snoop1130

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, seajae said:

again we see the way thai govts do business, doesnt matter which group is in they all are guilty of nepotism. Any family members/friends of the govt should not be allowed to even quote on govt contracts, the amount of corrupt practices every govt does it absolutely pathetic. This the same as the ptp/thaksin did when in power and they are all just as guilty as each other, doubt they will ever have a corrupt free govt in Thailand as money is too important to all of them

Not another but but but Thaksin response. Thaksin hasnt been in power for a long time. Arguably he was pulling Yingluks strings but she is no longer in power either. You cant keep pointing to the Thaksins as an excuse for the continual and ongoing failings of this junta. Especially when this current govt. holds themselves above reproach and the whole basis of thier coup was to fight corruption and to stop all the things that the Thaksins were guilty of. I know you are saying they are all as bad as each other but continually dragging Thaksin back into the arguement serves no purpose. Im sorry the old kindergarten but they did it too excuse doesnt hold any water. In fact it just makes them look even more ridiculous (If thats even possible). I do agree with your statement that Thailand will never have a corruption free govt.

In some circles here in LoS people will wonder what the fuss is about as this is how things are done.

It's a sad day when someone has power and authority and doesn't use it for the benefit of family, friends and cronies. :biggrin:

It's all to do with being entitled so what can be wrong ?

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

"The revelations by Isra News that the contracts awarded to a firm owned by Pathompol Chan-ocha prompted fresh allegations of nepotism from critics of the junta, while Pathompol’s father, Gen. Preecha Chan-ocha, said there’s nothing wrong with the arrangement."

I wonder if these people understand the meanings of "corruption", "nepotism", and "conflict of interest".   I think these practices are so deeply entrenched they don't see anything wrong with them, it's just business as usual.

Spot on.

“My son graduated with a Bachelor’s degree, and he has to work,” Gen. Preecha was quoted saying after a secret letter appointing Patipat Chan-ocha, 25, as a Second Lieutenant and officer in the army was leaked via social media in April. “Now that there’s a vacant position, I put him to work in it. Many people in the army do it. It’s not like only my son does it. That’s all for now.”

1 hour ago, nottocus said:

Failed state

Not yet.

But the inevitable conclusion if this continues. 

Were still a long way from a failed state in the sense of some of the African hell holes but the journey has begun...

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

"The revelations by Isra News that the contracts awarded to a firm owned by Pathompol Chan-ocha prompted fresh allegations of nepotism from critics of the junta, while Pathompol’s father, Gen. Preecha Chan-ocha, said there’s nothing wrong with the arrangement."

I wonder if these people understand the meanings of "corruption", "nepotism", and "conflict of interest".   I think these practices are so deeply entrenched they don't see anything wrong with them, it's just business as usual.

As usual lots of fine words about officials having to declare assets, clearing up corruption, making LoS equal for all and on and on but just as usual everything is based on selective application.

Those and such as those KNOW they're entitled and that isn't going to change or be changed, well not without some unthinkable things happening.

When the BKK hiso people were rising up against the past government in the hopes that someone like Prayuth and his brother got in power, one of their flamboyant hiso leaders named Dr Seri argued with a BBC reporter stating that some corruption is okay. I think this is what he meant. Some might actually mean 'our' but I can't say that for sure. You can see Dr. Seri on video at this link.

Dr Seri and BBC 4 Reporter

Look at the photo of the General's wife in the uniform she made for herself and including wings! What a joke. This country is so corrupt

it may take 40 years to end corruption! All this money going to the elites and very little going to education!

12 hours ago, seajae said:

again we see the way thai govts do business, doesnt matter which group is in they all are guilty of nepotism. Any family members/friends of the govt should not be allowed to even quote on govt contracts, the amount of corrupt practices every govt does it absolutely pathetic. This the same as the ptp/thaksin did when in power and they are all just as guilty as each other, doubt they will ever have a corrupt free govt in Thailand as money is too important to all of them

You've changed your tune...

According to Sakdina...

It was in the reign of King Borommatrailokkanat (1448-1488) that a formalised system was introduced designed to force even the most far-flung regions into line. King Trailok passed a series of laws that have resonated down Thai history to today and are probably the most influential royal commands issued in Thai history. Trailok introduced a governmental system which nowadays is known as the Sakdina System, but at the time were laws of Civil, Military and Provincial Hierarchies. The system itself was based upon a cultural and social order that had been practiced in much of the country at local level for centuries, Trailok made three important changes to this system, he expanded it, standardised it and centralised it.

Thai society had long been divided into two classes, the nobles and the masses, the Sakdina System clearly defined the roles within society of these two groups, how they would interact with each other and amongst themselves creating a strict social order based on the quantified worth of each individual. Rigid castes were formalised within the ranks of both nobles and commoners excluding only Chinese and women of non-noble birth who were considered without worth.

As you can see, the system is well entrenched as a major part of Thai culture.

The ruling classes see nothing wrong with how they go about their business of governing the masses.

There is no attempt at "fairness" and democracy is a Western concept that they look upon as a quaint oddity.

Power is everything.

2 hours ago, Alive said:

When the BKK hiso people were rising up against the past government in the hopes that someone like Prayuth and his brother got in power, one of their flamboyant hiso leaders named Dr Seri argued with a BBC reporter stating that some corruption is okay. I think this is what he meant. Some might actually mean 'our' but I can't say that for sure. You can see Dr. Seri on video at this link.

Dr Seri and BBC 4 Reporter

This video makes me cringe. I'm sure 98% of the people listening have no idea what this lard ass is saying. All they know is that he gets louder as he approaches the end of his speeches.

And it's the same old "You not know Thailand!". Em, yes. It's really not that difficult. The country seriously lacks basic empathy. Not in a sinister or malicious way. Just in a 'haven't been taught to debate, so can't take any criticism or put your yourself in the other person's shoes' kind of way.

As for investigating Thailand - yea, right. Bring real evidence to the media and get sued for defamation. Reminds me of the time a girl stole my mate's phone. I saw her acting suspiciously around him and we told the police. We found where the girl was, and as I was explaining to the police what I saw, (not making accusations) she very angrily and arrogantly shouted "You stop your mouth!". She had the phone, but the thing that really bothered me was her attitude. Felt like she was angry that we had gone to the police. Like we were fair game and how very dare we. 

13 hours ago, seajae said:

Agree its only a matter of what  crooks you prefer. 

6 hours ago, Thechook said:

When I look at the photo I see leste majeste.

White uniforms with a generous serving of colourful medals and ornate golden seats (thrones?) are all part of the high pantomime that is this country many of us care to reside in. Uniforms are a necessary means of separating their idea of authority from the masses. Everone from the P.M. down to a lowly school janitor can pull out some kind of uniform.Gilbert and Sullivan would have had a field day with it all.

Image result for thaksin shinawatraImage result for thaksin shinawatra sitting on golden throne

Edited by ratcatcher

5 hours ago, nottocus said:

Failed state

Neither of you have any idea what a failed state really is. It's just something to say.

"Failed state : a state whose political or economic system has become so weak that the government is no longer in control."

This "government" is very much in control whether we like it or not.  Fortunately, for the time being at least, we are still permitted to make comments on social media, something which failed states and banana republics don't seem to have.

These are serious allegations that the "reverence and honour" demanded and received is a reserved privilege and also possible of abuse of power. These are the exact reasons that many found themselves behind bars and government removed. Will the same standards be applied or just another case of the cliche "double standard".

In another news source, the/a DPM said, and I quote "If he wasn't the prime minister's younger brother, it wouldn't be news"

Two things wrong with that. It's exactly because he's the PM's younger brother that it's news. And it's a sad reflection that corruption and nepotism are accepted with nobodies, so he thinks, why can't it be accepted when it's a somebody. Life's so unfair, right?

Nobodies are exactly that. They're nobodies who aren't compelled to set examples. People in power are held to a higher standard. They are supposed to set good examples. This is why Thailand is in the mess it's in. 

Thailand: "I wan't to have my cake and eat it!". 

45 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Neither of you have any idea what a failed state really is. It's just something to say.

"Failed state : a state whose political or economic system has become so weak that the government is no longer in control."

This "government" is very much in control whether we like it or not.  Fortunately, for the time being at least, we are still permitted to make comments on social media, something which failed states and banana republics don't seem to have.

just a matter of time until they wake up to what we are talking about.

Then we'll see the forums shut down.

They want fly -in fly-out tourists who spend up big and don't ask questions.

The days of residency for farangs I believe are numbered, unless of course these clowns get the shove.

14 hours ago, tomwct said:

Remember it's going to take 20 years to knock-out Corruption in Thailand! So this okay now!

Yes, so we make sure the rest of this year we settle all the big and long term contracts for our family members, then next year we'll start on the 20 year plan :rolleyes:

Edited by mesterm

15 hours ago, tomwct said:

Remember it's going to take 20 years to knock-out Corruption in Thailand! So this okay now!

ah you beat me to it.  is there anyone left here who actually believes the current 'government' is serious about cleaning up corruption? anyone? 

15 hours ago, tomwct said:

10 hours ago, heybruce said:

They sure do understand the notion....

When they can profit from it by blaming the opposition to their current practices....

"Don't criticize me or my family for taking the money or I 44 your butt" :clap2: