Thailand cracks down on migrant workers as anti-immigration feelings rise

webfact

1 hour ago, digibum said:

I hope you didn't just figure this fact out.  

Look at ANY debate about anything going on in Thailand involving farangs and within 3 responses a Thai will jump to their standard line, "Well, if you don't like it, get out of my country."  

Exactly the same argument most westerners use when some refugee complains about their host country. It's simple-mindedness which is rampant all over the world. The only difference maybe is that in the west we aren't brainwashed everyday at 8am and 6pm.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Gainsbourg said:

Exactly the same argument most westerners use when some refugee complains about their host country. It's simple-mindedness which is rampant all over the world. The only difference maybe is that in the west we aren't brainwashed everyday at 8am and 6pm.

I don't think that is true.  Obviously I can't speak for every other country but immigrants protest and complain all the time in America.  Sure, some people may want to dismiss them because they aren't even citizens but I think for the most part people believe that they have a right to speak out about injustices.  

And I think if you were chatting with some immigrant and they said, "The people in America don't seem very friendly like they are in my country," I don't think you would get the knee-jerk "If you don't love everything about my country, GET OUT!!!" reaction you would get in Thailand.  Some Americans might say it but it's almost 100% certainty that you'll hear it in Thailand.  

Thais don't do confrontation well to begin with.  I mean, has any Thai PM ever dealt effectively with uncomfortable questions from the media?  How many veiled and direct threats to reporters asking tough questions have they made over the years?

I think this is similar in nature except, I do believe most Thais sorta, kinda know that their country is screwed up.  

This is why if the wheels come off the economy, all bets are off for Thailand.  If Thais are politically or economically forced into a situation where they have to confront what is wrong with Thai society and have to abandon many of their dogmatic beliefs, I'm not confident that happens without some blood being spilled first.  Farang blood, Burmese blood, Thai blood, I'm not sure but history doesn't have a lot of examples where this happens smoothly.   

• 3 weeks later...

Big difference is if you say that to a foreigner in Europe you get slammed by the PC crowd.

Not so in Thailand....

Thailand will still be here after EU is long gone.

13 hours ago, brianinbangkok said:

Big difference is if you say that to a foreigner in Europe you get slammed by the PC crowd.

Not so in Thailand....

Thailand will still be here after EU is long gone.

I prefer a pc crowd over ignorant serfs kept suppressed by harsh LM laws and attitude adjustment... 

On 9/29/2016 at 2:58 PM, williamgeorgeallen said:

certainly no free movement of labor. i have asked here a few times what it was all about, yet to get an answer.

From

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Southeast_Asian_Nations#ASEAN_Economic_Community_Blueprint

Free flow of skilled labour[edit]

Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRAs) have been agreed upon by ASEAN for eight professions: physicians, dentists, nurses, architects, engineers, accountants, surveyors, and tourism professionals. Individuals in these professions will be free to work in any ASEAN nation after the AEC goes into effect on 31 December 2015.[49] Applicants must be licensed and recognised professionals in these fields in their home countries. They can move to other ASEAN countries to practice, but they must pass that country's licensing test. In Thailand, licensing tests will be in the Thai language. In addition, one cannot be an independent practitioner. Any foreign professional intending to work must collaborate with a local business. Given these hurdles, it is unlikely that there will be significant migrations of professionals in the near-term.[50] A Chulalongkorn University study predicts that more developed countries stand to benefit the most from the free flow of professionals.[51]

Edited by bokningar

2 hours ago, bokningar said:

From

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_Southeast_Asian_Nations#ASEAN_Economic_Community_Blueprint

Free flow of skilled labour[edit]

Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRAs) have been agreed upon by ASEAN for eight professions: physicians, dentists, nurses, architects, engineers, accountants, surveyors, and tourism professionals. Individuals in these professions will be free to work in any ASEAN nation after the AEC goes into effect on 31 December 2015.[49] Applicants must be licensed and recognised professionals in these fields in their home countries. They can move to other ASEAN countries to practice, but they must pass that country's licensing test. In Thailand, licensing tests will be in the Thai language. In addition, one cannot be an independent practitioner. Any foreign professional intending to work must collaborate with a local business. Given these hurdles, it is unlikely that there will be significant migrations of professionals in the near-term.[50] A Chulalongkorn University study predicts that more developed countries stand to benefit the most from the free flow of professionals.[51]

good info wonder how many have been let in.

2 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

good info wonder how many have been let in.

With the huge amount of  Physicians, dentists, nurses, architects, engineers, accountants, surveyors, and tourism professionals  that can read and wright Thai from the rest of  the ASEAN countries. Thailand must be flooded with all that passed the test by now :giggle:

16 hours ago, bokningar said:

With the huge amount of  Physicians, dentists, nurses, architects, engineers, accountants, surveyors, and tourism professionals  that can read and wright Thai from the rest of  the ASEAN countries. Thailand must be flooded with all that passed the test by now :giggle:

Actually there has indeed been an influx particularly from Filipinos. Many Hotels have now Filipino receptionists and yes, they CAN speak Thai. Almost all English speaking CSR agents at Bumrungrad hospital are now Filipinos too. Plus in almost all cases, they are more courteous and friendly than their Thai counterparts who insist on speaking THAINGLISH as "it is our country"

9 hours ago, siam2007 said:

Actually there has indeed been an influx particularly from Filipinos. Many Hotels have now Filipino receptionists and yes, they CAN speak Thai. Almost all English speaking CSR agents at Bumrungrad hospital are now Filipinos too. Plus in almost all cases, they are more courteous and friendly than their Thai counterparts who insist on speaking THAINGLISH as "it is our country"

I'm truly amazed.

So in less than 10 month did this Filipinos manage to learn how to speak, read and wright Thai so they could pass the test.

Get a job here and work long enough make a good impression. 

Not possible they have been here working illegally for a long time already ????  :smile: