Police stop this morning

garryjohns

23 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Right. So basically, you DID have to have proof of ownership with you that you could show. And NOT showing it at the traffic stop caused a ticket to be issued...  They just weren't as rigid in the timing before issuing a fine. As I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

OMG how desperate are you getting..you totally mis interpretted this post for your own agenda [again]

From UK info site;   Regarding paperwork, it can be useful to carry:

• A copy of your vehicle’s V5C registration document (never leave the original in the vehicle unattended, it is too valuable to thieves)
  • Your driving licence
  • Your Certificate of Insurance

However, you are not legally required to carry these – if the police ask to see them and you don’t have them, you will be required to produce them at a police station within a certain number of days. The same applies if you are involved in an accident ..:rolleyes:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, garryjohns said:

OMG how desperate are you getting..you totally mis interpretted this post for your own agenda [again]

From UK info site;   Regarding paperwork, it can be useful to carry:

• A copy of your vehicle’s V5C registration document (never leave the original in the vehicle unattended, it is too valuable to thieves)
  • Your driving licence
  • Your Certificate of Insurance

However, you are not legally required to carry these – if the police ask to see them and you don’t have them, you will be required to produce them at a police station within a certain number of days. The same applies if you are involved in an accident ..:rolleyes:

Almost identical laws in Australia....

Learn how  to say in Thai.."No, get on the back of my motor bike and we go together to the police station.  NOW."

In most situations we are guilty of some Thai law infraction.  Agree to pay at the police station.....you may have just saved money.

In the 'old days 'Khon Fallang  had a 'pass''  .  Now we have these white skinned male  'pussies' who have become disrespected by Thai men .

Police or other men only respect you, if you act like a man. Not ignorant....be firm with an upward wai , but be irrefutably firm.

The old fellows have survived this way....';-)

The odd things is you also earn respect in your district......for next time.     ....Ken

20 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I don't know what is the norm in other countries, but in the US the first things asked for in a vehicle stop are "License, registration, and proof of insurance please." If you are lacking ANY one of those, you get a ticket, and often loss of use of your vehicle until you produce the required documents.  I can't understand anyone thinking they don't need proof of ownership. It's not just Thai law. It's universal.

I've been asked for the registration book twice at road blocks, and in both instances a photocopy was all that was needed. I keep it under the seat as usually all they ask me for is my license. They may 'ask' for the book or your passport, but usually accept a photocopy of either... unless you are busting their chops... Then you're going to need the actual books. They have all day..... 

In the U.S. you have a 'title'' issued for the vehicle which would be the equivalent of the Green/Blue Book.  You are not expected to carry the title as that is what is needed to ultimately prove ownership or for transfer of ownership as is the blue book here.  The ''registration'' is a seperate document from the title and in most states goes with the license plate.  The closest thing here to a registration  I guess is the road tax sticker.  So what you say is asked for when stopped in the U.S. is correct, but it is not the key document for ownership or transfer of the vehicle.  It is not wise to have the Blue Book in your vehicle. But, it is the law and a copy generally is acceptable and advised. 

Edited by silverhawk_usa
typos

3 minutes ago, silverhawk_usa said:

....  So what you say is asked for when stopped in the U.S. is correct, but it is not the key document for ownership or transfer of the vehicle.  It is not wise to have the Blue Book in your vehicle. But, it is the law and a copy generally is acceptable and advised. 

... and THAT is the bottom line. As I said before, a copy is all you need, but you DO need it from time to time.   :)

1 hour ago, garryjohns said:

I recommend that you do NOT carry your documents with you when driving. And argue your point with the police. They like that.  Show them who is boss....  :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

I have PDF copies on my smart phone, do you think that will be OK?

Sent from my mobile, please forgive the autocorrect.

That may be a huge technology jump for the BIB.  I wouldn't risk it. 

42 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

I recommend that you do NOT carry your documents with you when driving. And argue your point with the police. They like that.  Show them who is boss....  :rolleyes:

Bizarre..you asked "Can someone please tell me which country does NOT require vehicle registration to be carried when the vehicle is in use? '

You have been given info in reply to your question that suggests that probably NO developed countries have this requirement.

I can't help if you can;t see that info.,

In these countries, you do not need to argue the point or show who is boss..it is the law that gives you the choice of either carrying at all times or producing later..no penalty, no drama

However , here in backwater Thailand you apparently do have to, so i will do all things as required by law here , now also including the very infrequently requested 'vehicle registration info.

I never argue my point with police anywhere.

PS;

Generally I only argue with some particular fat obnoxious point scorers  and as i have yet to meet a policeman here that's meets that criteria i simply give him as requested, pay a fine if i don't have what is asked, wish them a very happy day and off i go..so easy.

Edited by garryjohns

Yes, for sure ..both shocking and devastating...Yawn..

anyway the gist of the matter was here;

"was wanting the bikes book, which is not with me..told me i have to carry it on motorcycle.[Never asked for it before, so i don't know if it is an offence or not] "

Thanks to other ,far more intelligent posters i now know that it is law to carry it.

PS bill..you probably also missed where instead of the usual TV police threads ''picking on farang'' and "cash payments=corruption" type shit..i made a point of saying i got a receipt and that Thais were also given the exact same treatment, and I had no complaints at all about the whole occurrence..got it? :rolleyes:

Got it the first time, had a copy of my registration under my seat 30 years ago.

I was stopped on my small bike and my registration was 14 days out of date (I was, really, going to go the next day to have it done) and was stopped there. First the guy said the fine was 500 baht and then when the first few words of Thai came out of my mouth, he said 200 baht and come to the desk. I reached for my wallet and started to pull out the money there and he animatedly said no, come to the desk. 

After I paid I told him I thought this was a bit uncool, and then got the classic line from him. He smiled and in an insider sort of tone said: "Don't come down this road again." 

19 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Can someone please tell me which country does NOT require vehicle registration to be carried when the vehicle is in use?

The Uk alows you 5 days to produce the documents at a designated Police Station. Even this is obsolescent since all details are held on the DVLA computer to which Police have unlimited access

1 hour ago, Maybole said:

The Uk alows you 5 days to produce the documents at a designated Police Station. Even this is obsolescent since all details are held on the DVLA computer to which Police have unlimited access

Yes , another confirmation that there are probably few, if any developed countries that do the same old methods as Thailand.

Unfortunately this is not what fg wants to hear. :passifier:

22 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Right. So basically, you DID have to have proof of ownership with you that you could show. And NOT showing it at the traffic stop caused a ticket to be issued...  They just weren't as rigid in the timing before issuing a fine. As I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.

In the UK there is never a need to carry a registration document, and the police hardly ever request that document to be produced at a later time, in the UK there has never been a requirement to carry any documents for a vehicle or proof of ID, all road tax and insurance details are held on computer, and lack of shows on ANPR camera. please do try and prove an earlier post by twisting other posts

Edited by steve187

12 minutes ago, steve187 said:

In the UK there is never a need to carry a registration document, and the police never request that document to be produced at a later time, in the UK there has never been a requirement to carry any documents for a vehicle or proof of ID, all road tax and insurance details are held on computer, and lack of shows on ANPR camera. please do try and prove an earlier post by twisting other posts

Thank you.

Edited by FolkGuitar

On 9/27/2016 at 10:27 AM, Teak said:

Learn how  to say in Thai.."No, get on the back of my motor bike and we go together to the police station.  NOW."

In most situations we are guilty of some Thai law infraction.  Agree to pay at the police station.....you may have just saved money.

In the 'old days 'Khon Fallang  had a 'pass''  .  Now we have these white skinned male  'pussies' who have become disrespected by Thai men .

Police or other men only respect you, if you act like a man. Not ignorant....be firm with an upward wai , but be irrefutably firm.

The old fellows have survived this way....';-)

The odd things is you also earn respect in your district......for next time.     ....Ken

Hi Teak,

So, what about us ladies?  Will this work for us too or do only white men (who aren't pussies) have this status?

Do we have to drive a motorbike?  Or will it also work if we tell them to "get in our car NOW"?

What happens if we ride a horse with a big cowboy hat on, any special status given there?

20 hours ago, Jdiddy said:

I sidestep all this nonsense by not wearing a helmet. That way they can immediately identify what they are going to use as a device to extort some cash out of me and i can quickly be on my way

Not everyone chooses the possibility of brain damage over the inconvenience of producing a few papers, but then again there's a good chance that those that do may not have much of a brain to start with!

I have always kept a copy of my green book in the seat of the scooter, like many. No one ever told me to, but it seems logical that if you want to prove ownership of the vehicle you are driving you need to carry something. The OP now knows.

To those that like to point out that in AUS or UK you don't need to carry the proof of registration in your vehicle, fine, but you are playing with words. The bottom line is that also there you need to have proof of registration. I don't know what is the big hassle of having a copy with you. Personally I would find that having to go to a police station within a time limit is a bigger burden than paying 200B on the spot.

To those that bash the road police and their bias against farangs: the OP said that all were being stopped. Frankly, I have had maybe one, max two road checks per year since I drive in Chiang Mai and I have always found them decent. Try for a moment to imagine yourselves in their boots, living with their salary, working under sun and rain. Sure the helmet checks are a joke, but in the end it's their skull not mine.

Try for a moment to imagine yourselves in their boots, living with their salary, working under sun and rain.

Are you referring to postmen too? Good thing they don't feel the same way and start shaking us down for successful mail delivery. 

The problem with these stops is that they are sporadic and more like shooting fish in a barrel than actually enforcing the law. 

Have you ever seen any law enforcement officer -- not at a pull-over point -- stop a motorist for a moving violation? Ever? 

Have you ever seen a policeman on his motorbike pull over a motorist for not wearing a helmet? Ever? 

I've seen police on the road without a helmet, and even on motorbikes that were not registered. 

If you want to be fair, enforce the law wherever you see it broken, not just in the couple of stationary "shake-down kill zones." 

1 hour ago, Trujillo said:

Are you referring to postmen too? Good thing they don't feel the same way and start shaking us down for successful mail delivery. 

The problem with these stops is that they are sporadic and more like shooting fish in a barrel than actually enforcing the law. 

Have you ever seen any law enforcement officer -- not at a pull-over point -- stop a motorist for a moving violation? Ever? 

Have you ever seen a policeman on his motorbike pull over a motorist for not wearing a helmet? Ever? 

I've seen police on the road without a helmet, and even on motorbikes that were not registered. 

If you want to be fair, enforce the law wherever you see it broken, not just in the couple of stationary "shake-down kill zones." 

Spot on .

2 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Yes. There is a radar trap in place frequently on Rt.11. I've seen several cars pulled over for speeding along that stretch of road.

Edited by FolkGuitar

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

Yes. There is a radar trap in place frequently on Rt.11. I've seen several cars pulled over for speeding along that stretch of road.

I think thats not quite what Trujio meant - a Radar Trap is pretty much like a fixed check point... 

A Radar Trap is a Pre-organised 'sting'...  

....rather than riding / or driving around and enforcing the law (i.e. motorcyclists with no helmet, or pulling over uncovered loaded pickups on the express way etc) the Radar Trap is stationary and doesn't require a whole lot of dynamic or critical thought from the BiB... 

... I have never seen the BiB pull over any vehicle thats not at a specified Check Point (or Radar Trap) - i.e. I have never seen the BiB act independently or proactively on the roads unless at a Check Point.

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think thats not quite what Trujio meant - a Radar Trap is pretty much like a fixed check point... 

A Radar Trap is a Pre-organised 'sting'...  

....rather than riding / or driving around and enforcing the law (i.e. motorcyclists with no helmet, or pulling over uncovered loaded pickups on the express way etc) the Radar Trap is stationary and doesn't require a whole lot of dynamic or critical thought from the BiB... 

... I have never seen the BiB pull over any vehicle thats not at a specified Check Point (or Radar Trap) - i.e. I have never seen the BiB act independently or proactively on the roads unless at a Check Point.

I'm sorry... I wasn't clear enough in my post. The one's I've seen have been police cars with radar guns, not fixed set-ups. Just pulled over on the shoulder of the road with their gun out the window.

I've also seen a motorcycle (full sized) cop in town, pulling over motor scooter riders. I don't know what the infractions have been when I've seen that, just the two bikes pulled over, the cop's bike lights flashing, and the riders looking contrite.  I admit that I have never seen a motor-scooter riding cop pulling over another rider though. And yet we should see that often!

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

I'm sorry... I wasn't clear enough in my post. The one's I've seen have been police cars with radar guns, not fixed set-ups. Just pulled over on the shoulder of the road with their gun out the window.

I've also seen a motorcycle (full sized) cop in town, pulling over motor scooter riders. I don't know what the infractions have been when I've seen that, just the two bikes pulled over, the cop's bike lights flashing, and the riders looking contrite.  I admit that I have never seen a motor-scooter riding cop pulling over another rider though. And yet we should see that often!

Actually - you just triggered a memory !!...  I have seen the BiB pull over a Van (I was in it !!).

Coming in from the Airport in an AOT Van, with Wife and Son, lots of luggage...  A Police Officer on a large capacity bike waved for the AOT Van to pull over (from the outside, right most lane)....

We waited on the side for what felt like an eternity in a very precarious position... I was absolutely furious - The Police Officer had placed us in an extremely dangerous situation, stationary on the side of the road with Lorry's passing us at 80 km within inches... 

The reason: Apparently the AOT Van (with green plates) was not permitted in the outside lane !!! (I've never heard of such a regulation) - the AOT Driver ended up paying 100 baht to the Police Officer... 

If I was quicker to react I would have instructed the Van to take the next exit off the Expressway.