Can I get a tourist Visa from UK by post?

According to Thai Embassy UK website, it appears you can send in an application by post, yes?

However, i can't find any info on whether or not they will return your Visa by post - meaning you'd need to turn up in person to collect. Too much trouble. :(

Planning 2-3 consecutive months, then return for flight home month 6.

Any advice from those been there done this (or that), much appreciated.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yes, "by post" means both ways. It's worth looking at some of the honorary consuls (I think there's one in Liverpool) too, possibly less hassle than the embassy in London.

You can only apply by post to the London Embassy. They stopped allowing postal applications to the Consulates a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks for all info, very useful.

Looks like choices are going to Liverpool

Risk posting passport to London

Arriving on 30 day and figuring it out from there.

Non are exactly convenient, but could be worse. First World problems...

15 minutes ago, slippedisc said:

• I've never used it, but according to reports the postal service is fast and reliable. It only takes a few working days.
  • If you travel without a visa ("arriving on 30 day") the airline might not let you board unless you have an onward flight booked within 30 days of arrival.
  • Like 2

If your near hull they won't process it but will check it all through to make sure you've crossed all the i's and dotted the t's really helpful there they even posted it for me had to pay 5 return to my address but we'll worth the trip if your close enough. 

There was a rumor that hull will do the non o now after London have given the ok but Wether that's correct I can't say.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the useful advice.

Have now received a call back from Thai Consulate in Liverpool (http://www.royalthaiconsul.com/), they've confirmed for Single Entry:

Only require passport & photos

Proof of funds not required

Employment/Self assessment proof not required

Appointment booked for same day turn around (£10 extra)

Should be in & out within an hour

So, i'll lose half a day getting there and back from Manchester, but get to keep my hands on my passport, no hassle at airport and no extension or border run required (for 60 days at least), so seems like best option.

• Like 1

On 19/09/2016 at 1:16 PM, elviajero said:
  • On 19/09/2016 at 0:48 PM, elviajero said:

You can only apply by post to the London Embassy. They stopped allowing postal applications to the Consulates a couple of years ago.

I've never used it, but according to reports the postal service is fast and reliable. It only takes a few working days.
  • If you travel without a visa ("arriving on 30 day") the airline might not let you board unless you have an onward flight booked within 30 days of arrival.

I got my visa by post last year from London and it was back to me in 3 days but I thought now they have stopped visa by post at London Embassy ?

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The websites still says postal applications are available.

Why do you think it's been stopped?

Yes but I don't think they have updated there website, my uncle had to go in person and stay overnight to collect the next day, he asked about visa by post and they told him they had stopped it. I've been trying to call them but no one ever answers but it does say on there messages there are no more visas by post. My dad lives in Thailand and he said he knows a man from yorkshire and he couldn't go to Hull to get his visa on the day as they said they had stopped it and he had to go to London. I've been trying to cll Cardiff to see if I can go there to get my visa by appointment but they are always engaged.

6 hours ago, jay171275thai said:

Yes but I don't think they have updated there website, my uncle had to go in person and stay overnight to collect the next day, he asked about visa by post and they told him they had stopped it. I've been trying to call them but no one ever answers but it does say on there messages there are no more visas by post. My dad lives in Thailand and he said he knows a man from yorkshire and he couldn't go to Hull to get his visa on the day as they said they had stopped it and he had to go to London. I've been trying to cll Cardiff to see if I can go there to get my visa by appointment but they are always engaged.

Depends what type of visa he was applying for. Not all visas are available by post.

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/401

On 19/09/2016 at 4:08 PM, elviajero said:

Yes you can apply by post as long as you're in the UK and they will return it by post.

Ive done this before, however I have 2 passports. 

Arrive in Thailand on 30 day exempt. 

Send other passport to UK address and had a friend send passport to Hull Thai Embassy. 

Applied for 1 year non O visa 

Passport returned to UK address with non O visa. 

Passport sent to Thailand 

When 30 day exempt about to expire flew to Singapore for a few days. 

Returned to Thailand on other passport and activated non O visa. 

On 19/09/2016 at 6:57 PM, slippedisc said:

take a break to laos or burma and get a tourist visa, visa and little hoilday  at the same time sorted job done

31 minutes ago, misterphil said:

Send other passport to UK address and had a friend send passport to Hull Thai Embassy. 

According to Liverpool Thai Consulates in UK can now only issue Single Entry Non-Imm O visas. Last week Hull was still waiting for confirmation of this. 

56 minutes ago, misterphil said:

I know what you've done is possible, but it's against the Thai MFA rules and the Thai Embassy's rules. If the IO notices the visa was issued in the U.K., while you were in Thailand, they could cancel it. Unlikely IMO but possible.

• Like 1

If you are planning to see a bit of SE Asia, come in on a 30 day exemption (optionally extend it at immigration for a further 30 days fee 1900 Baht) then take a trip to Vientiane in Laos to get a 60 day tourist visa (can also be extended for a further 30 days at 1900 Baht). You can repeat the visa runs to Laos up to three times if you need to. Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam are also possibilities along with many other places in SE. Asia but some have a bad reputation for refusing visas; Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia is one of those, I believe Singapore also.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arandora said:

According to Liverpool Thai Consulates in UK can now only issue Single Entry Non-Imm O visas. Last week Hull was still waiting for confirmation of this. 

I spoke to them (Liverpool) yesterday, said no problem getting single entry tourist visa and booked an appointment.

Hi all

I hope that the Embassy website is correct, I sent my T visa application to them yesterday.

When my wife renewed her passport at the Embassy several months back, they said only the Embassy will be able to do postal visas at the moment.

Inadvertantly in Dec 2014 I sent a postal application to Birmingham without referencing the website. They then phoned me, and explained they no longer do postal, would I like them to post it to the Embassy. I thought it was safer to travel to Birmingham and pick it up. The Embassy can be difficult if you do not do things as per text book.

I now await the outcome.

Has anyone done a postal to the Embassy recently.

Cheers all

1 hour ago, windas said:

Hi all

I hope that the Embassy website is correct, I sent my T visa application to them yesterday.

When my wife renewed her passport at the Embassy several months back, they said only the Embassy will be able to do postal visas at the moment.

Inadvertantly in Dec 2014 I sent a postal application to Birmingham without referencing the website. They then phoned me, and explained they no longer do postal, would I like them to post it to the Embassy. I thought it was safer to travel to Birmingham and pick it up. The Embassy can be difficult if you do not do things as per text book.

I now await the outcome.

Has anyone done a postal to the Embassy recently.

Cheers all

There is nothing on the Embassy's website and no message on their phone system to suggest postal applications have been stopped.

• 1 month later...

I have just sent of my application to the Royal Thai Embassy in London for a Tourist Multiple Entry Visa. Although I have done this for the past 10 years with no problem, I haven't a clue if I will get one this time. It seems the requirements changed at the end of November 2015 and now, amongst other requirements, the applicant needs to show 6 months of Personal Bank Account and it must show that a minimum of £5,000 has remained in the account for the whole six month period. The last thing I would do these days with no interest is to leave £5k lying 'dead' in my personal account so I cannot fulfil that requirement.   Like many of us, I have tried to phone but it seems impossible to get through. I also tried the Consulate in Hull...but again, impossible to get through. Has anyone tried to get a Tourist Multi Entry recently by post? If so, did you have to send all the required information including bank statements along with the application form.   Anyone know why it is always so hard????

Edited by burhou
Spelling incorrect

Not sure what you mean by a " Tourist Multiple Entry Visa". The current Multi Entry Tourist Visa (METV) has only been in force a couple of years and replaced the One, Two or Three Entry 60 day Tourist Visa which is now only One Entry. If you are referring to a Non Immigrant O Multi Entry Visa for UK retirees over age 65 and in receipt of State Pension, you can obtain those at the Thai Embassy by post with only proof of your pension as detailed on the Embassy website. Consulates cannot issue any visas by post, only in person by prior appointment and can only issue Single Entry 60 day Tourist Visas, METVs ( which give as many entries of up to 60 days with an extension of up to 30 days for 1900 baht at a local Immigration Office, then you have to leave and get another 60 + 30 days as many times as you want within 6 months of first entry) or Single Entry Non Immigrant O visas. 

9 hours ago, burhou said:

I have just sent of my application to the Royal Thai Embassy in London for a Tourist Multiple Entry Visa. Although I have done this for the past 10 years with no problem, I haven't a clue if I will get one this time. It seems the requirements changed at the end of November 2015 and now, amongst other requirements, the applicant needs to show 6 months of Personal Bank Account and it must show that a minimum of £5,000 has remained in the account for the whole six month period. The last thing I would do these days with no interest is to leave £5k lying 'dead' in my personal account so I cannot fulfil that requirement.   Like many of us, I have tried to phone but it seems impossible to get through. I also tried the Consulate in Hull...but again, impossible to get through. Has anyone tried to get a Tourist Multi Entry recently by post? If so, did you have to send all the required information including bank statements along with the application form.   Anyone know why it is always so hard????

You were not getting a multiple entry visa before. You were getting 2 or 3 entry tourist visas that are no longer issued.

The multiple entry tourist visa allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the date of issue.

The funds do not have to in a current account. They can be any type of account.

if you didn't send the financial proof you will only get a single entry entry tourist visa.

On 11/1/2016 at 4:02 PM, burhou said:

@burhou I did what I assume you've done in January this year (2016) although I only applied for a SETV which I received in a few days. I simply sent PP, application form, Self-addressed envelope, pictures, Postal Order (£25) cash £10 for return of passport. The last was because there was a thread on TV that said that the Embassy wanted cash for the return of the PP  - not sure if it's true, but what i did worked when i did it.  :smile:

So the requirements apparently did not change in November 2015 but might of course have changed since.  Did you send proof of Employment?

Of course the big question is........ Have you got your METV or did you get a SETV?

Edited by VBF