motorbike tax renewal at Big C

mran66

2 minutes ago, johng said:

If paying at 7/11 how do they update the green/blue book ? I'm stating to think the updating tax page in the book is a bit redundant.

They don't, the book'll get updated only when you take it to them in person,

But paying online and via 7-11 is only for cars/bike not needing inspection, so by the time the 7th years, you'll need to get inspected and present the inspection certificate to them.

There's many ways that people pay for the annual tax without having their book on them. Even with cars/bike that's old enough to require inspection, you can renew the tax without having the blue/green book, Some might refinance their car to secure it against a loan and the finance company will hold on to the book, to renew, only a photocopy of the book is required. 

The tax disc/square in the window and receipt is what you have to show that you've paid. If a police stops you and ask for registration, most people will only have a photocopy of the first page of their green/blue book plus the tax disc on display.

Also It's better not to keep the green/blue book on the vehicle as if it were stolen, the title could change hand easier that way.

• Like 1

Another connected topic would be whether there is currently any direct link between renewing the yearly vehicle tax and chasing payment of outstanding traffic fines (speeding tickets). Asking for a friend.:smile: 

speeding tickets - no, many people ignore them, it's supposed to be automatic but the system hasn't happened yet

but tickets issued by a police in person might affect your ability to renew if the police manually ask for your registration to be 'on hold' until you've paid for the ticket

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/10/2018 at 4:57 PM, digbeth said:
On 6/10/2018 at 4:46 PM, johng said:

If paying at 7/11 how do they update the green/blue book ? I'm stating to think the updating tax page in the book is a bit redundant.

They don't, the book'll get updated only when you take it to them in person,

But paying online and via 7-11 is only for cars/bike not needing inspection, so by the time the 7th years, you'll need to get inspected and present the inspection certificate to them.

When does a vehicle need to be inspected? Bikes 5 year and car 7 year.

Is that older than 5 years for bikes or is it the 5th year of registration?

and Is that older than 7 years for cars or is it the 7th year of registration?

3 minutes ago, rickjza said:

Is that older than 5 years for bikes or is it the 5th year of registration?

Good question...answer is I don't know  how they count the 5/7 years  I would just take it to a place displaying the testing logo  and see what they say.  (test for a bike is only 60 baht)

post-2109-0-09307200-1357115893.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2018 at 3:34 PM, johng said:

So to be a bit clearer

Motorcycles over 3 years old and car/pickups over 7 years old have to go for an annual  "MOT"

or vehicle roadworthiness test at a licenced center displaying this logo, they issue a certificate

then  you obtain the compulsory government insurance called  "por ror bor"   if you want additional higher class  insurance  "up to you"  with those 2 documents + your green/blue book you can then go get the "Tax disc" if you don't have the documents they will refuse to issue Tax.   they update the  tax paid section of the vehicle book and print a "Tax disc" which you should display on your vehicle.

The vehicle testing centers can do all this running around for you for a small extra fee and a few days waiting....some feel like a little masochism now and again ! ?

PS  at the Big C south Pattaya where the mini DLT used to be there is now a booth selling compulsory government insurance "por ror bor"

the nice lady there told me about DLT the move.

Pity they did not have an insurance booth at central next to DLT.

23 hours ago, johng said:

Good question...answer is I don't know  how they count the 5/7 years  I would just take it to a place displaying the testing logo  and see what they say.  (test for a bike is only 60 baht)

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

In both cases after the period of 5 or 7 years ends.

So for motorbikes: before the registration for the 6th year.

For cars: before the registration for the 8th year.

My car was first registered (bought) in September 2011.

This year (2018) I had to do the first technical inspection to get the sticker until Sep. 2019 (2562). I went early as I will be traveling in Sep.

That’s what I thought, I have a Toyota that I first registered September 2012, when I picked up my CTP from my insurance agent I asked if an inspection was required, obviously they had no idea and just replied an incompetent YES.

I’m disappointed, have been using this agent in Pattaya since they opened,

I have 4 vehicles, house and condo insurance over the last 10 years, good business for them.

When I ask a question, btw an important question because haven’t had to do before they reply poorly.

I just got my new  green book and plates this morning.

and noticed ( first time I noticed  ? )  the 5 /7 year  requirements are printed on page 2

point : 2.2  the way I read it, it says

as soon as (from) 5 years from first registration (use) and onwards...

so start of the 5th year ?

220571661_green2-3.thumb.jpg.97217f39ee404290e6c15ee4a635b11a.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2018 at 4:42 AM, digbeth said:

it'll be printed at the bottom of the receipt that inspection certificate is required for next year's renewal too

You’re right mate, just paid my tax today at Central, it has been closed since Mother’s Day.

I had a look at my receipt and in Thai, it is telling me for next year’s registration an Inspection is necessary.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

DLT office in Central?

Is this in  Central Festival between Second road/Beach road?

If so, what floor is it on and when are they open?

It would certainly be better than the drive to the DLT building on route 36.

6 hours ago, eddi said:

DLT office in Central?

Is this in  Central Festival between Second road/Beach road?

If so, what floor is it on and when are they open?

It would certainly be better than the drive to the DLT building on route 36.

johng     6,239

johng
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Just a quick up date to inform everyone/anyone interested

that the mini DLT has moved from Big C

and is now on floor G Central Festival the Beach,  beach road side near Mcdonalds

open only Saturdays at 11am when central does and closes at 3pm ( ish)

P_20180609_111343.thumb.jpg.25b926d4dcbecf31288bbe24b65a76a7.jpg

Where is this insurance booth?
At Big C where the mini DLT used to be....maybe its only there Saturdays ?
...during the week (closed weekend)
you can get insurance from AA insurance office located in the row of shop houses next to Big C or go to one of the vehicle testing centers for the mandatory government insurance "por ror bor"

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's only useful if you know where it used to be?

it used to be at Big C south Pattaya/sukhumvit road   upstairs near the information counter  most Saturdays.

Edited by johng

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
28 minutes ago, VYCM said:
forget the insurance booth, go across the road to AA insurance, they will sort out your insurance.

Yes i bought my 1st class Insurance through them last year but i find their response to emails poor even for simple questions so I'd prefer to buy my insurance elsewhere

ok, understood.

there is another insurance company I had been using before AA, it looks like it has changed the name - Macallan Brokers.

They're located on Pattaya Tai between soi 2 & 4.

Edited by VYCM
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...