is this normal with car insurance?

crickets

13 hours ago, RBOP said:

Had about 8 claims so far and I always book a slot and have them call me when to bring in my car. Letting a car sit on the lot doesn't make business sense as it takes up room. Now they might start working on it and then just do a little work every other day or waiting for parts too.

You must be right ! its famous that Thai know what they will do tomorrow ! 

So lucky you, you have found incredible Thai who can plan the future !

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In the past I have simply had Bumper Scratches or a Minor Dent fixed while I have been on holiday overseas... 

The Car has always been ready on my return. 

That said, recently I had a 'bumper scratch'... the garage said it would take a week to fix...  I wouldn't accept this and called in the supervisor, who then called in his supervisor !!!...   I turned out there was no decent reason that they needed the car for a week... It didn't need to sit there until they were ready...  The Garage did in the end call me up a few days later, I took the car in in the morning and picked it up in the evening... 

Some Garages simply run very unorganised systems and fail to take any 'customer' consideration into their planning. 

Others want the insurance to pay up front for the required parts before the parts are ordered... Terrible customer service. 

Paying an additional fee up front to expedite your repair seems spot on for Thailand... Where there is a way to make a little extra money on the side it's nearly always taken...  'The Thai' way... Thai's expect this behaviour and see it as the norm while we in the West generally see this behaviour as morally reprehensible. 

Any problem with you BM under BSI  ? It will sit at BM garage for weeks until they decide to have time to repair it !

12 hours ago, Grubster said:

I smashed my truck into a pole, My fault. I had no 1 insurance that paid for all minus half for tire and battery, fair enough. It took six months to fix at a very good body shop. In hindsight I should have offered them 10,000 baht to put me at the top of the list. I never said I was smart.

6 months ? They immediately guessed what kind of guy you are ?

12 hours ago, Pilotman said:

There seems to be little point in a forum subject like this unless the regulators of TV allow recommendations for insurance and other companies. I know it could be open to manipulation, a bit like comparison websites, but this kind of subject leaves people hanging . I'm just left with the question' who should I use to insure my car and under what terms. 

The best anyone can do is ask their insurance broker about how the insurers are performing when doing your annual insurance renewal shopping. If your broker is locally based and has a good customer base, they will have the best idea on what insurers are delivering the best service as well as the basic costs. A national insurance company may be giving excellent service in Samut Prakan and be absolutely dire in Chiang Rai. This being Thailand, there are insurance brokers and then there are insurance brokers. Your experience may vary.

3 hours ago, ericthai said:

really?  I never had an issue.  First one was simple the mirror was hit when parked, had to wait 2 days for the part, took it in one day picked up the next.  My wife had an accident on our car the trunk was pushed into the back seat only took 2 weeks to repair. 

OP look for another shop.

If I had a "simple the mirror was hit when parked", I would do what I would do in my home country and take care of it myself and not bother with the insurance company claim and subsequent loss of NCB. Repairs can also be done faster in the more rural, provincial centers versus big city or other higher density/claim areas. Your experience may vary.

I don't know which insurer you're with but I am with Honda and if their service in anything to go by, you are being touched.  I've had three claims, two where I've been at faut, well not at fault, gone to a shopping centre and come back to find my car bingled. No one to claim against as they had disappeared into the ether.

Another where the third party was at fault.  All claims lodged through the local Honda dealer, claim approved over the phone whilst I waited, and repairs finished within two weeks. :wai:

You probably think you are in the US of A or Europe.... In Thailand all they have to pay for is the repair of the vehicle (and of course medical expenses if injured) nothing else. Many years ago I took a 1st class insurance that included a replacement car. Had to go through many hoops to get a car, and even then, it was a very old car that actually belonged to the insurance company and was for employees' use. 

You have to make a distinction between the insurance payout and the drivers liability. Insurance will mostly not cover rental car, but drivers liability does. Always make sure there is a police report.

My car was rear ended a few years back. I took it to the nominated repair shop for bumper, boot lid and rear light repair. They had it for about two weeks, and all costs covered. OK job, but 1,500 additional km on the clock. Check your odometer!

I do have a question here

Why is the insurance company asking for money? I have been driving in Thailand for 25 years and yes, I've been rear-ended... You normally get a list of garages and take the car there yourself. The only time I can think of the insurance company asking for money is if the car is not drivable and the insurance company get it there

The described case could easily be legitimate, a normal "fast-track fee", I have been offered that service too in the past

Sounds to me like we farang all have the same problems, get good insurance, get bad service and no free rental.  I have had good luck with getting my car fixed here even though it took forever to get it back and the two accidents were less than fender benders.  Never knew the cost of the repairs as they did not give us a receipt only paperwork stating the work was done.  I bought a car recently and was ripped off for 1500 baht, the seller was geek and a con artist, lying to me about the rip off.  O well another day of life in LOS.

• 2 weeks later...

First, in case of they asked you to wait 6 months is normal if your car is imported car, or kinda old one so the supplier needs time to get spare parts. But if he asked for extra cash 8,000 THB then he is cheating you! What you have to do is report OIC (Office of Insurance Commission). OIC will investigate the insurance company and the company will investigate your insurance sales who tried to charge you 8k.