Service charge collection now must be clearly shown

webfact

Service charge collection now must be clearly shown

280901-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Department of Internal Trade says it will summon a meeting with the Thai Restaurant Association to discuss the issue of service charge collection in its move to mandate all restaurants to display service charge on their menus.

Somsak Kiattichailak, the director-general of the Department of Internal Trade stated yesterday that the meeting is aimed at ordering all restaurants to put up clear signs indicating the amount of service charges that will be billed to their clientele on top of charges for foods and drinks.

This is to ensure fairness for customers and in future diners will be able to refuse to pay service charges if any restaurant fails to comply with this requirement, he said.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/service-charge-collection-now-must-clearly-shown/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-28

As a shareholder in a number of Brewery/Restaurant chains, last year I saw a big drop in the share values after the government announced the introduction of the "Living Wage".

My thoughts on this is for all Restaurants to display the following:

We pay all our staff in excess of the "Living Wage" and our prices take account of this.

We do not add a service charge or expect patrons to tip.

But if patrons feel they have received exceptional service and wish to tip these will be most welcome.

Tips can be accepted in two ways by payment to the staff member waiting on table or using the tip box by the door where tips will be shared equally between all table and kitchen staff. 

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

To me prices should be fully inclusive and clearly displayed...

Tips should be for exceptional service ...not the norm.

5 % is nothing to pay; for someone to do everything for you.

If u not like to pay. cook your own food.

Most of the abuse in this area and to business owners comes in the tourist areas. I suggest that those districts be taken over by a all-female police force. Sorry but they should pull all the male  officers. I just think women are less likely to put up with abuse and corruption and in these these districts it's out of control. Slightly off topic but these ideas work great if the police make the business owners comply. I trust female cops much more for the enforcement and addressing of complaints. Just the tourist areas and popular or larger businesses and attractions outside of those areas should be given special monitoring.

2 hours ago, bark said:

Yes, it is something.  It is an extra 5% that the customer is forced to pay on top of the charge for the cooking and serving that has already been incorporated into every restaurants menu.

2 hours ago, bark said:

No, I am saying if you are to cheap to pay 5 %, stay home. A real tip is 15 %

This is not about a service charge of 5% being ok'd by the authorities (and being 10 points less than you consider adequate), that picture is just a stock photo illustrating the OP and means nothing. 

And you consider 15% a "real tip"?  Wow, last of the big spenders, eh?

3 hours ago, bark said:

They get paid to do the job,,,, Why an extra charge? Why not pay the price ,,,charge included ,,,problem sorted,,

2 hours ago, Tallagada said:

Service charge is not all the time given back to waiters.

As one thai lawyer stated to a friend : service charged can be pocketted by owner, used to pay overtime and other compensation... 

Lets just say pocketed by the owner...

It is only done to hide the true cost of a meal before the patron gets the bill.

It is unfair to honest restaurant owners who include their true costs in the pricing.

1 hour ago, Doc46 said:

They get paid to do the job,,,, Why an extra charge? Why not pay the price ,,,charge included ,,,problem sorted,,

Its an American thing.. don't worry about it. 

I only tip if the service was good.. wages and stuff should be in the prices like in the rest of the civilized world. Its not our problem that they exploit people in the restaurant trade in the US and expect the clients to pay for their wage. 

56 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

You've obviously never worked for tips. 

Why would I...

I do a job, I get paid what is agreed, in the UK we have a minimum wage, now the catering industry is waking up to paying more than the minimum wage, it is called the living wage. yes as a self employed person who gives good service often will do more than the job I am paid to do, often turning out at all hours I some times get a tip, I never solicit one or even expect one but it is nice for exceptional service.

The only people who work for tips in the UK work under the radar of immigration and jump out at traffic lights spray dirty water on your windscreen and squeegee it of and hold their hands out expecting a couple of quid. 

When I was younger I was a bartender and strived at giving the customers the best service I could so they would tip me, but if they didn't the next time they came in I would try extra hard to LOOSEN some change from their pockets. The thing is not everyone well tip and for me I understand that some people just don't I was ok with that because their were more customer that did compared to the one's that didn't but other fellow workers just hated that and would actually chase the customer down and confront them on why they didn't tip. To me a lot of the time it was my follow worker who just expected a tip and gave shitty service thinking the customer would or should tip anyways !!  I'm a firm believer in if you get good service then you should tip (20% to 25%) but if the service just was not there than I also believe on leaving NOTHING !!  I will not go into a restaurant where they force me to tip !!  I'm not tipping someone that gives no service or has a shitty attitude !! Now if the food was crap that's not the servers fault I then will want to talk to the manager or owner,  but if the server was good I would still tip him/her because that's not their fault !! and then I just wouldn't go back to that restaurant ever again.  Tipping is my choice it's not the law !!  well except for Thailand now it seems and for the record my wife and I own a bar/restaurant here in Thailand, and one thing you have to know about the restaurant business you can't please all the people all the time and you will run into some customers who are just plain CHEAP CHARLIES !!  and my wife and I understand this and teach our staff to do the same.

4 hours ago, GeckosDiving said:

When I was younger I was a bartender and strived at giving the customers the best service I could so they would tip me, but if they didn't the next time they came in I would try extra hard to LOOSEN some change from their pockets. The thing is not everyone well tip and for me I understand that some people just don't I was ok with that because their were more customer that did compared to the one's that didn't but other fellow workers just hated that and would actually chase the customer down and confront them on why they didn't tip. To me a lot of the time it was my follow worker who just expected a tip and gave shitty service thinking the customer would or should tip anyways !!  I'm a firm believer in if you get good service then you should tip (20% to 25%) but if the service just was not there than I also believe on leaving NOTHING !!  I will not go into a restaurant where they force me to tip !!  I'm not tipping someone that gives no service or has a shitty attitude !! Now if the food was crap that's not the servers fault I then will want to talk to the manager or owner,  but if the server was good I would still tip him/her because that's not their fault !! and then I just wouldn't go back to that restaurant ever again.  Tipping is my choice it's not the law !!  well except for Thailand now it seems and for the record my wife and I own a bar/restaurant here in Thailand, and one thing you have to know about the restaurant business you can't please all the people all the time and you will run into some customers who are just plain CHEAP CHARLIES !!  and my wife and I understand this and teach our staff to do the same.

A tip is not usually required in Thailand but I will leave a tip if I get good service.  If a 'service charge' is noted on the menu I will ask my server if it is parceled out to the staff.  If it is then that is the tip.  And if I decide the server deserves more the service charge is taken into account.  If not I will give a 'personal' tip to my server.  And most likely not go back there again. One time in the US I had a really nasty experience in a restaurant but my server was the best, horrified at how I was being treated.  I gave her a big tip and offered her a job.  I reported the restaurant to the Better Business Bureau, the Chamber of Commerce and wrote a letter to the editor of the local newspaper. 

16 hours ago, bark said:

Sadly 5% is actually quite a lot for most Thai families to add on to their meals, especially if they are only getting the minimum wage, as this will effect them the most. If the price of food in restaurants does increase, then they will eat out less and that - for the restaurant and service staff - is not a good thing as it means less customers. And Thai customers are the vast majority of most restaurants business. 

Wonder if this charge will be levied at food courts?? 

Didn't exist in Thailand when I first came here in the 90's. It's an American thing either introduced by foreigners or copied by the Thais.

Apart from hotels and some well meaning restaurant owners, it's just another way of restauranteurs to increase their profits, as I doubt it ever supplements the worker's wages. Replaces wages maybe.

Even the Samui taxi drivers introduced it when their fares were going to be capped. Added to the fare before you get in.

I even know of one hotel where the staff asked for a service charge to be introduced instead of a basic wage, as they thought they would get more money. They were even warned that low season or reduced tourist numbers would be detrimental to their pay.

20 hours ago, gdgbb said:

This is not about a service charge of 5% being ok'd by the authorities (and being 10 points less than you consider adequate), that picture is just a stock photo illustrating the OP and means nothing. 

And you consider 15% a "real tip"?  Wow, last of the big spenders, eh?

Yes, it ( 15 %) is considered standard in my industry. Thus a real tip.

As I believe you are not very smart. The example : 150 baht tip on food and beverage, bill of 1,000 baht.

For excellent service 20-25 % in the norm. 200-250 baht.

My staff would be happy if you came to any of my three restaurants in Bangkok and used this calculation.

If not, then stay home and eat your boiled rice and 30 grams of chicken for 40 baht !

Great Food and Great Service come at a cost. And you seem to not care about either one !

Case Closed! Good night ! No last call for you !