcycle accidents or about 700 deaths each year, said Dr Adisak Plitpolkarnpim, director of Ramathibodi Hospital's Child Safety Promotion and Injury Prevention Research Centre (CSIP), on Monday.

CSIP has produced a video clip showing motorcycle accidents involving Thai youngsters with an aim to promote safety among young Thais travelling in motorbikes. The clip which was posted in the social media has, so far, attracted many viewers.

Dr Adisak said that parents were responsible for death and injury of the young victims but he didn’t want to put all the blame on them. All those people who saw the underaged riding on the pillions of motorcycles or who ride the bikes and did nothing about it are to blame, he added.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/motorcycle-accidents-kill-average-15-thai-youths-every-10-days/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-19

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These deaths will only be reduced when the Thai Police actually start vigorously enforcing the laws of the land regarding licenses, helmets, under-age drivers, more than 2 passengers, speeding, racing in gangs etc etc.

There is no magic formula.

6 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

These deaths will only be reduced when the Thai Police actually start vigorously enforcing the laws of the land regarding licenses, helmets, under-age drivers, more than 2 passengers, speeding, racing in gangs etc etc.

This type of regulation and enforcement needs to start in the home...you can't just arrest and lock up all teenage boys. 

1 minute ago, ClutchClark said:

This type of regulation and enforcement needs to start in the home...you can't just arrest and lock up all teenage boys. 

I agree with you on principle, but, the problem arises when the parents themselves are just as culpable and irresponsible, Children learn by example..

3 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

Does it matter - just Darwin Principe kicking in

Nothing to do with Dawin. 

Kids are kids of any nationality and many good kids have died because "experienced" adults are not stepping in to pass down the wisdom.

Part of being a youth is pushing boundaries and its often the Alpha mentality that does that most with physical feats. Does not matter from what country. All my kids and grandkids learned to ride dirtbikes and it took alot of adult supervision. I can't remember the number of times I gave the kids some unsupervised time and not 5 minutes later I would hear those RPM's pegged half way down the county road. This would result in immediate suspension of priveleges.

Its caled parenting.

"Dr Adisak said that parents were responsible for death and injury of the young victims but he didn’t want to put all the blame on them. All those people who saw the underaged riding on the pillions of motorcycles or who ride the bikes and did nothing about it are to blame, he added."

That's idiotic.  It's the parents and then it's the police's responsibility to stop them.   Ain't mine!

26 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

I agree with you on principle, but, the problem arises when the parents themselves are just as culpable and irresponsible, Children learn by example..

Now I understand...sadly, in the absence of parenting we must place the burden on law enforcement. 

Unfortunately, the perimeters of how law enforcement can function are not always constructive....juvenile detention, etc..

Society is letting these youth down.

Edited by ClutchClark

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

Sadly it won't happen. Little money in it for the police and a distraction from other important duties such as the constant checking of their smartphones. Like everyone keeps saying over and over "life is cheap in Thailand", including the lives of children and young ones it seems.

The buck stops with The Boss; he is in charge of everything.

Edited by Brer Fox

1 hour ago, tominbkk said:

I thought it would be a lot more than that.  Those teens and tweens don't give a shiiiiiiiiiitttttt.

This so much. Out here in Surin these kids are straight up wild. Wheelies on the side of the road while giant overburdened tractor trailers have to move around THEM. 

I agree with the other posters - starts with the parents, then law enforcement, but it aint got nothing to do with me. 

Thai parents and the male kids, I can't explain it, but they don't want to discipline them. They think the kinds will not "Love" them anymore its fukkin retarded. 

2 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Where are the parents?

Thai cultural practices on parental responibility are certainly different from my own. 

They are watching soapseries on tv and even gave the kids the keys....Who cares? There's no police...well actually there is but only in daytime...and only on the mainroads...and they even don't stop kids racing around without helmets with 5 on a scooter on kanchana phisek ringroad in BKK. I've seen it myself lastweek, that policecar even had running alarmlights on his roof, drove behind the girls on that scooter for a while and turned into a fuelstation without doing anything....

I was waiting for him to stop the girls so i drove slow but of course they went to buy some drink or so..mai pen lai, sabaai sabaai.

Now we have extra checkpoints at the mainroads since the BKK officials announced extra action or whatever...

My motocy is missing it's headlight right now, i came from the hondadealer and after 200 metre there was a checkpoint..i just drove slow and expected them to stop me, of course not...who cares about a missing headlight? I had to receipt in my pocket though, i had just ordered a new one.

It's all to blame on the lazy Thai police....the ones that are not on inactive posts all do nothing all day...yes they have checkpoints but 100 metre before a checkpoint you can see the offenders turnaround and drive against traffic to find another way...

45 minutes ago, inactiveposter said:

Not to detract/distract from the horrific results of these accidents, but who's doing their math? 365 days divided by 10 gives you the total 10-day periods in a year (36.5). Round it up to 37 and multiply by 15 and you get 555 deaths, not 700.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Maybe they're are just counting the numbers of parts of bodies that are delivered to the morgue.

There's a middle school right by my house (grades 7-9, ages 11-14), so many kids ride MCs in to school.  It was never like that until about three years ago.  There are kids 13 and 14 coming in on bikes, probably 150 of them parked in front of the school.  And nobody stops them.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

Now we have extra checkpoints at the mainroads since the BKK officials announced extra action or whatever...

My motocy is missing it's headlight right now, i came from the hondadealer and after 200 metre there was a checkpoint..i just drove slow and expected them to stop me, of course not...who cares about a missing headlight? I had to receipt in my pocket though, i had just ordered a new one.

It's all to blame on the lazy Thai police....the ones that are not on inactive posts all do nothing all day...yes they have checkpoints but 100 metre before a checkpoint you can see the offenders turnaround and drive against traffic to find another way...

You were missing a headlight, and you had just ordered a new one complete with dealer's receipt. The police failed to stop you and you complain about them being lazy. Fair enough, but then had the police stopped you and given you a ticket for lack of a headlight, would you be on here complaining about police targetting farangs or having better things to do than ticket for minor infractions?

14 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

That's because, in Thailand a driving license is not necessary and speeding is widely accepted.

Not required by law??? ...don't tell me a beer mat signed by a local big wig in in the RTP is accepted in lieu of a driving licence???

I am sure at only 1.5 a day there is some under reporting here...

Edited by Basil B

10 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Not required by law??? ...don't tell me a beer mat signed by a local big wig in in the RTP is accepted in lieu of a driving licence???

I am sure at only 1.5 a day there is some under reporting here...

Look, if you get stopped without a license, you pay the fine and are free to continue your ride. And whats with the boys and girls who are even to young for a DL? You see them everyday.

So, what does the RTP really to lowering down the danger of the streets?

In many Western countrys it's now mandatory to keep on the lights on cars, day and night. And here? Even during night time many drivers don't use their light. And who cares? Nobody.

The problem, there are only checkpoints which are easy to avoid. The RTP should start to check car- and motorcycle drivers on the fly. If they see someone without light, stop them. Too fast? Stop it. Children as drivers? Stop it. No helmet? Stop it. Driving against the traffic, stop them. As long this not happen, nothing will change. Easy as that.

There would be a lot of work for the RTP. But it seems, outside of a official checkpoint everyone enjoys a fool license.

Edited by alocacoc

15 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

Look, if you get stopped without a license, you pay the fine and are free to continue your ride. And whats with the boys and girls who are even to young for a DL? You see them everyday.

So, what does the RTP really to lowering down the danger of the streets?

In many Western countrys it's now mandatory to keep on the lights on cars, day and night. And here? Even during night time many drivers don't use their light. And who cares? Nobody.

The problem, there are only checkpoints which are easy to avoid. The RTP should start to check car- and motorcycle drivers on the fly. If they see someone without light, stop them. Too fast? Stop it. Children as drivers? Stop it. No helmet? Stop it. Driving against the traffic, stop them. As long this not happen, nothing will change. Easy as that.

There would be a lot of work for the RTP. But it seems, outside of a official checkpoint everyone enjoys a fool license.

I am perfectly comfortable with Thailand developing as a nation at her own pace. That pace allowed me a few decades' stay and a few more to go...

"All those people who saw the under aged riding on the pillions of motorcycles or who ride the bikes and did nothing about it are to blame..."

However, the police who direct traffic at the entrances to schools, and who do nothing, are NOT to blame. Can you imagine what would happen if a civilian attempted to do a policeman's job. There would be so much loss of face that the resulting deaths and injuries would make those resulting form motorcycle crashes seem minuscule.

So typical....Always diverting the blame away from those in power who are supposed to be responsible.

Edited by jaltsc

42 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

You were missing a headlight, and you had just ordered a new one complete with dealer's receipt. The police failed to stop you and you complain about them being lazy. Fair enough, but then had the police stopped you and given you a ticket for lack of a headlight, would you be on here complaining about police targetting farangs or having better things to do than ticket for minor infractions?

Well i would show them the receipt, i just bought the new headlight and had proof of that. 

I don't complain about them targetting farang, last week they stopped me (while i was really misbehaving in chinatown and there are no rules at all, it's mayhem there), he pointed at me while i stood on the middle of the road waiting for the light to get green. I had to come to him which i did, then he got nervous and didn't dare to speak to me. The light went green, all cars pulled up but i waited for his instructions or fine. Go GO he suddenly yelled, which i did of course...but i was waiting for the fine actually.

But go have a look in Chinatown, there's no beginning in writing fines there, they all misbehave, it's the rules of the jungle there. They even push your motobike when there's really no place to go between the cars.

I follow all rules except i won't keep lept and also drive too fast because that's more safe. I hate when they pass me from the back.