New Immigration Rules

I am very glad to have found your site as living here in Thailand (Phuket) since 3 years brought up some questions...

I am Swiss citizen (44 years old) and until 1 year ago I could apply for a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa as I was able to show enough assets, a 30 year house lease (which I built with my Thai partner of life) and fullfill the other neccessary requirements. Unfortunately I was told at the Thai Embassy in Zurich/Switzerland as well as the Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur that a age of 55 is required to apply now for the Non Immigrant visa. As I have to apply now for a Tourist Visa I am very concerned that the new rules (max. 3 reentries, leaving for 6 month) would apply for me in the near future.

I would have enough asstes to apply for the new "Investors" Visa. I understand a deposit of 8 Mio BHT (for 10 years bond or similar) would allow me to do so.

Nevertheless I am looking for a different solution and would kindly ask if there is another way to qualify for a Non-Immigrant Visa (with which I could then apply for an 1 year Visa).

Kind Regars,

Axel

PS: I am not working in Thailand and don't have a company. I just want to live here most of the year (8-10 month) and play golf (I own a membership at Laguna Golf Club for 20 years)

I am very concerned that the new rules (max. 3 reentries, leaving for 6 month) would apply for me in the near future.

I believe the new rules will make it easy for you to stay on a tourist visa. You will be asked to prove transfer of funds into Thailand each time after 3 entries from my reading of it and if you can do that you will be welcome. So if you have the transfer proof each time there should be no question of being refused entry for too many tourist visas.

Dude, I recommend riding it out till the time comes when and if imm issues ultimatum to you and others in your situation. That day may never come. I've been trying to find out how to get a non imm short of depositing millions of baht into a thai bank and have found no answers. See you on the course

Axel,

The 8 mil requirement is old info. Its now just 3 mil.

If you can provide one of the following evidences of investment in Thailand, each of which is equivalent to no less than 3 million Baht, If you can do this, then you are eligible to apply for a Non-Immigrant "B" Visa for the purpose of long stay in Thailand :

* Cash deposit in a fixed deposit account with government banks (Krung Thai Bank, Government Saving Bank, Bank for Agriculture Cooperatives, Rattanasin Bank, Bangkok Metropolitan Bank, Siam City Bank, Government Housing Bank).

*Government bonds, or state enterprise bonds, purchased only from government agencies or state enterprises or agencies commissioned by government or state enterprises.

* Buying a condominium unit/s from the owner according to the price registered with the Department of Lands. ( Must be approved before hand)

*Other investments the Immigration Bureau deems beneficial to the country.

You decide your risk and if its worth it.

You must show a bank statement proving the transfer of funds from an overseas bank to a Thai bank of at least 3 million Baht. The applicant must be either the recipient of the money in Thailand or the person issuing the transfer from a bank abroad. Get a Tor Tor Som.

Your first year of applications will be processed within 15 days.

Couple Tips: You must retain a continuous investment. The Immigration Bureau must first approve changes in investment. You must then retain a continuous investment after this change. You must submit evidence of investment to the official within 150 to 180 days from the day the visa application is approved.

Enjoy the life!

Sunbelt Asia

www.sunbeltasia.com

Maybe true but who wants to be pulled aside and interrogated each time he comes back from a visa run....

I seriously doubt that it will be that much bother and probably a lot less invasive than every Thai gets going into most western countries. It seems they are providing an option for those, with the means, to stay long term while weeding out those that can show no means of support.