Four killed when train rammed into a pick-up truck on railway crossing

rooster59

Four killed when train rammed into a pick-up truck on railway crossing

2509001-wpcf_728x409.jpg

RATCHABURI: The driver of a pick-up truck and three passengers on board were killed when the vehicle was rammed by a train at a railway crossing in Ratchaburi province Saturday evening.

The four victims were identified as Pinan Kamnoi, driver of the pick-up, and three passengers, Mrs Sopha Kamnoi, Mrs Bang-on Changphuek and Sompong Duangthong.

The State Railway of Thailand later issued a statement expressing sorrow for the fatal accident which occurred at a railway crossing between Potharam and Jed Samian railway stations.

SRT governor Wutthichart Kalyanamit said that initial investigation showed that the driver did not stop the car at the railway crossing despite the warning sign as a train was approaching the crossing.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/four-killed-train-rammed-pick-truck-railway-crossing/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-25

Unfortunately, many Thai's buy their drivers licenses without passing an exam and missed the movie where it says stop

and look before crossing railroad tracks. Basically, this guy murdered his family because of his  incompetence. RIP to

the family!

36 minutes ago, tomwct said:

Unfortunately, many Thai's buy their drivers licenses without passing an exam and missed the movie where it says stop

and look before crossing railroad tracks. Basically, this guy murdered his family because of his  incompetence. RIP to

the family!

it is tragedy and the surprising thing is that no one noticed that the train was approaching.  he got his family killed rather than having murdered them.

26 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Stupidity weeds itself out; too bad for the passengers who might not have known they got into a car with a complete idiot.

they dont perceive themselves as idiots since they simply do not know any other way.

such easily avoidable tragedies are recurrent not only on roads but in waterways, seems they simply dont learn and perhaps never will.

Edited by atyclb

Seems to me that this all too frequent in Thailand though I must admit I don't know the statistics for this in other countries. However I did check one, for the USA (simply because it is much larger that Thailand). Apparently in 2015, the preliminary statics there for fatalities at railway crossings is 244 but I can't find similar stats for Thailand. Maybe some poster here has knowledge of these. Land area Thailand (apparently) is about 0.053 (about 1/19)  that of USA but what would really be needed is the number of level crossings for comparison. Personally, I find the Thai Buddhist idea that if it's your time to die , you will, rather 'overdone' and an excuse for many things. Obviously the driver in this case made the decision for his passengers too...total lack of responsibility.

The PM addressed this once quite a while back, I think the governors and various Amphurs were supposed to assess all the level crossings within their jurisdictions.   Some time passed and there was another rash of train/car/human accidents and the PM assigned the Ministry of Health to address the issue nation-wide. 

Suppose you can put up barriers, flashing lights and sirens, signs, and still.....some bright spark will disregard, or just get themselves into a bad spot.

3 hours ago, tomwct said:

the family!

And Thailand wants Highspeed Trains.

Any idea what a Highspeed train will do at 230KPH and worse yet what it will do to the Highspeed train, and worse than that, the PASSENGERS.

As a commercial pilot with 10,000 plus hours I have even stopped flying as a passenger.

Sure as hell you will not see me in a Thai Highspeed train.

4 hours ago, tomwct said:

the family!

You are right in general, but in this particular case it was pure and simple suicide. From the linked article:

"Quoting witnesses at the scene, the SRT governor said the pickup truck broke from a long queue of vehicles waiting at the crossing and dashed across the rail track as the Bangkok-Yala rapid train was fast approaching the railway crossing."

Or actually, suicide and murder.

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

The PM addressed this once quite a while back, I think the governors and various Amphurs were supposed to assess all the level crossings within their jurisdictions.   Some time passed and there was another rash of train/car/human accidents and the PM assigned the Ministry of Health to address the issue nation-wide. 

Suppose you can put up barriers, flashing lights and sirens, signs, and still.....some bright spark will disregard, or just get themselves into a bad spot.

sadly this isnt thai fool proof  as motorcyclists, and where possible cars and other vehicles, simply weave through the lowered barriers. with predicable consequences.

8 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Seems to me that this all too frequent in Thailand though I must admit I don't know the statistics for this in other countries. However I did check one, for the USA (simply because it is much larger that Thailand). Apparently in 2015, the preliminary statics there for fatalities at railway crossings is 244 but I can't find similar stats for Thailand. Maybe some poster here has knowledge of these. Land area Thailand (apparently) is about 0.053 (about 1/19)  that of USA but what would really be needed is the number of level crossings for comparison. Personally, I find the Thai Buddhist idea that if it's your time to die , you will, rather 'overdone' and an excuse for many things. Obviously the driver in this case made the decision for his passengers too...total lack of responsibility.

I must say that I find 244 fatalities staggering 

I know the USA is a large country with almost countless level crossings

I just wonder what these people think they are doing to put themselves in a position to lose their own and

others lives

On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Alwyn said:

wow... you couldn't make this stuff up could you. He failed to see (or acknowledge) the warning lights and a great big train which could only have been 30 meters away?? RIP to the passengers.

Happens in the UK often enough.

So much so Network Rail,have been forced to issue publicity campaigns,regarding crossing at unmanned level crossings. 

8 hours ago, Hedghog said:

So much so Network Rail,have been forced to issue publicity campaigns,regarding crossing at unmanned level crossings. 

If you must ignore barriers and flashing red lights you could at least have a little peep before you attempt to dash across

Of course if you choose not to then sooner or later the result will be death its inevitable, much the same as ignoring red flags when at the beach

The country where this happens does not really come into it for obvious reasons, stupid is stupid end of story

Of course if you are suggesting that SRT follow the lead of Network Rail in the UK with their own safety campaign I am with you on that

Wouldn't that be novel for Thailand

On 01/10/2016 at 10:42 AM, Hedghog said:

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/4817.aspx

Networkrails own figures report the number of collisions with vehicles at 10 or less every year for the last 5 years. Last year there was only 4.