Court rejects Thaksin’s demand for the return of his Thai passports

snoop1130

14 hours ago, halloween said:

The BP refers to his "two regular Thai passports". Why two?

I am sure that all retired PM's in Thailand are issued with a diplomatic passport as well as a normal passport as a matter of custom.

However AFAIK the diplomatic passport can be withdrawn as can the normal passport as they are the property of the government and not of the individual.

I have done a search on Google to find out if Thai convicted criminal can hold a Thai passport but the only links I found are about visitors coming to Thailand.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, silent said:

Do you think he doesn't think if he returned he.'d probably end up facing a transparent investigation and hang himself? Although many think that would just be something like karma and I know none of us here suffer from infectious greed it's all beginning to be reminiscent of Hillary's remark at the great debate and Donny admitted he could blame her for everything wrong in the great US of A's

Could you please try to write that again in English as I am not sure what you are talking about?

What has Hilary, Donny? and the USA have to do with Thaksin's passports?

18 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

So he'll be using the Montenegrin one then. 

Kind of reminds me of one those spy stories where the spy opens the drawer and pulls out a fistful of passports and sorts through them. I think Thaksin is just poking the hornets nest to see their reaction. He obviously knew in advance what the ruling would be. 

1 minute ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Of course he says that now that the balance of power has shifted.

Yet you are trying to get us to take the word of a man that cannot obviously be trusted, and allowed an alleged criminal to take office, contrary to laws and regulations? Now we are meant to trust his word? 

Odd.

There are varying degrees of mistrust. Pick one. 

Just now, Father Fintan Stack said:

He has money and no recognised criminal convictions so he can pretty much go where he pleases, Thai passport or no.

The obsessives on here hate it.

Maybe its the envy class. The elite here definitely want to stamp out any and all legacy references to the Shins and to shore up any chance of their political return. I vaguely remember another country doing this to a out of favor leader. I leave you with the following quote. 

Nelson Mandela quotes: 'Real leaders must be ready to sacrifice all for the freedom of their people'

22 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Still free to travel anywhere he wants on that passport as his 'convictions' are regarded as politically motivated.

Unlike Prayuth and the other generals, who have travel bans from several countries, including Australia.

Wrong. His convictions aren't questioned because Thailand has never filed the appropriate paper work to have him listed by Interpol nor have they tried to extradite him.

As a multi billionaire with his own private jet the rules on travel our a little different from us plebs. As a billionaire mate of Carlisle and Wall St. the US Obama regime had no problem giving him a visa. Still, to be fair yank criminals get Thai visas too.

That bastion of two faced Australia imposed a ban on the Junta and their families going to their country (whilst of course sending diplomats and trade delegations here to do business with them) but  you say "several countries". Could you name the others please?

22 hours ago, billd766 said:

I see you managed to "forget" the dozen or so outstanding charges waiting for his return which are far more serious and NONE of the charges were politically motivated including the one he ran away from.

Ah you mean like the Krungthai bank fraud where other co-defendants have been found guilty and received lengthy prison sentences.

That could get him 18 years so he won't be back without a blanket amnesty or until SoL runs out.

But some do like to believe him when he says he's never done anything wrong, never ever in his whole life; nor as his sweet little sister or any other sibling, in-law or close crony.

Other nations believe the charges to be politically motivated, including the one he lives in at the moment, and that's what is important here.

You seem to "forget" not a single country will extradite him back to Thailand to face justice because he was removed in a military coup, and other countries regard the junta as illegitimate. 

Your obsessive opinions on the man don't matter.

Wrong again. No one has been asked to extradite him - so no one has refused. He was warned by the Abu Dhabi ruling family to keep his political activities in the UAE low key. He's there by approval of the Dubai ruler who does what the Abu Dhabi lot tell him as they hold the purse strings. So donations from the odd billionaire are always grateful.

Your Shin loyalty, for whatever reasons is your business, but very transparent.

19 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

The junta need a bit of positive PR at the moment.

It ain't looking good for them with the current corruption scandal involving the PM's brother and nephew. Dear oh dearie me.

Perhaps they need to hire someone like ol' Bob Amsterdam to polish their international image?

As Bob Amsterdam found out, you can polish a turd all you like, but it's still a turd. 

Still, he know doubt was well paid for all that polishing.

19 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

I am not convinced of his innocence but that is neither here nor there because other nations don't care what you or I believe. 

The fact that they enacted a coup against him when he was out of the country is justification enough for them to believe the subsequent charges were politically motivated.

Guess you weren't here then. He dissolved parliament and became the caretaker PM. He then resigned this position and a new caretaker PM was duly appointed. Some time later Thaksin decided he wanted that role back and simply took over, on no ones authority but his own. He was then delaying and procrastinating about an election. After a while he was removed whilst away.

Despite the fact that his well paid lobbyists and PR people continuously harp on about Thaksin first and then his puppet Yingluck both being removed by a coup, neither in fact were.

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Wrong. His convictions aren't questioned because Thailand has never filed the appropriate paper work to have him listed by Interpol nor have they tried to extradite him.

As a multi billionaire with his own private jet the rules on travel our a little different from us plebs. As a billionaire mate of Carlisle and Wall St. the US Obama regime had no problem giving him a visa. Still, to be fair yank criminals get Thai visas too.

That bastion of two faced Australia imposed a ban on the Junta and their families going to their country (whilst of course sending diplomats and trade delegations here to do business with them) but  you say "several countries". Could you name the others please?

I would not let this JUNTA in either. Yes Australia do not recognize terrorists and dictators. He can play his TV tribute show as long as he likes. He was not elected by the people of Thailand. And if he goes to election he will loose. No he won't all is a farce and rigged. Just like the draft lol. Joke..

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 6:12 PM, Basil B said:

Could they not issue an "Emergency Travel Document" so he could attend the court hearing in person? :whistling:

correct, easy to issue from a Thai Embassy for a one -way trip.

Edited by Artisi

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 6:39 PM, Father Fintan Stack said:

Other nations believe the charges to be politically motivated, including the one he lives in at the moment, and that's what is important here.

You seem to "forget" not a single country will extradite him back to Thailand to face justice because he was removed in a military coup, and other countries regard the junta as illegitimate. 

Your obsessive opinions on the man don't matter.

Fact check, there was he removed from?

I am not convinced of his innocence but that is neither here nor there because other nations don't care what you or I believe. 

The fact that they enacted a coup against him when he was out of the country is justification enough for them to believe the subsequent charges were politically motivated.

Fact check again, when he was out of the country he wasn't PM only interim PM as the parliament had been terminated pending elections - so the coup wasn't against him. 

17 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

He did not return because he no doubt was concerned about being tried and convicted in a police state that overthrew him in a military coup, and any sort of proper trial was very unlikely.  I am not backing the man, I am just saying I can understand why he would not return. Frankly I was surprised he made the one visit back after the coup

Facts please, he wasn't overthrown by a military coup.

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

You know fine well not a single government or even Interpol will listen to extradition requests from a military junta.

And I suppose that you do know and can quote chapter and verse.

Please quote the exact ruling specifying what you have said, and then I will believe you, but until you do so I rarely believe a word you say.

10 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

with the right amount of money i am sure some one in the passport office would make you up a new one. it is just a matter of cost. wonder if he still hold his police rank. remember the current 'government' was having a hard time taking it off him.

I have read previously he signed "every" document,with his police Title and Name, I believe that is why he is

idolised by the BIB, he held the common man touch to heart, but boy o boy he was one Crook of the highest

order,but he generated a great deal of good things as well.

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 0:37 AM, halloween said:
On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 0:37 AM, halloween said:

A great job on nitpicking the opinion paragraph at the end of the post. Any problems with the statements about his court cases, apart from their being inconveniently accurate?

Plagiarising is not nitpicking its a fact. Best to acknowledge where your material comes from. So what do you think Halloween?

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 1:22 AM, jamesbrock said:

I apologise that I didn't make it clear enough that the passage was courtesy of another party, and for not making the quotation marks (which encapsulated the list and last paragraph) or link to the source more noticeable. As for "speak for Thais as a whole" best take that up with the thai authors of the petition.

Of course it's not much better at all now, if not worse, but the subject of the topic is Thaksin. When the subject is the current mob, I'll comment on them then.

James, so he gets the passports? what comes next. Apart from all the "charges" his precence would be a game changer.:stoner:

6 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

James, so he gets the passports? what comes next. Apart from all the "charges" his presence would be a game changer.:stoner:

I really don't know what his play is, why he needs his passports back. Surely whatever he wants to do can be done with one of the six passports he purportedly carries?

His return/presence would certainly be a game changer, but for that to happen the game would already have had changed.

9 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Plagiarising is not nitpicking its a fact. Best to acknowledge where your material comes from. So what do you think Halloween?

Plagiarising??

• I introduced the passage with "This brief reminder is courtesy of a petition to World Policy Institute by Network of Thais Overseas on Change.org"
  • I enclosed the entire passage in quotation marks.
  • I included a link to the source.

What, didn't I use the appropriate Harvard Referencing style?

Thaksin's demand for his Thai passports is a marker that he hasn't gone away, shouldn't be forgotten and a signal to his supporters to continue supporting him. If we recall correctly the last time Thaksin made such a request a government minister personally couriered the passport to Thaksin. Its not going to happen this time.

1 hour ago, jamesbrock said:

Plagiarising??

• I introduced the passage with "This brief reminder is courtesy of a petition to World Policy Institute by Network of Thais Overseas on Change.org"
  • I enclosed the entire passage in quotation marks.
  • I included a link to the source.

What, didn't I use the appropriate Harvard Referencing style?

No but you would be marked down if submitting this as a paper. You weren't clear, that's the point.

6 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

No but you would be marked down if submitting this as a paper. You weren't clear, that's the point.

It was quite clear where the material came from, and the presentation was fine for an internet forum with a clear link.

What do I think? You're still nitpicking a great post.