Motorcycle accidents kill an average of 15 Thai youths every 10 days

webfact

22 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Now I understand...sadly, in the absence of parenting we must place the burden on law enforcement. 

Unfortunately, the perimeters of how law enforcement can function are not always constructive....juvenile detention, etc..

Society is letting these youth down.

This has been the situation in the west, since pretty much day one. In fact, the US singlehandedly perfected this approach. However, parental abdication of responsibilities to educators, law enforcement officials and the like has become the new societal 'business model,' and the crux of societal discontent in most developed nations. This, however, is not that.

This is a budding society that has lost its sense of direction, and at the same time, its sense of purpose, at a point in history when it simply cannot afford to do either, and maintain any sort of relevance. This place does not need 'smiles.' It needs hope and direction, for both parents and children alike. When a nation intuitively understands that something is 'mai chai,' (meaning FUBAR, in this instance) but continues to find itself intentionally shielded from ever uncovering the actual reasons or responsible parties, we end up with a travesty that ought to be categorized somewhere within crimes against humanity. Why this clusterf*ck was given any credence by either the UN or, even more notably, the USA, defies all progressive and humanitarian based logic. Under the circumstances (essentially, utter chaos), I would say that the young people do a pretty fair job of keeping themselves in the game. Governmental-cum-societal abandonment, once the smoke clears, reveals itself as being the much graver tragedy. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, yardrunner said:

No but when you lock up the first ten or twenty the message will be passed round pdq

i was on Koh Samui a coup,e years back and the local teenagers selling gasoline in glass bottles used to love nothing more than racing within inches of a farang crossing the street in the evenings.

I would certainly like to see some of them in jail.

28 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

Just shows how wrong personal observation and assumption can be....pedestrian deaths rate on a par with motorcycles indeveloping countries...... The difference being they are far less likely to be the perpetrators. but are usually the victims of Soi. Off for. Vehicles

I must be missing the point here, and if so I apologise, but I'm not sure whether you're saying that the percentage of pedestrians killed by 'bikes are the same in Thailand as developed countries - or that the actual numbers are the same?

I'd also be interested to hear how many car drivers are killed by 'bike drivers - and conversely, how many 'bike drivers are killed by car drivers?

Edited by dick dasterdly

On 9/6/2016 at 3:39 PM, OMGImInPattaya said:

If you look at most Thais, or Asians generally,  they have no or very small nose bridges (most have cute button noses). The lack of any substantial nose bridge makes wearing any kind of glasses difficult...they just slide down the nose/face.

19 hours ago, tominbkk said:

Maybe they're are just counting the numbers of parts of bodies that are delivered to the morgue.

There's a middle school right by my house (grades 7-9, ages 11-14), so many kids ride MCs in to school.  It was never like that until about three years ago.  There are kids 13 and 14 coming in on bikes, probably 150 of them parked in front of the school.  And nobody stops them.

My Thai kids both passed there M/C test at 15yrs old its all legal,could not believe it at the time,

sorry some thing happend a post came up out of nowhere,do find quoting alittle confusing,LOL

On 9/19/2016 at 9:37 AM, ClutchClark said:

This type of regulation and enforcement needs to start in the home...you can't just arrest and lock up all teenage boys. 

No, but the underage motorcyclists can have their, or their parents bikes which they are usually riding confiscated, start doing that and they will soon get the message.

10-14 die every ten days from motorcycle accidents or about 700 deaths each year,
I think many kids would be better off doing their homework, and learn p.e. basic mathematics, then riding a motorbike.

When we lived in Bkk, an 11-yr-old girl drove a motorcycle daily to our house.  On  the  way, she had  to pass a notorious spot for police stops.  I asked her how she avoided getting pulled over since she was underage and unlicensed.  She replied, "Oh, they know kids don't have any money, so they never stop me."

On 9/19/2016 at 3:45 PM, tominbkk said:

"Dr Adisak said that parents were responsible for death and injury of the young victims but he didn’t want to put all the blame on them. All those people who saw the underaged riding on the pillions of motorcycles or who ride the bikes and did nothing about it are to blame, he added."

That's idiotic.  It's the parents and then it's the police's responsibility to stop them.   Ain't mine!

Agreed...there have been numerous times when I've seen motorbikes ride casually through a police checkpoint with babies on board and no helmets on the driver...I can only assume that the police didn't believe the driver had the money to pay the "fine"...

18 hours ago, KKr said:

10-14 die every ten days from motorcycle accidents or about 700 deaths each year,
I think many kids would be better off doing their homework, and learn p.e. basic mathematics, then riding a motorbike.

Is that what you did? doesn't sound like it.

Edited by cumgranosalum

1 hour ago, cumgranosalum said:

Is that what you did? doesn't sound like it.

Not only did I learn basic math, I learned to read as well, see first post ::

BANGKOK: -- Fifteen Thai youths aged between 10-14 die every ten days from motorcycle accidents or about 700 deaths each year, said Dr Adisak Plitpolkarnpim, director of Ramathibodi Hospital's Child Safety Promotion and Injury Prevention Research Centre (CSIP), on Monday.

Edited by KKr

I see this as a dual issue... 

Firstly - at ages 10-14 these 'children' should not be in control of any motorised vehicle any where near other motorised vehicles... The blame here is firmly with poor parenting... For whatever reasons: i.e. Parents are uneducated themselves, parents are ignorant, careless, do not know the risks, see others doing the same and copy them etc etc... 

The Parents are the First line of defence in protecting youngsters. 

Secondly - Enforcement of the Law is fundamentally flawed: In system operated by lazy, ineffective, corrupt people no measures are taken in enforcing existing laws. This is tantamount to 'allowing' these issues to continue. 

--------

Related to the first issue - Parenting: My son came of his balance-bike yesterday (2.5 yrs old)... over the handlebars and smacked his head on the ground...  cried a little, took off his helmet, we had a look.. he was fine and carried on playing on his bike. Without a helmet this would have been much more serious. I see other kids in the same playground without helmets...  Knowing what we all now know about the risk of head injury, I see this as poor & lazy parenting... much like allowing a 10-14 year old out on a Motorbike. 

2 hours ago, KKr said:

Not only did I learn basic math, I learned to read as well, see first post ::

BANGKOK: -- Fifteen Thai youths aged between 10-14 die every ten days from motorcycle accidents or about 700 deaths each year, said Dr Adisak Plitpolkarnpim, director of Ramathibodi Hospital's Child Safety Promotion and Injury Prevention Research Centre (CSIP), on Monday.

think you missed out on reading writing and comprehension though?

Helmets are obviously missing from many of these premature deaths, that desperately needs enforcement, while I get fined for using a DOT/SNELL/ECE certified helmet (not TIS certified, though)?

Seems like a crime to have myself some better head protection, or am I to purchase said products from local distributors to get that TIS-certified sticker and not be randomly hassled?

On 21 September 2016 at 4:10 PM, cumgranosalum said:

think you missed out on reading writing and comprehension though?

don't many people do. 

However, I found a wunderkind that quickly located the block button.
ByeBye