Visa refused , what to do

Hi , I've got a few visa questions. Paris did not give me a single entry tourist visa because "i already spent 5 months in Thailand earlier this year" . 
They said i can go without visa for one month and in 2017 I can use my 6 months again. 
Is this valid?
Can somebody tell me if I go to Thailand , stay 1 month , then go to Malaysia or Laos , will they give me a single entry?
Or is everywhere as strict as Paris? Are you really allowed only 180 days a year with Tourist visa?
And is it possible to extend a visa exemption?

That is just a Paris rule and perhaps a couple of other locations.

You could get a 30 day visa exempt entry and extend it at immigration for 30 days. You may be asked for a ticket out of the country within 30 days to board your flight.

Then you could get a single entry tourist visa at a nearby embassy or consulate. Vientiane, Savannakhet or Penang Malaysia are the best location to get one.

42 minutes ago, champa12 said:

Ok,

and is KL not a good place to apply? 

My air france flight is supposed to leave 7 oct and flight back to France in April, so will I need to change the return date? Or keep it and just buy an airasia ticket to KL? 

KL is not a good choice.  You would be better served with a ticket to Penang or Vientiane.  You should have no issues getting a Single Entry Tourist Visa in either location, and that ticket (if scheduled within 30 days of your entry) will prevent any issue boarding your Air-France flight to Thailand.

Considering your dates - to stay for that length of time, you would need another Visa Run. 

Either of those consulates should not be a problem for your first or 2nd Tourist Visa, unless you already have several Tourist Visas from them in your passport, already.

Edited by JackThompson

Air France told me I could not get on flight if I don't have a visa, considering my trip back is in April.

Can I just change my return flight to 30 days after my arrival? Will I then be able to enter Thailand?
And if I plan to get an extension, can I not rather have a return flight after the extension instead of after the first 30 days? Or does the airline not take into account the extension? Because otherwise I will have to change it AGAIN if I get the extension (does that make sense?)

Then fly out of thailand to my home country or bordering country to apply for a new visa?

What are my options? It now seems there is no solution, other than paying really expensive fees to change the flight twice. Can anybody help me , I am a bit desperate as my BF/father of my child is there too waiting for us.

30 minutes ago, champa12 said:

Air France told me I could not get on flight if I don't have a visa, considering my trip back is in April.

Can I just change my return flight to 30 days after my arrival? Will I then be able to enter Thailand?
And if I plan to get an extension, can I not rather have a return flight after the extension instead of after the first 30 days? Or does the airline not take into account the extension? Because otherwise I will have to change it AGAIN if I get the extension (does that make sense?)

Then fly out of thailand to my home country or bordering country to apply for a new visa?

What are my options? It now seems there is no solution, other than paying really expensive fees to change the flight twice. Can anybody help me , I am a bit desperate as my BF/father of my child is there too waiting for us.

• As long as you have a flight out of Thailand to anywhere within 30 days of arrival Air Farnce should allow you to fly without a visa.
  • Many airlines have the same policy.
  • The airline will not take the possibility of an extension in to account.
  • Getting a Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV) from Vientiane or Savannakhet, Laos or Penang, Maylasia are the best choices as they require no flight bookings, hotel bookings etc.
Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, elviajero said:
  • As long as you have a flight out of Thailand to anywhere within 30 days of arrival Air Farnce should allow you to fly without a visa.
  • Getting a Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV) from Vientiane or Savannakhet, Laos or Penang, Maylasia are the best choices as they require no flight bookings, hotel bookings etc.

But even if I have an Air Asia ticket leaving Thailand within 30 days, will Air France not see that I have a return flight 6 months later, and as a consequence refuse my boarding? Or are they not looking at that if I also have this Air Asia ticket (by the way can this AirAsia ticket also be a return ticket or should it be a single trip out of Thailand)?

The carrier who transports you to Thailand will be responsible for transporting you back if you cannot enter Thailand for any reason. That is why they are having a problem allowing you on their flight. So you need to provide evidence that you can indeed enter Thailand, that is all.

My recommendation, you cannot fly directly to Thailand.

Edited by AlQaholic

If you have proof of onward travel POOT before the visa exempt entry expires the poster is not in contravention of anyThai immigration rules

This rules out the necessity for a visa

Nothing guarantees you entry into any country including a prearranged visa its at the disgression of the immigration officer / deptarment

I have done that in more than one country with no problems where my return ticket has been as far distant as 10 months

Air france are nothing other than tossers

Edited by oldlakey

11 hours ago, elviajero said:

This ^^^ - and why I suggested your onward flight (within 30 days) should be to Penang or Vientiane.  The alternative is a "throw away" ticket, which would be the cheapest flight you can find leaving Thailand within the 30-day window. 

But given your dates, a 30-day Visa Exempt entry, plus 2 Tourist Visas in the region, would cover your stated travel plan.  Getting an extension to the initial 30-days would not eliminate the need for a second Tourist Visa, so you might as well skip it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldlakey said:

If you have proof of onward travel POOT before the visa exempt entry expires the poster is not in contravention of anyThai immigration rules

This rules out the necessity for a visa

Nothing guarantees you entry into any country including a prearranged visa its at the disgression of the immigration officer / deptarment

I have done that in more than one country with no problems where my return ticket has been as far distant as 10 months

Air france are nothing other than tossers

Since the OP does not have an onward ticket, as required, why are Air France tossers?

• Like 2

Just to reiterate the correct advice given by some posters and counteract the misinformation from some others ...

If you have an onward flight anywhere within 30 days of arrival in Thailand, checking in for your Air France flight should not be a problem. Ask for a supervisor to sort it out if you run into check-in staff who do not understand the rules.

As others have suggested, a flight to Penang or Vientiane makes the most sense.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ericthai said:

Some airlines have an agreement you can sign saying that you are traveling at your own risk and it is not the airlines responsibility if your denied entry or  something close to that effect. Call the airline to see if this is an option.

It would still be the airlines responsibility to take you out of the country, but what some airlines do is get the passenger to sign an agreement to pay the costs of any return flights should entry be denied entry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ericthai said:

Some airlines have an agreement you can sign saying that you are traveling at your own risk and it is not the airlines responsibility if your denied entry or  something close to that effect. Call the airline to see if this is an option.

The term for this is an "indemnity form". It is untended to compel you to reimburse the airline for all costs they incur (returning you to your origin and fines they are assessed by immigration) should you be denied entry. They will not agree over the phone that you will be allowed to do it. Usually, the decision is made by the supervisor at check in, based on whether you look prosperous and the perceived risk that you night be denied entry. I have three times needed to sign such a form.

Edited by BritTim

METV is not possible. You need to have enough money for a minimum period of time on your account. 

Anyway,

i have a flight within 30 days of arrival to Vientiane which should let me (and daughter) board without problem? 

I am planning to extend this exemption and then obviously change my flight date to Vientiane for a month later. 

In Vientiane, I hope to be able to obtain a SETV but I've heard that many embassies now follow the "not more than 180 days a year in Thailand rule"? Which means they could refuse it as I already spent from 1st Jan till 2nd May this year.

Did anyone hear of this rule elsewhere than in Paris? 

11 minutes ago, champa12 said:

METV is not possible. You need to have enough money for a minimum period of time on your account. 

Anyway,

i have a flight within 30 days of arrival to Vientiane which should let me (and daughter) board without problem? 

I am planning to extend this exemption and then obviously change my flight date to Vientiane for a month later. 

In Vientiane, I hope to be able to obtain a SETV but I've heard that many embassies now follow the "not more than 180 days a year in Thailand rule"? Which means they could refuse it as I already spent from 1st Jan till 2nd May this year.

Did anyone hear of this rule elsewhere than in Paris? 

Vientiane and the other nearby embassies have no such rule.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has no rule or regulation limiting a persons stay on tourist visas.

Singapore has at times refused applications if you were just here when you applied or told people they have to wait 90 days to apply for another visa.

What has not been said in words is with an Air Asia or similar ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival will allow AF to let you board. They can see that you will in all probability be allowed to enter Thailand. As far as your return ticket via AF is concerned it is of no importance as to when it is. They can see that you will be departing Thailand earlier than the scheduled AF flight and allow you to board , the fact that you may not be able to return to Thailand to take up this return portion flight is of no concern to AF. They have your money and will resell your seat should you not turn up at the airport. So purchase a cheap ticket out of Thailand as you have been advised and do not alter your AF ticket in any way. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, elviajero said:

It would still be the airlines responsibility to take you out of the country, but what some airlines do is get the passenger to sign an agreement to pay the costs of any return flights should entry be denied entry.

Thanks for the correction, I know they had an agreement but couldn't recall the details. United Airlines had me sign one once about 10 years ago.

It would only be the airlines responsibility to take one out of the country IF the person was in the country. The airline would incur financial penalties possibly, only if they had carried the person to the country and the airline knew the person would probably be refused entry. 

This person would be showing the airline that he would be departing the country before he would be considered illegal. Therefore, the signing of an agreement as stated above is immaterial and would not be required. This person would be entering the country once again to take up his return AF flight via either a land border or another airline. This is NOT the responsibility of AF.

One related question I have is whether a refusal at one place will affect your chances of getting a visa elsewhere?

In applying for visas at several countries, one of the questions on the form is "have you ever been denied a visa?"  Since I've only had one visa for my 5 year stay in Thailand, I don't know if that's an issue or not.

If so, it may be wise to forgo even attempting at the more difficult places.

If not, never mind.  Still, has anyone any direct experience?

I know from experience that some consulates won't even accept an application rather than denying a visa.  Seems rather humane if it's just a matter of more paperwork, or not the right time to apply.  But I don't know about Thailand.