Making a Will

scubachild

Do i need to see a lawyer to make a Will in Thailand?

I have no ex-wifes or other family to make a claim on my assets.  I will leave everything to one (Thai) person.  So will this be sufficient?  (1) type my wishes out in English (2) get the person I am leaving everything to, to translate into Thai (3) get 2 people to witness and sign.  Is that going to be official enough?   Does Thai law require something special that only a lawyer can do?

Thanks for any advice and experience

Adam

Actually heard this on the radio two days ago from Magna carta lawyers

A lawyer makes the will less contestable as they are a professional and upstanding witness but not a requirement (2 witnesses required but only 1 needs to be a lawyer if you wish)

Two individual wills make it easier for both Thai assets and home country assets as the country laws can differ (from what they said it just clears the way to get things processed in a more orderly fashion)

Just for additional info the cost is approx 5000baht per will

Clarify all assets on the wills to make them easily traceable when needed

Leave funds available for access to your spouse as a will can take 6 months to clear and funds be released (they did mention to leave a bank card pin number on the will for cash access in the interim if no joint accounts held)

Thank you for that.  Many good points there I had not thought about.  My UK will remains in the UK and I treat that as a separate matter.  There is an executor there who will deal with that and I don't see how it effects any one or any process here in Thailand.

By the way one reason for my asking is that lawyers here on Koh Samui are asking 15,000 THB per will... seems over the top however upstanding they are :-)

Isaan Lawyers (www.isaanlawyers.com) can make your last Will online, wherever you live in Thailand, will keep an original free of charge in their fireproof safe, will provide you legal advice and it will be a bilingual Will, Thai and English for 4,800 + 7% VAT tax which is about 5,000 baht.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect