want to start a business in Thailand and migrate there for living.

Hello All,

I desire to live in beautiful city of Bangkok and start a business there. I have businesses in India because mainly I am from India. But I would like to migrate and live in Thailand as well do business here. So would like to know more about it. I know little about it that I need to have Thailand partners to start business but can I extend my Indian business there or start a fresh one over Thailand? 

Thanks, 

Jay

3 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

I believe foreign investment is off 85% in the past couple of years you might want to investigate why.  

So I would require to have 85% of total capital required in Thailand I guess. Do you think it's better to hire consultancy from Thailand regarding my requirements? 

Thanks, 

Jay

Ignore the rude responses.

You will probably need Thai partners. However, you might want to look into a representative office of your Indian company if your activities comply with the restrictions that implies.

The advice to come over and talk with Indian businessmen already established here is worth considering (as long as they do not see you as competition).

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

It might be a good idea by the OP to mention in what industry he wants to start a business in Thailand.

Top Business by Indians and Thai Indians are the following industry:

Property Development, Gems & Jewelry, Food Processing and of course Tailor shops (or wholesale garments) and Indian Restaurants. Money lending is another industry that is controlled by Indian Thais but if you are a Sikh or Singh and you have some money to spend this could be a good opportunity as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ldiablo72 said:

The simple fact that you can't differentiate what Scotwight said about foreign investment being down around 85% and the amount of capital you need to invest in Thailand tells me you shouldn't open a business in Thailand.

5 hours ago, ldiablo72 said:

The simple fact that you can't differentiate what Scotwight said about foreign investment being down around 85% and the amount of capital you need to invest in Thailand tells me you shouldn't open a business in Thailand.

Sorry english is not my first language but I misquoted it. Thanks for pointing out. understood now what he meant. 

3 hours ago, MobileContent said:

It might be a good idea by the OP to mention in what industry he wants to start a business in Thailand.

Top Business by Indians and Thai Indians are the following industry:

Property Development, Gems & Jewelry, Food Processing and of course Tailor shops (or wholesale garments) and Indian Restaurants. Money lending is another industry that is controlled by Indian Thais but if you are a Sikh or Singh and you have some money to spend this could be a good opportunity as well.

My company is into IT solutions and 3D animation. In IT we are mainly into analytics.

4 hours ago, DoctorG said:

This is an oldie but a goodie, so my fellows will not mind seeing it again.

Q. How do I make a million doing business in Thailand?

A. Start with 2 million.

Sorry. :smile:

Or buy a bar for 1.6 million and sell it in 6 months for a million

3 hours ago, jaypatel said:

My company is into IT solutions and 3D animation. In IT we are mainly into analytics.

Be aware that good IT people with functional English as thin on the ground here. I ran a software house in Thailand back in the late '80s early '90s, and finding staff was hard. I do not think it has become any easier over time. You will likely need to settle mainly for people who are competent technically, but quite unable to deal with clients in English.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jaypatel said:

I wonder why FDI slowing down that much. Thanks I will investigate it first. 

The 85% really was closer to 90% and that was for 2015, which several things contributed to this. Mainly projects that were scheduled for 2015 were pushed up to be implemented in 2014 before Thailand govt changed some laws on tax breaks, investment incentives,etc, but we also had a global issues, such as slumps for products, the strong US dollar, China's slow down etc.  2015 Foreign investment was only 2 billion, 2016 investment should be at or above 12 billion.  Also Thailand's debt is decreasing.  So 2015 was bad but 2016 is doing very well. 

• Like 2

Don't let your love for Thailand cloud your judgment.  Programmers are better in Saigon than most parts of Asia, with perhaps the exception of possibly India.  They speak English well as well.  If you do choose to allow love to trump good sense, the Indian / Thai Chamber of Commerce is near Lumpini Park.   

• Like 1

It can be done, but not easily.

There are many rules and restrictions on foriegners owning and running busineses in Thailand.

Also you will need to  invest a signifigant amount of Capital in your business to meet the Thai legal requirements.

Ans as a foriegner (non Thai) you may be required to have Thai partners who will own 51 percent of the business, while you will be limited to 49 percent.

Study the rules and  learn the rules carefully before you put any money in Thailand.

On Saturday, October 01, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Grubster said:

If you can support yourself here by running a business you would be a huge success, Most go home with their tail between their legs. Good luck.

Most people are not made for success. Here or home. Losers will be losers. Op is indian. Not thai-born-indian which is a totally different situation. Op will be successfull if he follows the rules as well as common sense. As op already runs a successful biz in india he will have more chances to succeed here than joe six-pack who tought mongering and business are compatible. Lastly i also suppose op will not interfere with the local ladies/leeches so go op! Go!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gainsbourg said:

Most people are not made for success. Here or home. Losers will be losers. Op is indian. Not thai-born-indian which is a totally different situation. Op will be successfull if he follows the rules as well as common sense. As op already runs a successful biz in india he will have more chances to succeed here than joe six-pack who tought mongering and business are compatible. Lastly i also suppose op will not interfere with the local ladies/leeches so go op! Go!

Well there have been thousands of successful businessmen in their home land that tried it here and failed miserably. I was only stating that he would be a huge success if he can make it work here, thats all. Actually I would also think it would be a better idea to make your money at home where you know how and then retire here like I did, but if a guy wants to give it a shot I'm all for him and would support his business if it fit my needs.

2 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Well there have been thousands of successful businessmen in their home land that tried it here and failed miserably. I was only stating that he would be a huge success if he can make it work here, thats all. Actually I would also think it would be a better idea to make your money at home where you know how and then retire here like I did, but if a guy wants to give it a shot I'm all for him and would support his business if it fit my needs.

True. But a western entrepeneur is often simply not made for the way things go here. A south asian entrepeneur has much more chances to succeed as their methods, ethics, experience, ethos etc is more compatible here. I have known a couple who failed here, westerners, and nearly all of them failed cuz they wanted western style business doing in LOS. It doesn't work like that. And def not if u cant stay clear from the "darlings"...

3 minutes ago, Gainsbourg said:

True. But a western entrepeneur is often simply not made for the way things go here. A south asian entrepeneur has much more chances to succeed as their methods, ethics, experience, ethos etc is more compatible here. I have known a couple who failed here, westerners, and nearly all of them failed cuz they wanted western style business doing in LOS. It doesn't work like that. And def not if u cant stay clear from the "darlings"...

Very true, I guess I just think even a successful business here would have a hard time making in a month what I would make in a week back home but thats just me, IF he's from India I'm sure thats not the case for him. I also understand that some guys just want to be here and try to make enough to stay here.