Government pleased that Bangkok named No.1 global destination city

webfact

Government pleased that Bangkok named No.1 global destination city

aa.jpg

BANGKOK, 26 September 2016 (NNT) - The government is pleased with the latest rankings, which puts Bangkok on the top of the list of the world’s most visited cities in 2016. 

Maj. Gen. Sunsern Kaewkumnerd, spokesman of the Prime Minister’s Office, said that the annual Mastercard Global Destinations Cities Index report has indicated that Bangkok is the top-ranked destination city by international overnight visitor arrivals, with 21.47 million arrivals projected for this year. 

According to the report, Maj. Gen. Sunsern said that Bangkok also has the advantage of its geographical location and its diversity in the areas of tourist destinations, merchandise, food, culture, entertainment and convenience in transportation. 

He said that Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-o-cha is happy to hear such good news while confirming the government's policy to further develop the quality of Thailand’s tourism in order to attract visitors who will spend more time and money in the country. 

The government spokesman said that the country is hoping to record total tourism revenue of 2.3 trillion baht this year while inviting all Thais to be good hosts when Thailand chairs the celebration of “2016 World Tourism Day" between September 26 and 29, with events scheduled to take place in Bangkok and Khon Kaen.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-09-26

international "OVERNIGHT" visitor arrivals, with 21.47 million arrivals projected for this year.

So these are people who are purely transiting through Thailand and not actually selecting Thailand as thier holiday destination.   Is TAT counting these people on a stopover as part of thier record breaking tourist numbers.

50 minutes ago, Thechook said:

international "OVERNIGHT" visitor arrivals, with 21.47 million arrivals projected for this year.

So these are people who are purely transiting through Thailand and not actually selecting Thailand as thier holiday destination.   Is TAT counting these people on a stopover as part of thier record breaking tourist numbers.

I would like to know where the numbers come from, if from AOT then it includes arrival and departures as well as demestic travellers, let's  face it Bangkok is not that attractive as a tourist destination.

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

I don't think they count anything, they just take their birthday date and multiply it by the prime factors of the wife's hairdressers telephone number.

Bingo - 21470000! That'll do!

1 hour ago, Thechook said:

From the report: "City level international overnight arrivals are those who actually stay in the destination city for at least one night. In other words we only count cases where the disembarkation city is also an overnight destination city. This is opposed to cases where the disembarkation city is merely a transit point while the destination city maybe some other city in the same country."

41 minutes ago, Rorri said:

I would like to know where the numbers come from, if from AOT then it includes arrival and departures as well as demestic travellers, let's  face it Bangkok is not that attractive as a tourist destination.

"The sources for city level overnight arrivals by foreign visitors are typically the National Statistics Boards of the relevant countries or their Tourism Boards."

We all know how TAT like to exaggerate, so the figures in the report are a projection based on official TAT figures - is it any wonder Bangkok came out on top?

I have looked at the methodology used by the report, sad I know, but having lived for a long time in both London and Bangkok, there is no way that Bangkok attracts more visitors than London. The report uses a lot of estimates and makes all sorts of dubious assumptions. I'm sure the Bangkok figure is boosted by the residents leaving and returning in order to use their double and triple entries visas. It would be interesting to see where Bangkok would end up on the list if, like the UK, Thailand gave tourists a six month no re-entry required visa.

2 hours ago, JAG said:

I don't think they count anything, they just take their birthday date and multiply it by the prime factors of the wife's hairdressers telephone number.

Bingo - 21470000! That'll do!

Deary dear. 

Must be wrong because all the highly knowledgeable and intelligent totally unbiased TVF posters said the coup would kill Thailand as a destination for visitors. 

And they're never wrong are they :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Congratulations on a 3rd post whinge. Its what we do on TVF, along with a good deal of criticism, censuring and castigating. 

Plus personal insults and character assassinations a specialty.

Let's be careful out there !    :biggrin:

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Deary dear. 

Must be wrong because all the highly knowledgeable and intelligent totally unbiased TVF posters said the coup would kill Thailand as a destination for visitors. 

And they're never wrong are they :rolleyes:

I sure have seen a massive decline in tourism, I'm ok with it though as I now rent the same hotel I rented in 2012 for 700 baht less. No problem here.