Mae Sai Boarder Crossing

bhatmasterson

Does anyone know if the one day boarder pass at Mae Sai available again. This requires that you pay a small fee on the Thai side, they make a copy of you passport and keep the original until you return to pick it up. No stamping of your passport. Approximately a year ago it wasn't available.  Does anyone know if it's available again?

I posted this a couple of momths ago here and a gentelman gave me the name of someone who might have info on this but I could never get in touch with that person. I posted in the Mayanmar forum as well and got no reply.

Thanks

I believe visa runs to Mae Sai are long dead.  You can cross over however for a day trip if you have a multiple entry visa.  But you do get stamped out and back in again just like the visa run of old.

Ive not heard of this system that the OP refers to.

It's called a VIP pass.

From reading the latest comments, it seems to be arbitrary so it's on of those things I guess

where you won't know unless you try for one.

Some have advised they've got one where other have been refused.

There's comments on the CR forum.

Edited by Will27

1 hour ago, CMKiwi said:

I believe visa runs to Mae Sai are long dead.  You can cross over however for a day trip if you have a multiple entry visa.  But you do get stamped out and back in again just like the visa run of old.

Ive not heard of this system that the OP refers to.

It was a concessionairy practice in place for an extra fee for genuine tourist day trippers to cross the border basically to see the "other side". I believe you can still do a tourist border concessionary hop on some of the "Golden Triangle" tours except it is by boat and to Laos. My first time to Mai Sai was with Opals family in a minibus with my two youngest children from my previous marriage and with passports securely in the hotel safe, we couldn't accompany the family as they "crossed the border" for bootleg bargains.

After traipsing around Mae Sai, Opal, myself and the youngsters found a pleasant watering hole overlooking the border, (River tributary-canal width).

What I found farcical was a steady stream of either Thai or Burmese entrepreneurs crossing the border by wading across the tributary river with a carton of Marlboro or a specific brand of Spirit presumably to fulfil an order. I had also been asked.

Family came back with same old bootleg shit also available in Chaing Mai that with the transportation costs added would have been break even.

Lacking from my equation is the experience and family interaction which was priceless.

Border passes are only available for Thai citizens, not for farangs.

As "alien" you can only pass the border with a valid visa or extension and re-entry permit. No visa on arrival or visa exemption. Free on Thai side, 500B to be paid when entering Myanmar.

Edited by MadMac

Bhatmasterson,

If Boomerangutan (the op for the following link) doesn't answer a pm (perhaps he doesn't see it), try posting diectly to the link (in the Chiang Rai forum) specifically asking there for an answer.  The Chiang Rai forum is the best place to ask this question,

41 minutes ago, MadMac said:

Border passes are only available for Thai citizens, not for farangs.

As "alien" you can only pass the border with a valid visa or extension and re-entry permit. No visa on arrival or visa exemption. Free on Thai side, 500B to be paid when entering Myanmar.

Thanks for the update MadMac which I expect would be latest current situation, Yet not updated by TripAdvisor upon an initial search function for "Mae Sai Tachilek" border  would be taken as Gospel for many.

Edited by Paul Catton
Double adjective

This is a bit off topic but...years ago (5 or 6, 7 maybe?) I crossed into Burma at Tachilek and went on a 4 or 5 day journey into Burma returning to the same border crossing at Tachilek. I can't recall the name of the town I went to but folks liked to call it "Chiang Mai 50 years ago." Looking at a map it must have been Keng Tung. You had to leave your passport at the border, if I recall, but no visa was required and one could not veer off a certain route. I'm wondering if that's still possible to do? Anyone? I have a multi-O Thai visa so no stamp issue for me.

On 9/30/2016 at 7:00 PM, Mahseer said:

If all else fails you could get an e visa for Burma which will cost you $50.

You don't need a visa for Myanmar, they give you a stamp on arrival for 500B. No problem here.

But Thai immigration will not let you leave the country if you do not have a valid visa/extension and re-entry permit.

17 hours ago, bamboozled said:

This is a bit off topic but...years ago (5 or 6, 7 maybe?) I crossed into Burma at Tachilek and went on a 4 or 5 day journey into Burma returning to the same border crossing at Tachilek. I can't recall the name of the town I went to but folks liked to call it "Chiang Mai 50 years ago." Looking at a map it must have been Keng Tung. You had to leave your passport at the border, if I recall, but no visa was required and one could not veer off a certain route. I'm wondering if that's still possible to do? Anyone? I have a multi-O Thai visa so no stamp issue for me.

I went to Kentung back in March, was able to travel independently as I had a visa issued at the new Burmese consulate in CM

If you do not have a visa you can still go to Kentung with the temporary 500B ($10) travel Burmese permit but only with an official English speaking guide at 1000B a day plus hotel/food expenses

Kentung is rapidly 'developing' many of the old shop houses have been demolished and the ethnic Chinese are putting up the usual huge concrete monstrosities. Also 'aliens' can only stay in state licenced accomodation (ie more expensive)

Other than that the beer is cheap!

Edited by Mickeem
additions

7 hours ago, Mickeem said:

I went to Kentung back in March, was able to travel independently as I had a visa issued at the new Burmese consulate in CM

If you do not have a visa you can still go to Kentung with the temporary 500B ($10) travel Burmese permit but only with an official English speaking guide at 1000B a day plus hotel/food expenses

Kentung is rapidly 'developing' many of the old shop houses have been demolished and the ethnic Chinese are putting up the usual huge concrete monstrosities. Also 'aliens' can only stay in state licenced accomodation (ie more expensive)

Other than that the beer is cheap!

Hi Mickeem, did you only go to Kengtung or somewhere else, also? When I went  years ago many people said they had never seen a white person before...NOT! What did you end up paying for lodging? I don't have a lot of money to throw around and would be "uncomfortable" paying a high price for a hovel. I don't remember it costing much back in the day but lately I have heard that hotel/guesthouse prices in Myanmar are rather pricey compared to Thailand perhaps for lack of competition still.

On 9/30/2016 at 5:22 PM, cmrichsw said:

As of 2 weeks ago VIP passes for 100 baht are no longer available for foreigners. You must stamp out and reenter, make sure you have a reentry permit or you will lose your retirement visa for 1 year if that is your visa.

Okay. This is what I was told almost a year ago. Thanks

On 9/30/2016 at 5:20 PM, OneZero said:

Bhatmasterson,

If Boomerangutan (the op for the following link) doesn't answer a pm (perhaps he doesn't see it), try posting diectly to the link (in the Chiang Rai forum) specifically asking there for an answer.  The Chiang Rai forum is the best place to ask this question,

Okay. Thanks again. However, it looks like someone has been there within the last 2 weeks with the same results that I encountered. The last time I used the VIP pass I was in Chiang Rai and wanted to go to the duty free shop just across the boarder. I paid my 100 baht.; my wife didn't need to pay. We didn't even bother to check into Myanmar. We went straight to the duty free and came right back across. It was worth the 100 baht but not the price of a reentry permit. 

Thanks to those with recent information on this subject.

21 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Hi Mickeem, did you only go to Kengtung or somewhere else, also? When I went  years ago many people said they had never seen a white person before...NOT! What did you end up paying for lodging? I don't have a lot of money to throw around and would be "uncomfortable" paying a high price for a hovel. I don't remember it costing much back in the day but lately I have heard that hotel/guesthouse prices in Myanmar are rather pricey compared to Thailand perhaps for lack of competition still.

I went to kentung stayed at Charlies GH decent room Tv fan .. I knew Charlie back in the 90's now his wife runs it as he is not with us now ..  400B a night wifi and electricity only in the eve. You can rent their motorbike and ride around only if in possession of a IDP.  With a visa it may be possible to go to Mongla on the Chinese border but not Taungyyi overland

I went all round town town looking for cheaper accomodation, cheap places ($5) I stayed at before no are no longer able to let 'aliens' stay as they now have to be state licenced for foreign tourists, it's the same in Tachelik. If you have a Burmese visa you can get to Kentung by a/c bus 10,000 kyat or pay Thai baht (money changers are down on the left as you leave the large Tachelik border building)

• 10 months later...

I often go back and forth between Mae Sai and Tachilek.  VIP passes were phased out a few years ago.  Disappointing.  However, groups of Chinese (aren't they always in groups, like flocks of geese) can do day trips, as long as they have an official guide.  Farang, no.  I heard one Thai official say to an inquiring farang, "why go to Tachilek to spend money, when you can buy same same in Mae Sai?"   

Each time I cross the border, and reminded how personable the officials are on the B. side, and how impersonal they are on the Thai side.  Night and day.

Now, I have a $50 online-visa for Burma, and am planning to go again to Keng Tung in 2 weeks.  I've been there before, about 10 yrs ago.  Stayed at Charlie's.  Liked it.

Meng La is off limits now.  Apparently there are factions shooting at each other up there at the Chinese border.  At any given time, there are about 5 armed battles going on at various places in Burma.  

14 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Meng La is off limits now.  Apparently there are factions shooting at each other up there at the Chinese border.  At any given time, there are about 5 armed battles going on at various places in Burma.  

Save to OneDrive - Personal

Burma Army Raids Kasung Village

28 August 2017

Kachin State, Burma

KasungVillageMap

On August 11th the Burma Army launched an unprovoked attack against civilians in Kasung Village, west of Myitkyina, Kachin State. At 1100 Burma Army soldiers began to mortar the village. At 1130 the indirect fire ceased and 200 Burma Army ground troops raided the village, spraying rifle fire at fleeing villagers. Kasung Village has no active Kachin Independence Army (KIA) installations nor military significance. One villager was killed and numerous villagers were injured by beatings from the soldiers.  The Burma Army units involved in the raid were Light Infantry Battalions (LIB) 381 and 384 under MOC-3, headed by Tactical Operation Commander Colonel Aung Than Htwe.

The villagers fled into the jungle surrounding the village during the assault. A villager named Mr. Lamau Awng Nu was shot and killed and other villagers were injured and captured.  A school teacher and eleven other villagers unable to escape were held captive for two days before the army left them.  The soldiers also killed multiple cattle and a pig, which they subsequently ate.  Most homes were looted.   After the Burma Army had taken the village it proceeded to fire into the surrounding tree line, forcing any villagers that had lingered into displacement.

Following the assault locals attempted to help stranded villagers, yet the Burma Army stopped them from assisting until August 13th.  Once the Burma Army withdrew, locals and religious groups began helping their people.  More than 1000 people were displaced during this assault against a civilian population.  On the 22nd villagers began to return to their homes.

KasungVillageMap.pngKasungVillageMap.pngKasungVillageMap.pngLove one another Unite for freedom, justice and peace, Forgive and do not hate each other, Pray with faith, Act with courage, Never surrender

The Free Burma Rangers’ (FBR) mission is to provide hope, help and love to internally displaced people inside Burma, regardless of ethnicity or religion. Using a network of indigenous field teams, FBR reports on human rights abuses, casualties and the humanitarian needs of people who are under the oppression of the Burma Army. FBR provides medical, spiritual and educational resources for IDP communities as they struggle to survive Burmese military attacks.

For more information, please visit www.freeburmarangers.org

© 2017 Free Burma Rangers | Contact FBR

To unsubscribe from this email list, please respond to this email with the word REMOVE in the subject line, or send email to [email protected].

KasungVillageMap.png.85fdc2167f54e7607a3ae77a54b0ef9c.pngKasungVillageMap

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 3:19 PM, Paul Catton said:

It was a concessionairy practice in place for an extra fee for genuine tourist day trippers to cross the border basically to see the "other side". I believe you can still do a tourist border concessionary hop on some of the "Golden Triangle" tours except it is by boat and to Laos. My first time to Mai Sai was with Opals family in a minibus with my two youngest children from my previous marriage and with passports securely in the hotel safe, we couldn't accompany the family as they "crossed the border" for bootleg bargains.

After traipsing around Mae Sai, Opal, myself and the youngsters found a pleasant watering hole overlooking the border, (River tributary-canal width).

What I found farcical was a steady stream of either Thai or Burmese entrepreneurs crossing the border by wading across the tributary river with a carton of Marlboro or a specific brand of Spirit presumably to fulfil an order. I had also been asked.

Family came back with same old bootleg shit also available in Chaing Mai that with the transportation costs added would have been break even.

Lacking from my equation is the experience and family interaction which was priceless.

with passports securely in the hotel safe

IMO you were lucky that you were not stopped by the police/ army checking travelers. Had they wanted to see your passport....................

I have been checked by a border patrol while on a bus to Chiang Rai, but I had my passport with me.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

with passports securely in the hotel safe

IMO you were lucky that you were not stopped by the police/ army checking travelers. Had they wanted to see your passport....................

I have been checked by a border patrol while on a bus to Chiang Rai, but I had my passport with me.

https://www.safetravel.govt.nz/thailand

(Extract)

General travel advice
It is a requirement under Thai law to carry photo identification at all times. A  New Zealand driver’s licence or a photocopy of the biodata page from a passport would be adequate identification in the first instance.

Follow up identification in the second instance is speak with Father-In-Law, here I'll dial for you.

5 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

https://www.safetravel.govt.nz/thailand

(Extract)

General travel advice
It is a requirement under Thai law to carry photo identification at all times. A  New Zealand driver’s licence or a photocopy of the biodata page from a passport would be adequate identification in the first instance.

Follow up identification in the second instance is speak with Father-In-Law, here I'll dial for you.

Ah, the old father in law trick :smile:

For the rest of us, they also want to know that we have a valid visa, and a NZ driving license isn't also in Thai. Photocopies can be faked. It's not like some border guard is carrying around a computer linked to the immigration department.

I have a Thai driving licence, but even that isn't always accepted, like at banks in other provinces, so I find it's easier to carry the passport when out now.

>>I have a Thai driving licence, but even that isn't always accepted, like at banks in other provinces, so I find it's easier to carry the passport when out now.<<

I just carry my T.D.L. on a day to day basis .My worst nightmare would be to loose my passport .Going to MaeSai of course i always have my passport .

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ah, the old father in law trick :smile:

For the rest of us, they also want to know that we have a valid visa, and a NZ driving license isn't also in Thai. Photocopies can be faked. It's not like some border guard is carrying around a computer linked to the immigration department.

I have a Thai driving licence, but even that isn't always accepted, like at banks in other provinces, so I find it's easier to carry the passport when out now.

That first visit to Mae Sai (quite a few years ago now) with the extended family, I thought we were only nipping up the road to a market and afterwards having a family lunch.
(Not even a quick sidetrack to the Golden Triangle, by far not my best ever day trip!).

As we are both visa exempt tourists (Opal uses her NZ passport for travel) a couple of times a year for 2-3 week durations, I wouldn't consider carrying around the passports 24/7 as the risk for loss, theft or accidental damage paranoia outweigh the possibility of random ID check paranoia.

We have only ever been stopped once and asked for ID, which was on a "public bus" between Sukhothai and Chiang Mai whilst transiting overland between destinations, so likewise with you, passports were at hand. 

When checkpoints are routinely established and carried out at places such as the Airport Plaza, Maya Mall and likewise, also "liceneced tour operator day trip" minibuses come under scrutiny, I may reconsider.

If I were to be there as an expat of the future, circumstances would be totally different and another approach likely taken, after all the Father-In-Law trick:thumbsup: isn't going to last forever.

11 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

That first visit to Mae Sai (quite a few years ago now) with the extended family, I thought we were only nipping up the road to a market and afterwards having a family lunch.
(Not even a quick sidetrack to the Golden Triangle, by far not my best ever day trip!).

As we are both visa exempt tourists (Opal uses her NZ passport for travel) a couple of times a year for 2-3 week durations, I wouldn't consider carrying around the passports 24/7 as the risk for loss, theft or accidental damage paranoia outweigh the possibility of random ID check paranoia.

We have only ever been stopped once and asked for ID, which was on a "public bus" between Sukhothai and Chiang Mai whilst transiting overland between destinations, so likewise with you, passports were at hand. 

When checkpoints are routinely established and carried out at places such as the Airport Plaza, Maya Mall and likewise, also "liceneced tour operator day trip" minibuses come under scrutiny, I may reconsider.

If I were to be there as an expat of the future, circumstances would be totally different and another approach likely taken, after all the Father-In-Law trick:thumbsup: isn't going to last forever.

I carry my passport in a money belt- I'd never carry it where a pick pocket could get it- wrapped up in a plastic bag. Been doing so for many years.

Since my road accident, I always assume that I may be heading to the hospital and not my hotel room whenever I venture outside.

Given that the police are not amenable for tourists to get passports from the hotel room, and I don't have a significant other to do so, any form of interaction with the local plod would be more trouble than I want to face, so I do carry my passport when outside, even in town.