Lost one month on extension of stay

Have a Non O, extended for a few years on the basis of retirement. I decided to change it to marriage, as it's cheaper regarding cash in the bank and if I do manage to find a job, a work permit application would be easier too.

Applied a month in advance of the expiry date, as I always have done. Explained to the IO that I wanted to change reason for extension. No hassle about that at all. Had to pay an additional 500 Baht for the change (listed on the receipt).Had a home visit the following day, all went OK.

Yesterday I went to get the extension stamp in my passport. All OK, except it was dated from the date I made the application, not the expiry date of the current extension.So I've lost one month on the new extension.
I mentioned it, the IO who said it was given by the regional HQ that processed it - he showed me the dates on the paperwork. He said never mind, next year I'll get a year.

I hope I'll get a year next year? Can I still apply a month in advance, or do I need to wait until a lot nearer the expiry date when applying for the next marriage extension? Is it only retirement that allows you to apply a month in advance, or was it just the changing of extension type that screwed it up?

Anyone know?

2 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

You can apply 30 days early.

At some offices it can be 45 days early.

You lose nothing by applying early.

No idea why they charged you 500 Baht.

When I've extened it before always for retirement, it's been OK, that's why I thought I'd double check the same applied to marriage (although I assumed it would).

No idea about the 500 Baht either, but it was on the receipt.

OK, as long as I can apply a month early next year, I'll maybe do that.

When you change the reason for your extension at some offices they start the new extension on the date your apply. They apparently cancel your existing extension and do a new one.

Next year unless you change again your new extension will start from the your current one ends.

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

When you change the reason for your extension at some offices they start the new extension on the date your apply. They apparently cancel your existing extension and do a new one.

Next year unless you change again your new extension will start from the your current one ends.

Thanks UJ.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

that's exactly what happen to me last year when I switch from Extension based on Marriage to Retirement, good thing is I only lost about 5 days.  This was at CW.

23 minutes ago, laislica said:

Is it possible to voluntarily lose extension time so the renewal date is more convenient?

My retirement ext renews near the end of April but a month or two sooner would suit me better.

They only do it if you change from marriage to retirement and vice versa. You cannot request to do your extension early to change the date your extension is due.

The would still want the application done within the last 30 or 45 days of your extension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laislica said:

Is it possible to voluntarily lose extension time so the renewal date is more convenient?

My retirement ext renews near the end of April but a month or two sooner would suit me better.

There is a field near the bottom of the TM7 form where you stipulate for how many days extension you are applying.  

I've never heard of anyone putting less than 365 but give it a try.   They can only make you fill out another form which I had to do when I wrote 1 year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They only do it if you change from marriage to retirement and vice versa. You cannot request to do your extension early to change the date your extension is due.

The would still want the application done within the last 30 or 45 days of your extension.

1 hour ago, MrMo said:

There is a field near the bottom of the TM7 form where you stipulate for how many days extension you are applying.  

I've never heard of anyone putting less than 365 but give it a try.   They can only make you fill out another form which I had to do when I wrote 1 year.

Thanks guys, good info and worth a try.

My current ext is retirement so to change to marriage would mean that I have to stay in Thailand longer than I would like because of the 30 days approval period which I believe starts as the old ext ends.

I'll talk to the officer and point out the reduced time on my application and see if that works. It will be great if so.

The other alternative is for me to let the ext end and get a new non imm O visa and start again with an earlier arrival date in Thailand.

Also doable.

My last 7 extensions of my permission to stay in the kingdon have been "RMMRRMR" and each time I changed from "M" to "R" or vice versa, the new extension has started from the date of application and not the end of my current permission to stay. I argued vigourously the first time but once I realised my argument was falling on stoney ground, I just accepted that thats just the way it is....

5 hours ago, laislica said:

Thanks guys, good info and worth a try.

My current ext is retirement so to change to marriage would mean that I have to stay in Thailand longer than I would like because of the 30 days approval period which I believe starts as the old ext ends.

I'll talk to the officer and point out the reduced time on my application and see if that works. It will be great if so.

The other alternative is for me to let the ext end and get a new non imm O visa and start again with an earlier arrival date in Thailand.

Also doable.

There is no reason why they couldn't give an x day (10 month) extension rather than 1 year, so it's definitely worth asking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, elviajero said:

There is no reason why they couldn't give an x day (10 month) extension rather than 1 year, so it's definitely worth asking.

I am certain they would only do a 365 day extension. They will not vary from that. People have inquired about it and have been told no.

The police order states "Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year" and that is the amount they will issue it for. The only time they will issue it for less is if your passport expires prior to the end of the one year.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am certain they would only do a 365 day extension. They will not vary from that. People have inquired about it and have been told no.

The police order states "Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year" and that is the amount they will issue it for. The only time they will issue it for less is if your passport expires prior to the end of the one year.

Correct again.

I tried and refused - "only 1 year" (Phuket).

So I left and got an OA Visa which you can adjust to suit your eventual extension date by timing your last exit/entry before the use by date (you get a 1 year extension every entry).

In the meantime I am "Immi office free" for nearly 2 years - Bliss!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Although I accept that the answer would probably be no there is nothing in the rules to stop an IO from granting less than 1 year. In my experience IO’s will/can help as long as there is room within the rules to do so. The rules say "Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year" which means permission could be anything from 1 day to 1 year.

I am sure people have asked and been turned down, but as each office has an element of autonomy it is always worth asking in situations like this.

I always apply for a one year extension (as per the maximum allowed under 'the rules') and not a 365 day extension. My last extension was for 366 days.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Although I accept that the answer would probably be no there is nothing in the rules to stop an IO from granting less than 1 year. In my experience IO’s will/can help as long as there is room within the rules to do so. The rules say "Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year" which means permission could be anything from 1 day to 1 year.

I am sure people have asked and been turned down, but as each office has an element of autonomy it is always worth asking in situations like this.

I always apply for a one year extension (as per the maximum allowed under 'the rules') and not a 365 day extension. My last extension was for 366 days.

Indeed. Always worth a try, nothing to lose and everything to gain if they agree.

• Like 1