Dog Walks

swbaggies

17 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

I prefer the park on Phuket road near Tiew Kien Keng shrine (cross the road from the Phuket immigration office). Fairly large park where many Thais walk their dogs in the weekend. 

Yes this is a good place or around your own garden. Not on the beach where children play

11 hours ago, swbaggies said:

he is always on leash but i have a 10metre one so he can go wander but always in my control. Im aware that because of his breed Thais do not seem to be keen on him.

When said off lead i was thinking more if there is a dog park he can mix off leash with other dogs

What breed would that be?

1 hour ago, helloagain said:

Yes this is a good place or around your own garden. Not on the beach where children play

Care to explain how friendly family dogs are a problem on the beach when there's already a ton of vicious soi dogs roaming close to children and snapping at people with food?

Should we also leash up children to make antisocial weirdos people feel more secure and comfortable in public?

Edited by bearpolar

5 minutes ago, swbaggies said:

He is an English bull terrier, I appreciate how he looks differently and other people aren't all keen on dogs and I am always considerate of others and will cross the road other than make them nervous.

I do understand. I've a big black lab and people have run away shouting "maa kut" (biting dog) when they see her as I'm walking her on a 30cm (12 inch) lead so she is always at my hip. I find it strange when there is a mangy, flea ridden, Thai dog sitting in the doorway of 7-11 and they silently step over it.

18 minutes ago, bearpolar said:

Care to explain how friendly family dogs are a problem on the beach when there's already a ton of vicious soi dogs roaming close to children and snapping at people with food?

Should we also leash up children to make antisocial weirdos people feel more secure and comfortable in public?

Yes , good idea ...

Around Bang Niew Dam in Ban Bang Jo between Surin Beach and the Heroines Monument. 

Very good area to walk the dog. About 5 km around the lake and there are fine trails up into the hills  and there are more streams running into the lake.

19 hours ago, bearpolar said:

Same, my dog loves the beach,  kids generally end up playing in the water with him.

Cant understand the morons who get all offended at not having the beach to themselves, they'ed be better moving back to the perfect place they came from.

4 hours ago, beechbum said:

Same, my dog loves the beach,  kids generally end up playing in the water with him.

Cant understand the morons who get all offended at not having the beach to themselves, they'ed be better moving back to the perfect place they came from.

the tourists certainly don't mind. Every single time i have a few coming to me for a chat when im there with my dog running around.

For in case you are planning to visit the park near immigration, let me give some pointers of things I found out over there:

1 - you can easily park at the start of the park opposite the "navy museum" 

2 - route #1 is my favorite; you take a left and go along the beach. At the end of the beach the path goes back where you can go over a concrete roadway through the mangroove forest there. But better you stay on the beach and enter the green area which is normally deserted. With high tide this is the perfect spot to get your dog off-leash and have it chase a ball and swim in the sea. I normally see no more than 1-2 people at that part of the beach in an hour. 

3 - route #2 is almost all over a concrete road; it takes me about 45 minutes to walk that route with my dog given my dog wants to sniff everywhere in the hope of finding chicken bones

4 - the soi dogs of the park live in a group and can be aggressive; they hang out in the red area 99% of the time. Along walking route 1 you might come across 3 dogs living on the beach there but they are slow, don't bark, and walk away when you come close. 

5 - where I put the number 2 on the map is one dog who barks a lot (white dog with some brown spots) that lives under the card of a motorcycle parked there. That dog can come close and seems aggressive; keeping your dog close to you (on a leash) and having a stick in your hand helps a lot

6 - in the orange circle is the immigration office; just as a point of reference

7 - in the weekends it can be nice and busy in the park later on the day when Thais jog, walk their dog, or picknick. Great moment to socialize your dog and have something to see on your walk.

8 - near 5PM there might be a lady with 2 medium size dogs in the green area who does not control them; my dog got attacked once there by one of her dogs.

9 - check the tides before going for a swim there, with low tide it will be muddy in the green area and there will be many Thais looking for shells in the sand (about 50 of them) meaning you cannot get your dog off-leash; site with the tides in Phuket: http://www.tide-forecast.com/locations/Phuket/tides/latest

Hope this helps.

phuket dog park.png

On 10/1/2016 at 4:59 AM, beechbum said:

22 hours ago, bearpolar said:

the tourists certainly don't mind. Every single time i have a few coming to me for a chat when im there with my dog running around.

Agree with you both. My own dog has not been to the beach recently as my mode of transport for her in in need of repair. But when there on my own I am often asked by both local kids and adults who know me "where is she?"

Yesterday however sitting at ban Amphur beach I noticed around 4pm a large number of stray dogs appeared, behaving unfriendly, as they waited for the idiot farang who comes and feeds them. After they are fed they sh?t all over the beach. But by that time the farang has left.  What he puts in one end he should clean up when it comes out the other.

On 9/30/2016 at 9:13 AM, bearpolar said:

OK, I'll try to explain (if you care to listen). 

I jog on the beach a lot. 
When I jog near a person who has their family dog with them, many of the dogs (I guess) feel the need to protect their owner. 

The soi dogs who live there tend to ignore me if I don't have food for them. 

I've been bitten twice here in Phuket. 
Both times by dogs who had masters with them. 
One even said: "Don't worry, he won't bite"

Yeah right. 

Your dog should be on a leash. 
And you should clean up after it.   (both of these are largely ignored)

All in all the beach is owned by the king and you will have to learn to share it with dogs or fly back home where dogs are treated as pieces of shit stuck in cages for 18hrs a day.

If you get bitten by a family dog, then take it and break its neck in self defence.

Edited by bearpolar

One of the reasons I post infrequently on the forum is that posts get involved in an argument when not needed. Is it really that hard to stick to the question asked by the poster? I have sympathy if somebody was bitten, I have sympathy if somebodies beach time was interrupted by a dog owner unable or unwilling to look after their dog and clean up as well as the pro’s and cons’ of using a leash. Do you really have nothing better to do than pontificate on a post not applicable to yourself?

If it is really that much of an issue…. Here’s an idea start your own thread on it so it is applicable to the question asked.

I would like to thank…

Bob12345, your map and info went above and beyond what I asked for and I am very grateful and will be paying a visit to your suggestion.

GoldieinKathu, I will be paying a visit there to so thank you for your help.

Keesters, it is unfortunate and like you I do not understand the acceptance of soi dogs but fear of a leashed dog. When he was a puppy, about 3 months old (he is only 7 now), he was bitten by a dog that was collared and ran out of someone’s drive, the person just stood there laughing, the dog was introduced to my stick and he doesn’t bother us anymore.

Perconrad, thank you for your suggestion, I am familiar with Bang Neuw Dam and visit there daily, rain permitting.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to thank the people personally who offered suggestions. On a separate not though does anyone have any feedback on Ton Sai and national parks in general, if they can go in etc?

On 10/1/2016 at 6:16 PM, fiddlehead said:

OK, I'll try to explain (if you care to listen). 

I jog on the beach a lot. 
When I jog near a person who has their family dog with them, many of the dogs (I guess) feel the need to protect their owner. 

The soi dogs who live there tend to ignore me if I don't have food for them. 

I've been bitten twice here in Phuket. 
Both times by dogs who had masters with them. 
One even said: "Don't worry, he won't bite"

Yeah right. 

Your dog should be on a leash. 
And you should clean up after it.   (both of these are largely ignored)

There are no leash laws that I've ever heard of in Thailand, please show me I'm wrong. 

On 02/10/2016 at 1:44 PM, swbaggies said:

One of the reasons I post infrequently on the forum is that posts get involved in an argument when not needed. Is it really that hard to stick to the question asked by the poster? I have sympathy if somebody was bitten, I have sympathy if somebodies beach time was interrupted by a dog owner unable or unwilling to look after their dog and clean up as well as the pro’s and cons’ of using a leash. Do you really have nothing better to do than pontificate on a post not applicable to yourself?

If it is really that much of an issue…. Here’s an idea start your own thread on it so it is applicable to the question asked.

I would like to thank…

Bob12345, your map and info went above and beyond what I asked for and I am very grateful and will be paying a visit to your suggestion.

GoldieinKathu, I will be paying a visit there to so thank you for your help.

Keesters, it is unfortunate and like you I do not understand the acceptance of soi dogs but fear of a leashed dog. When he was a puppy, about 3 months old (he is only 7 now), he was bitten by a dog that was collared and ran out of someone’s drive, the person just stood there laughing, the dog was introduced to my stick and he doesn’t bother us anymore.

Perconrad, thank you for your suggestion, I am familiar with Bang Neuw Dam and visit there daily, rain permitting.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to thank the people personally who offered suggestions. On a separate not though does anyone have any feedback on Ton Sai and national parks in general, if they can go in etc?

Not that it matters but I meant 7 months now 

6 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

There are no leash laws that I've ever heard of in Thailand, please show me I'm wrong. 

My post was in reference to Bear Polar's question asking if someone would explain why family dogs can be more apt to attack than soi dogs as I had some experience,  as I explained. 
Also, a few posters were discussing responsible dog owners.  Which the OP said he was one. 

There are many. 
Also I've seen many who are not. 

Poop and leashes may or may not be on the books.  
I don't know. 
But I know what I consider responsible. 

21 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

Pattaya City has laws regarding dogs. One of them states

Dogs' owners must pick up their pets' waste in the public area

Asking at the Public health building veterinary section "how do they expect that to be done when dogs run around free all over the place?" you're told "dogs should be on a leash so the owner knows when and where the dog makes waste" This has been checked independently by at least two people.

Some years ago when Bangkok started to get a bit stricter on dogs (mandatory chipping was introduced) I read that dogs in public areas had to be leashed. There was a maximum length of leash, and the person leashed to the dog had to be between certain ages.

Other major cities will have their own bylaws. Check at your local city hall or Public health.

4 hours ago, Keesters said:

Pattaya City has laws regarding dogs. One of them states

Asking at the Public health building veterinary section "how do they expect that to be done when dogs run around free all over the place?" you're told "dogs should be on a leash so the owner knows when and where the dog makes waste" This has been checked independently by at least two people.

Some years ago when Bangkok started to get a bit stricter on dogs (mandatory chipping was introduced) I read that dogs in public areas had to be leashed. There was a maximum length of leash, and the person leashed to the dog had to be between certain ages.

Other major cities will have their own bylaws. Check at your local city hall or Public health.

Burmese and 300b a day laws

doesnt apply to middle class+, only peasants.

Laws apply to

16 hours ago, bearpolar said:

Burmese and 300b a day laws

doesnt apply to middle class+, only peasants.

Laws apply to all. Enforcement! that is a different subject. Although in Pattaya I have had good results and my housing estate is now void of stray dogs and free to roam pet dogs.