How loyal are you to Thailand ?

autanic

This is a simple question really.   How loyal are you to Thailand ?

I am not that loyal at all.  

1) I am not a Thai Citizen.

2) I do not live in Thailand all year round.

3) I have no property here.

4) I enjoy the Country and the People

5) I am not a fan of the politics

Thailand is described as having one of the largest countries in the world for having a Vulnerable Workforce. It relies heavily on exports and around 80% Household to GDP, with a highly indebted workforce.

If there were a serious economic crisis in Thailand, things would deteriorate very quickly.

Could you or would you, just pack up and leave or is your fate intertwined with the fate of the Thais.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been here for 34 years, and would only consider leaving if my quality of life dropped to a level I couldn't accept. That isn't likely to happen in my lifetime, so I guess I'm here until the end.

Edited by geronimo

I could leave on the next available flight.

Would do so if I thought it necessary.

Doubt it will come to that though.

So will leave when I am ready.

I have no Loyalty to Thailand,I came for a visit ten or so years ago and am still here.

No ties,encumbrances.

1 hour ago, geronimo said:

I have been here for 34 years, and would only consider leaving if my quality of life dropped to a level I couldn't accept. That isn't likely to happen in my lifetime, so I guess I'm here until the end.

'

Dude, a real "nice quotation."   Keep them coming.............

Edited by lostinisaan

"If there were a serious economic crisis in Thailand, things would deteriorate very quickly.

Could you or would you, just pack up and leave or is your fate intertwined with the fate of the Thais"

Cant see how a crisis would effect me, can you elaborate?

Im not loyal but short of a civil war Im not leaving to go and live in a bland  boring and sterile western city where Im no longer Hansum man :thumbsup:

"Loyal" isn't the correct word to use here. I think very few people LIVE, even in their own country, from a loyalty perspective. They are more likely to live and stay somewhere from commitment and personal circumstances, as seems to be the case from the responses so far.

You need to get your facts straight:

Firstly, Thailand consumer debt to GDP ratio is not dangerously high at 71%, it's no worse than malaysia and far better than many Western countries

http://www.theglobaleconomy.com/rankings/household_debt_gdp/

Secondly, whilst Thailand's is an exporting country its workforce relies on agriculture as a fall back hence it is not as vulnerable as you might think. And with tourism accounting for at least 14% of direct GDP there's more than one substantial string to the Thai economic bow.

Thirdly, foreign debt is very low yet foreign currency reserves are very high, much higher than most countries, a downturn therefore in one economic area does not spell doom and gloom.

Finally, I really don't understand what you mean when you write that things would deteriorate very rapidly in the event of a serious economic crisis. I don't know what you imagine but the reality is the population would adapt and revert to agriculture and capitalise on other threads of the economy This is not the US where violence erupts in every city and preppers take to the hills to await Armageddon!

Thailand has been very good to me since I made the big move in 1985. 

After being here so long and raising 4 half cast kids , it's nearly time for me to search  for some more excitement in my life.

The world is a big place and when I retire, I want to see it. 

Although applying to be a naturalized citizen, part of me is always reminded that I am never accepted here and often disrespected due to my skin colour..

I little bothy in the Scottish highlands sounds nice to me for 6 months a year.

Loyal, like others have said, is a difficult thing to grasp. This place has so much going for it but it is too scared to share and learn and will never get rid of corruption. Shame, would love to have said "become a citizen and as happy as can be".

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

You need to get your facts straight:

Firstly, Thailand consumer debt to GDP ratio is not dangerously high at 71%, it's no worse than malaysia and far better than many Western countries

http://www.theglobaleconomy.com/rankings/household_debt_gdp/

Secondly, whilst Thailand's is an exporting country its workforce relies on agriculture as a fall back hence it is not as vulnerable as you might think. And with tourism accounting for at least 14% of direct GDP there's more than one substantial string to the Thai economic bow.

Thirdly, foreign debt is very low yet foreign currency reserves are very high, much higher than most countries, a downturn therefore in one economic area does not spell doom and gloom.

Finally, I really don't understand what you mean when you write that things would deteriorate very rapidly in the event of a serious economic crisis. I don't know what you imagine but the reality is the population would adapt and revert to agriculture and capitalise on other threads of the economy This is not the US where violence erupts in every city and preppers take to the hills to await Armageddon!

I don't know if I have read a post by chiang mai that has not been to dispute something and add data. I just wonder are you a prof at the university teaching this stuff? The figures indicate all is well you say but just because the 71% is no worse than Malaysia and better than many western countries do not make it right to me, based on the "2 wrongs don't make a right".

I also observe, with no data to back it up that many Thais do not want to work in the fields and that in my mind may be a threat to the economy.

It is good to read (or is it) that tourism has increased to 14% of GDP, 10 years ago I think it was half of that yet I recall the streets and markets full of tourists unlike today where I come across much less.

2 minutes ago, AsianExport said:

Not loyal and no respect to anyone here.

I could live anywhere and will do if I suddenly decide.

People work for me in so many countries, so it's so easy to relocate anywhere where I won't pay any tax also.

Be true to yourself and leave then.

Wow, no respect to anyone in whole country.

3 minutes ago, alant said:

I don't know if I have read a post by chiang mai that has not been to dispute something and add data. I just wonder are you a prof at the university teaching this stuff? The figures indicate all is well you say but just because the 71% is no worse than Malaysia and better than many western countries do not make it right to me, based on the "2 wrongs don't make a right".

I also observe, with no data to back it up that many Thais do not want to work in the fields and that in my mind may be a threat to the economy.

It is good to read (or is it) that tourism has increased to 14% of GDP, 10 years ago I think it was half of that yet I recall the streets and markets full of tourists unlike today where I come across much less.

One of the more popular way to inflate a sagging economy is for government to encourage a consumer led spending boom which invariably involves credit lending, the UK is a classic example in that respect, Thailand has merely copied the idea. Whether or not it is morally correct is down to the individual.

As for Thai's not wanting to return to the fields: ultimately they will/do because there is no social security system to fall back on hence it's a case of needs must and from experience, that's what they do. The alternative to that of course is to lease their land to others but the effect is the same, income derived from agriculture.

52 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

I am loyal to my Thai family. 

Would I leave if things got bad. Only if I could take my family as well otherwise no.

Serious economic downturn been there seen that and rode them all out in so called 1st world countries.

Yep, that about says it for me too.....