Thailand's Generation Y: More sex but more debt

rooster59

Thailand's Generation Y: More sex but more debt

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4FtlyAt7N70yfTtk6JVwDP7Kyt5CVjsbwI7pWK.jpg

Image: Thai PBS

Statistics show that Thai youths have on average five different sexual partners between the ages of 15 and 19. The stats for both females and males are the same.

Generation Y people also have more debt.

Thai city dwellers in the Gen Y group lose their virginity on average at age 15.

The figures are part of information coming out of the Thai census office and were announced by Chalermphon Jaemjan yesterday.

The stats revealed yesterday refer to three groups - baby boomers born between 1953 and 1960 that make up 11.7 million of the Thai population, Generation X born between 1961 and 1981 that has 23 million people and Generation Y born between 1982 and 2005 that has 22
million people. 

There are 7.8 million born from 2006 onwards.

Baby boomers had a strong respect for values in society, it was indicated, while 70-80% married before the age of 30. Only 18% have reasonable pensions or pension prospects.

Generation X members are marrying later, like to stay single and are more reliant on themselves and less reliant on their children than baby boomers. They have much better pension prospects.

Generation Y members are marrying later or not at all. They don't want children. They want freedom. One in three live alone in condos or rooms in hostels. 

They spend 77% of their money on food. If they are city dwellers on average they lost their virginity at age 15. 

In the 15 - 19 age range both men and women will have an average of 5 sexual partners in that time, up from previous generations.

Generation Y members have considerably more credit card debt than their predecessors.

Source: Thai PBS

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-01

47 minutes ago, impulse said:

I knew it.   Sex leads to debt.   Been that way for thousands of years.

generally true however not debt to raise children any more. thailands birth rate has dropped from 6 to 1.6 kids per female over the last 100 years. no where near enough to replace the current population. with almost no immigration it will be interesting to see how thailand copes with the problems that come with an aging and declining population. more retired expats maybe?

13 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

generally true however not debt to raise children any more. thailands birth rate has dropped from 6 to 1.6 kids per female over the last 100 years. no where near enough to replace the current population. with almost no immigration it will be interesting to see how thailand copes with the problems that come with an aging and declining population. more retired expats maybe?

'Be interesting to see how many of those 6 kids survived long enough to be able to support the family, compared to the % of 1.6 kids that will survive under today's conditions.

Edit:  "Today's conditions" include life expectancy and working into a much higher age than they did back when physical labor behind the plow was the norm.

Handled properly, I'm not sure zero or negative population growth is a bad thing.

Edited by impulse

“Baby boomers had a strong respect for values in society, it was indicated, while 70-80% married before the age of 30. Only 18% have reasonable pensions or pension prospects.

Most likely due to a strong respect for another value of society....Mia Nois.

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Baby boomers had a strong respect for values in society, it was indicated, while 70-80% married before the age of 30. Only 18% have reasonable pensions or pension prospects.

Hey baby thats us. I am in the 18% of pensions but calling them reasonable is a bit of an understatement. We had our fun to only on a more modest scale. Look around you and see what the over accesses have brought the world. 

Signed

Someone 78 years old and glad of it. 

8 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Hey baby thats us. I am in the 18% of pensions but calling them reasonable is a bit of an understatement. We had our fun to only on a more modest scale. Look around you and see what the over accesses have brought the world. 

Signed

Someone 78 years old and glad of it. 

Had I retired when my father did, I'd have had plenty of dosh coming in.  But at 0.1% interest from the banks, no more defined benefit pensions,  and the occasional looting of the equities markets, I'll have to work another 30 or 40 years...

Edited by impulse

7 minutes ago, impulse said:

Had I retired when my father did, I'd have had plenty of dosh coming in.  But at 0.1% interest from the banks and the occasional looting of the equities markets, I'll have to work another 30 or 40 years...

The latter part of your statement says it all. Its become alarming at all these crooked banks we trust with our money that are turning up every day now. Some investors even buy their stock as part of their retirement package. I watched Elizabeth Warren ream out Stumpf the CEO of Wells Fargo what a sight to behold. She turned him into a real life Pinata. She is the only one with any guts among these old stogies. Some have now been shamed into throwing stones at Stumpf but then this is a re-election year for a lot of them so they better look somewhat alive. Yes thanks to the Fed you can look forward to 0.1% interest rates forever. Not only that but when it comes COLA there is a big fat zero there which is a lie because we all shop for a living. 

Edited by elgordo38

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

The latter part of your statement says it all.

I edited to add the part about no defined benefit pensions any more.  A lot of guys who retired in the past don't know how lucky they are that they got out with a defined benefit.  Same goes for government employees.  I had one, but it was converted to a 401K, which has been looted repeatedly by Wall Street.  Like the zero interest from the bank, the composite returns have been laughable.

39 minutes ago, Ooladolla said:

77% on food ! Either they eat a lot too or are on very low wages, throw in rent as one in three live alone and they can only eat and sleep ??

Food here means food and beverage! And food don't cost much...

8 hours ago, Ooladolla said:

77% on food ! Either they eat a lot too or are on very low wages, throw in rent as one in three live alone and they can only eat and sleep ??

And what % on condoms :shock1:

Generation Y members are marrying later or not at all. They don't want children

The only people I know who married are Falangs ,NEVER MET  aThai girl who actually 

married in the "Office"( proper marriage) and I met a lot of them,because I employed

many many , of them.

Thai city dwellers in the Gen Y group lose their virginity on average at age 15.

I love the use of the old-fashioned term "lose their virginity", when in the vast majority of cases it wasn't lost at all, but freely given away.

Now I know why Thailand has so many school-age mums and soaring figures for HIV and other sexually-transmitted diseases - and why a local paediatrician tried to persuade me to get my nine-year-old daughter vaccinated with Gardasil.

I won't, for a number of reasons, be following this literally shocking advice. But clearly parents and government need to do a lot more to educate Thai children about the consequences of irresponsible sexual behaviour.