We Are Not Immigrants

Unless we have Thai citizenship or permanent residency (which are not easy to get), we're something else, something lower down on the scale. Immigrants? We often compare ourselves (unrealistically) to foreigners who migrate to our own home countries.

However, after 3.5 years here, it finally dawns on me: I've never been an immigrant. Heck, I live here, I've paid taxes here, I've worked here, practically married to a Thai, etc., etc. But - I'm not even an immigrant.

And bless their pea-picking heads, the Thai officials never said we were immigrants. They always said "tourist" or "NON immigrant."

Does that put a different twist to the argument as to whether we're "guests"?

Unless we have Thai citizenship or permanent residency (which are not easy to get), we're something else, something lower down on the scale. Immigrants? We often compare ourselves (unrealistically) to foreigners who migrate to our own home countries.

However, after 3.5 years here, it finally dawns on me: I've never been an immigrant. Heck, I live here, I've paid taxes here, I've worked here, practically married to a Thai, etc., etc. But - I'm not even an immigrant.

And bless their pea-picking heads, the Thai officials never said we were immigrants. They always said "tourist" or "NON immigrant."

I would suggest that living in Thailand as a non-immigrant farang is not exactly "low on the scale". I could live quite comfortably anywhere in the world and I choose Thailand. And I would not renounce my home country citizenship even if it were possible, not would I look forward to pledging my allegiance here. I love living here and will probably spend the rest of my life here. I do return to the US for a month every year to pay an enormous amount of taxes.

You say, "We often compare ourselves (unrealistically) to foreigners who migrate to our own home countries." That is so, so right and I thank you for pointing that out. These TV posts are full of posts like Thais can own property in the US, or Thais can pay $20 to get into a nat'l park. No, 90% of Thais cannot enter the US, ever! They can pay 4000 baht and apply for a visa, but they will be denied and the 4000 baht pocketed by the embassy.

PB interesting post especially the "nearly married" you are a sly old devil - (meant in the nicest way).

How about -- Aliens -:a·li·en (l-n, lyn) KEY

ADJECTIVE:

Owing political allegiance to another country or government; foreign: alien residents.

Belonging to, characteristic of, or constituting another and very different place, society, or person; strange. See Synonyms at foreign.

Dissimilar, inconsistent, or opposed, as in nature: emotions alien to her temperament.

NOUN:

An unnaturalized foreign resident of a country. Also called noncitizen .

A person from another and very different family, people, or place.

A person who is not included in a group; an outsider.

A creature from outer space: a story about an invasion of aliens.

Ecology An organism, especially a plant or animal, that occurs in or is naturalized in a region to which it is not native.

TRANSITIVE VERB:

Law a·li·ened , a·li·en·ing , a·li·ens

To transfer (property) to another; alienate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ETYMOLOGY:

Middle English, from Old French, from Latin alinus, from alius, other; see al- 1 in Indo-European roots

".......practically married to a Thai," :o Try before you buy LOL :D

I'm even lower then my dog, my dog has papers from the Thai government in which they say it is a Thai dog.....

Maybe someday I will see that my dog can enter Thailand and me as the owner not....hahaha

Maybe you can get get a visa on the grounds of suporting a Thai Dog. Have to show a years supply of dog food and prove you have had it for 3 months. :o:D:D

i stay in thailand because of my wife and son. i remember in 2001 when we decided to live in the US for good but after living there for 8+ months my wife started complaining how boring it is to stay home (she is not allowed to work). she always called her parents everyday so our telephone bill sky rocketed. her parents were also begging us to go back home because they want to see their grandson. finally, my wife asked me if we can go back to live in thailand since her parents were getting old she wanted to stay with them blah, blah, blah.... so i succumb to her request.

BUT in the future, i would certainly consider going back to the US since i cannot get old in thailand doing visa run until i'm 60. and my wife has to understand that... well, my son is old enough then to live by himself in thailand or wherever he wants to...

Edited by thai_narak

I would suggest that living in Thailand as a non-immigrant farang is not exactly "low on the scale". I could live quite comfortably anywhere in the world and I choose Thailand. And I would not renounce my home country citizenship even if it were possible, not would I look forward to pledging my allegiance here. I love living here and will probably spend the rest of my life here. I do return to the US for a month every year to pay an enormous amount of taxes.

You say, "We often compare ourselves (unrealistically) to foreigners who migrate to our own home countries." That is so, so right and I thank you for pointing that out. These TV posts are full of posts like Thais can own property in the US, or Thais can pay $20 to get into a nat'l park. No, 90% of Thais cannot enter the US, ever! They can pay 4000 baht and apply for a visa, but they will be denied and the 4000 baht pocketed by the embassy.

This is so accurate in the case of the US. Even if they get a Visa they do not have to be allowed entry which I think is bull. Customs still runs Thais through the grinder and asks them the same stupid questions they were asked while getting the Visa in the first place. They treat many Southeast Asians very poorly even with a Visa especailly if they are traveling alone. This is something US Customs should be ashamed of but they laugh about it as the people walk away.

I have not only had this happen to friends but have seen this first hand while submitting to a check of my own. I watched customs grill two young ladies like they were carrying bombs. They then threatened to put them back on the plane because they could not prove they had funds available to support their stay. How many of us carry bank statements. Once they finally allowed them entry they told them do not try to work while here. I found this humerous since I could go to any home depot and hire 50 illegal aliens to work in any city I go to. These people did not even try to get a Visa yet the people who do, get treated like lepers. And people wonder why the US has so many illegal aliens. Could this be the reason? Its simply easier than being degraded.

There are ways to avoid the poor treatment but many travelers don't know them.