Seat design

AllanB

Need to to do a seat redesign, starting with my dirtbike. Just completed a 600km round trip with MrsB + a little luggage and my arris is still sore two weeks later.

2 things I think I need...

1. A flat seat, as having a slope causes "pinching".

2. A loose cover, as a tight cover kills much of the padding of the sponge.

Like to hear about other's experiences of what works and what doesn't.

OK forgive for saying but touring on a dirtbike you deserve a sore rear.  :biggrin:

My Versys seat is great but l still had it raised slightly at the front near tank.

Recovering guys are all over the place you could get yours re-shaped re-padded etc no sweat.

My wife's son and his GF (both early 20s) came with us on our Honda Wave and their butts suffered too. I guess if we did a lot of riding things would be better, but not so.

The dirt bike has great suspension, I can go over potholes that would have me hitting the tarmac on most bikes, so we are half way there. I sit upright on a bike that fits me, so no discomfort in my arms and legs, that leave only my rear end.

Can't see how having a smaller arse would help, the same weight on a smaller area would only make things worse, plus less padding (read fat).

I already had a new seat made, with looks fantastic, great craftsmanship with beautiful white stitching, but it is not comfortable.

Oh and I have a bigger bike with a sweet looking custom seat, same problem. Major Bumsore.

Edited by AllanB

2 hours ago, AllanB said:

My wife's son and his GF (both early 20s) came with us on our Honda Wave and their butts suffered too. I guess if we did a lot of riding things would be better, but not so.

4 adults on a Wave is too much.

The dirt bike has great suspension, I can go over potholes that would have me hitting the tarmac on most bikes, so we are half way there. I sit upright on a bike that fits me, so no discomfort in my arms and legs, that leave only my rear end.

Get up, stand up. Stand up when you ride.

Papa hates to repeat himself, but those mesh seat covers are the best.

And cheap.

Papa not thinking straight, we had a Lifan, the kids a Wave, besides 4 weighs much less that 1,000kg of bananas (the Honda Wave's payload design brief), probably!

"2 people standing up on a dirtbike" sounds like a circus act.

Do the covers stop the "pinching" actually they have started selling them here, may try one, if it don't fit/work we can use it on the Wave, or Fino.

Yes 55, I had mine custom made, to my design, but when they added the tight cover it made it firmer and on a long ride it was not the same. The old style bikes had flat seats and that seems to work better. The Wave is not a flat seat either.

Then go back and have them change it until it is the way you like it. Mine took 4 tries until I was satisfied. They welded additions onto the seat pan to make it wider - 2cm each side aprox, reshaped the foam each time, I rode it for a couple of days, asked for changes - which they did. When to my liking, cover. No excuse in this country to not have a perfect seat - unlike the west where the bill would be 1000 bucks - if they would even do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I once did around 15 kilometers on the back of a buddies dirtbike, and I had a sore butt. I had no choice as it was the quickest way back to my pickup truck as I needed some parts and tools to get my bike going again.

But AllanB probably means an road-legal enduro bike, like a Honda CRF250L or Kawasaki KLX250, which are more dirtbikes STYLED motorcycles...

One word......gel.

You can get seat gel on ebay then get a seat guy to slip it in, works wonders. Relatively cheap too. 1/2-3/4 inch and your butt will be happier.

And those mesh seat covers do stop pinching and they feel like aircon for your ass, have one on my Versys and one on my KLX.