Thailand is a better place than the UK, USA, Australia and Japan for expats to raise a family

webfact

10 hours ago, mercman24 said:

what an absolutely stupid poll, when Thailand must have the worst education, system out of all of these countries, most kids ambition is to get a job at Mcdonalds. still leaving school mostly illiterate, was the P.M. behind this report.

Given the surveyed subjects, this is going to be heavily skewed by kids at international schools.

I see Finland doesn't even rank. Must be because we eat the small kids there. Or it could be that this piece of marketing dug up by the governments propaganda unit desperate to find anything bolstering Thai nationalism comes from a bank that has no Finnish customers.

20 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

2nd in the world in "relationships"??

If they were all as good as mine, sure, but I get the impression—not only from TV—that relationships such as ours are the exception rather than the rule.

You fallang no understan, more relationships is better.....(for a Thai).

And children who sit in a minivan all day also better so the maid doesn't have to take care of them and grandma can sleep longer.

16 hours ago, johncat1 said:

Low cost of living at the moment and relaxed lifestyle 

Indeed the only reasons for being here, the inconveniences are easily negated as long as you're single and am allowed to telecommute for work. It's almost paradise.

On 9/22/2016 at 10:13 AM, webfact said:

HSBC, which interviewed 27,000 people in 190 countries in order to compile the study, defines an expat as an adult currently living away from their country of origin

I hope this actually means that they only asked 142 expats in Thailand in their study.

Either that or their analyzing software needs a bit of an overhaul PDQ.

On 22/09/2016 at 3:25 PM, jaltsc said:

"HSBC, which interviewed 27,000 people in 190 countries in order to compile the study, defines an expat as an adult currently living away from their country of origin."

This survey treats all expats the same. There doesn't appear to be distinction between very wealthy, educated, working, retired, ethnicity, etc. Each having different needs and expectations from the country in which they want to reside. I also doubt that ease of residential and work visas/permits was factored in. I am sure if that was one of the criteria, Thailand would not have placed in the top 50. Scientifically, it's a useless survey. There might be other more accurate surveys which do not hold Thailand in such good light. However, since this one meets Thailand's needs, they will use if for publicity.

But it's a survey of people already living in the country so visa/work permits would have already been sorted & they would have been asked to rate/score their kids education, how easy they thought it was to settle in, lifestyle etc...