Gen Prayut: General election to be held in 2017

webfact

Gen Prayut: General election to be held in 2017

BANGKOK, 29 September 2016 (NNT) - Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-ocha has confirmed that the National Council For Peace and Order (NCPO) has plans to return democracy to the country, assuring that the general election will be held late next year. 

In his speech at the Bangkok Post Forum 2016, Gen Prayut said the government was continuing with its roadmap to democracy, paving the way for future political reform. Gen Prayut affirmed that his NCPO-led government upholds progressive administration as the key to national reform. He said the government has to remain in power for another year to prepare the general election late in 2017 and formulate a national strategy to continue their reform efforts. 

On the economic front, the business sector has rebounded, with the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) rising from 0.8 percent in 2014 to 3.5 percent in the third quarter this year. The country’s GDP is expected to see further growth later this year. 

The Prime Minister conceded that the government will still have to work harder to foster regional connectivity and strengthen grassroots economies, while leveraging Thailand's strategic location to become an economic hub of the region. 

When asked whether he had plans to continue his premiership, Gen Prayut replied that his future depends on the will of the people, but affirmed that he is ready to end his leadership when the new government initiated its first Cabinet meeting. 

Gen Prayut affirmed that the NCPO would continue to perform its duty under Section 44 of the 2014 Interim Constitution to amend more than 100 laws, adding that he believed the new government would follow the initiatives mapped out by this government.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-09-29

Would people with the Shinawatra sir name be allowed to run in this imaginary election ?  What were the reforms anyway.  Does anyone remember ?  Will the courts be reformed ?  Remember asking urbanites in Bangkok, and have them tell me that I do not understand.  "You need to be Thai". 

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Gen Prayut said the government was continuing with its roadmap to democracy

Since you seem to have veered off your map a bit, I'll help you out: the Thai Monument to Democracy lies straight down on Ratchadaemnoen Road. No left, no right, no U-turn. It's straight like a ruler, Mr. Ruler.

We should keep this Government in power. They are so powerful that they could reduce  the new railway from Khon Kaen and 900 KM to 3 500 m in 2016. In 2017 we will see a further reduction to 350 meter. That's a powerful progress step in the right direction for the economy.

Well since the senate is no longer elected but appointed by the army and that the senate can vote along with the government for the next prime minister, then guess who the next prime minister will be.

One vote that doesn't need to be 'fixed'.  Already fixed by the last referendum!

I bet the Junta leader is thinking in his head "Why do they keep asking about elections? Don't they want me to be the prime minister?"

I can imagine him being genuinely upset and confused as to why people would want a new prime minister when he's so amazing. 

21 hours ago, webfact said:

he is ready to end his leadership when the new government initiated its first Cabinet meeting.

However, the appointees to the new Cabinet by the newly elected PM require endorsement by Prayut. Only then will the NCPO dissolve. Which at that point Prayut might be the new President or Vice President of the Senate so as to continue his oversight of the new government. Prayut doesn't need the will of the People, just his own way.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Gen Prayut affirmed that the NCPO would continue to perform its duty under Section 44 of the 2014 Interim Constitution to amend more than 100 laws

Can't allow the new government to amend laws. Might upset the NCPO roadmap. A bit of irony by the NCPO to start amending laws directly using its absolute power than relying even on its own rubberstamp legislative body. But at least it would give members of the NLA deniability when they run for election.

"...Prayut affirmed that his NCPO...upholds progressive administration as the key to national reform..." - I would have thought "re" was the more appropriate prefix in this sentence!

"...affirmed that he is ready to end his leadership when the new government initiated its first Cabinet meeting..."????

I think Srikcir sums it up quite well, but there may be others with a different opinion!

Dragged-Kicking.jpg

The will of the people is to have a real PM elected by real votes.

That will never happen you made sure of that. No need to assume all Thais are dumb. The word has spread. You will be remembered Sir. There is no doubting that.

As for the election funny another JUNTA PUPPET 

Edited by performance