Worker dies when building crashes down in Bangkok’s Bang Kapi district

webfact

Worker dies when building crashes down

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter -

201609202030093-20150928153929.jpg

A rescue worker searches the ruins of a building that collapsed Tuesday in Bangkok’s Bang Kapi district.

BANGKOK — A building collapsed Tuesday in the capital’s Bang Kapi district, killing one construction worker and injuring three others.

The three-story concrete residence on Yothin Patthana Road collapsed at about 6pm as construction workers were working on its fourth floor. According to crane operator Singto Kosila, he was moving a 3.3-ton concrete slab to the fourth floor when he saw the building’s floors and beams completely collapse.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2016/09/21/worker-dies-building-crashes/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-09-21

8 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Something not right in this report: all the dead and injured were Thai nationals. Hard to believe. Poor construction or poor design? I would guess a mixture of both.

Other press reports say that only one Thai worker was injured. Two male Myanmar migrant workers were hospitalised, a female Myanmar worker was injured but not hospitalised, and a male Myanmar worker was killed.

My poor taste joke (above) aside, no one should die at work. I hope the persons responsible are made to take care of his family.

1 minute ago, jamesbrock said:

Other press reports say that only one Thai worker was injured. Two male Myanmar migrant workers were hospitalised, a female Myanmar worker was injured but not hospitalised, and a male Myanmar worker was killed.

My poor taste joke (above) aside, no one should die at work. I hope the persons responsible are made to take care of his family.

" Suksit said all five workers were Thai nationals. " from link to original story.  I totally agree no one should die at work. If I cited in error, due to my own credulity that report was accurate. 

3 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

" Suksit said all five workers were Thai nationals. " from link to original story.  I totally agree no one should die at work. If I cited in error, due to my own credulity that report was accurate. 

Yes, I saw that. I apologise if it appeared I was correcting you, I was just stating what other press are reporting. I usually find the reporting that we can't quote to be more accurate than the ones we can.

will be interesting to see if this is due to the usual practice of using cheaper materials(ie, more sand and less cement) or if it was put together by totally unqualified workers with no one supervising them or making sure it was being done correctly. When will these people realize that you need to use quality products, a licenced architect and supervisors that can count to 20 without having to take off their boots & socks, also making sure the foundations are solid and level helps as do spirit levels to make sure they are at the correct angles. How many deaths does it take before the govt actually does something about these shonky buildings

Experts called in to examine site of collapsed house

The Nation 

BANGKOK: -- EXPERTS ARE being brought in by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA)’s Bang Kapi District Office to inspect a house in Soi Yothinpattana 3 that collapsed on Tuesday evening, killing a construction worker and injuring three others.

District office director Apirom Chandrakul, who inspected the scene along with related officials yesterday morning, said the building was being modified.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Experts-called-in-to-examine-site-of-collapsed-hou-30295891.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-22

From what I see of the poor construction of Thai houses, blocks of condos and malls, I quite expect the forthcoming years to see Thai-forum filled with  stories of collapsed buildings - maybe even on a par with foreigners chucking themselves off the roofs of a tall buildings for no apparent reason. 

This is why I always cross the street to the other side,  or otherwise avoid, when I come upon construction sites (and manhole covers, dangling wires, ad infinitum) It's called self-insurance. :neus:

Edited by Fookhaht

38 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

I'm still waiting for a major Earthquake under Bangkok.....and seeing what's left standing afterwards !     Can't imagine the number of fatalities.

Silver lining:  speedy major urban renewal.  It worked for San Francisco!

Screen Shot 2016-09-22 at 11.47.14 AM.png

https://blogs.loc.gov/picturethis/2012/04/san-francisco-before-and-after-the-1906-earthquake-and-fire/