Next England Manager, Who?

sotsira

18 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

England have won few trophies, if any, since 1966.

Aresene Wenger is the most successful Manager in the history of football. Not by total number of trophies, but by consistency with one Club: 20 consecutive years in the top four of the Premier League of WORLD football. Most Clubs don't reach top four in any year despite having good Managers. How many matches? How many Players  has he had to manage?

He would be my choice - I just wish he was English!

Yep, Arsene Wenger is certainly consistent at not achieving anything. 20 years of mostly mediocrity and failure. As Jose put it " an expert in failure".

Seems like the perfect choice for the FA.

Wenger for me. Excellent manager, his team plays football, been around long time, knows english football and england inside so while we all know he's french he's been around long enough to be one of us. Wenger AND a young assistant manager to learn the England job and take over in a few seasons.

Ferguson. Get lost! Odious, and a real Scot in charge of England no way. Wouldn't work.

58 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Yep, Arsene Wenger is certainly consistent at not achieving anything. 20 years of mostly mediocrity and failure. As Jose put it " an expert in failure".

Yes three league titles and six FA cups don't count, do they?

As is a season unbeaten, I mean anyone can do that.

What a loser.

:cheesy:

30 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Yes three league titles and six FA cups don't count, do they?

As is a season unbeaten, I mean anyone can do that.

What a loser.

:cheesy:

Yes, but how about in the last 10 years or so?

Two FA Cups is a pretty thin return in that amount of time.

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

Yes, but how about in the last 10 years or so?

Two FA Cups is a pretty thin return in that amount of time.

Not when you consider the competition, which you clearly haven't.

Nor his achievements in keeping Arsenal in the Champions league year after year when selling his best players, something most clubs would love to be able to do.

And what does this have to do with him being England manager?

He'll be able to pick the best XI players in the country and.....

Oh.

I don't think he'd want to try and turn that sow's ear into a silk purse, not going to happen.

On 01/10/2016 at 6:51 AM, carmine said:

It will need a tactically astute manager, focusing on technique and able to get the most out of the players available.  So, that counts out anyone English, although the guy at Bournemouth definitely shows promise.

Just go foreign and hope the FA keep their beaks out of things whilst the new coach manages to woeful over expectations of the nation.  

Whatever happens, Rooney must play and must be captain because he's just soon world class.

I would go for Hiddink. He has the experience at managing national sides. Out go Rooney (who is only playing for caps) and Kane. In come Drinkwater, Vardy, Rashford and Alli. Anyone who thinks Rooney should play, knows nothing about football.

On 01/10/2016 at 10:26 AM, Emster23 said:

I think Arsene would be stupid if he accepted. Look what happened with Harry R: was doing very well with exciting Tottenham team, then got manager job. being a national team manager seems like lots of responsibility with very little control, like managing a pick up team at a local park. Club ball is much better gig.

That said, I am available. I'm a yank, no football experience other than watching, but all those free passes to games would be nice. But then again, many yanks seem to want leaders with no experience. Unlike you know who, I am not a narcissist but do feel oncoming dementia like him

What are you talking about? Harry Redknapp has never managed England. Stick to the NFL.

I stand corrected. Ah the joys of failing memory..... I think there was some discussion about him managing perhaps. NFL is too boring for me, so don't paint me with that brush. I used to live a couple of blocks from stadium in 70's where Portland Timbers played, went to most every game. That was when team composed mostly of on loan players from England, including Peter Withe, who later became Thailand's manager. And Timbers won US championship this year, amazingly. Great 'soccer" town.

The team sport I really love is Australian Rules footy, which leaves the rest in the dust imo.

Edited by Emster23

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

I stand corrected. Ah the joys of failing memory..... I think there was some discussion about him managing perhaps. NFL is too boring for me, so don't paint me with that brush. I used to live a couple of blocks from stadium in 70's where Portland Timbers played, went to most every game. That was when team composed mostly of on loan players from England, including Peter Withe, who later became Thailand's manager. And Timbers won US championship this year, amazingly. Great 'soccer" town.

The team sport I really love is Australian Rules footy, which leaves the rest in the dust imo.

Yeah, you probably should have stopped at "I stand corrected".

Southgate should get the job if he doesn't make a pig's ear of things over the next few months. I've just heard his first press conference and was very impressed - he knows what he is letting himself in for. I'm less impressed with his record with the Under 21's but other options are very limited, not to mention risky. I don't see Wenger taking the job in a month of Sundays. He's being polite when he says he may be interested and is also angling for an improved contract from Arsenal in the summer.

1 hour ago, champers said:

Southgate should get the job if he doesn't make a pig's ear of things over the next few months. I've just heard his first press conference and was very impressed - he knows what he is letting himself in for. I'm less impressed with his record with the Under 21's but other options are very limited, not to mention risky. I don't see Wenger taking the job in a month of Sundays. He's being polite when he says he may be interested and is also angling for an improved contract from Arsenal in the summer.

Wenger doesn't need to "angle for an improved contract" and frankly money will not be the deciding factor in his choice whether to stay or leave.

If England management put the job correctly to Wenger to take over close season I could see him taking the job, but not now which is fair enough. He has to leave Arsenal some time, after 20 years has a nice ring about it, and if he's not going to be France manager surely managing his home of the past 20 years must really appeal to him. Would England fans accept him? I have no idea, but I'd welcome his appointment.

Must be some talent coming through.

"England Under-17s stick eight goals past Germany...England eventually ran out 8-1 winners...They beat the hosts Croatia 5-0 last Wednesday and then beat Greece 3-0."

City had a player involved called Ian Carlo Poveda-Ocampo...look forward to hearing commentators struggling with that mouth full.

Laughable that people on here state that Wenger is too unsuccessful to be England Manager when considering other names that have been mentioned, when you look at the relative experience and club success level of nearly every other manager of any international team in the world and when you consider that they'll give it to Southgate if he wins all his temp manager qualifiers. Hopefully the latter is tongue in cheek, but you wouldn't put it past this lot.

Wenger may take the France job if it's around but no chance he'll accept the poisoned chalice of England. For one thing it would likely prevent him from punditing in France, which he seems to love doing. For another he'll be bossing Arsenal for another couple of years at least - just cannot see the owner's love affair with him dying anytime soon.

..... but stranger things have happened in football!

Edit: forget the laughable bit and "people" - I now see it was just one visiting poster going on a flyer!

Edited by SantiSuk

can't imagine why, after 20 years at arsenal and on the downslope to retirement, wenger would want the hassle and bullsh*t that comes with the england job. it isn't even a challenge, it's a massive pain in the hole and i can't imagine it's even remotely enjoyable.

if he wants a job where he works less on a day to day basis then the france job must surely be more appealing. much better squad to work with for starters.

^Too be honest Stevie I can't imagine why anybody would want the engerland job these days. That said for virtually any management jobs these days in England it's a short term hire n fire mentality...not many are 'perceived' good enough to hold down a position for more than a few years before they're axed.

the obvious choise has to be wenger , 100% sqeeky clean and no doubts has the players coachs and the football communties total respect,.lets be honest he's been a game changer for english footie.  however if my  nationlistic flag :spamsign: is in place , i'm sort of feeling a touch sorry that steve bruce is not further in the running , if you take out the poisened chalic that sunderland is/was and in hindsight  even there at the end  he wasnt to shabby , think he's done bloody

well where ever he's been and if he'd been still in charge at hull 

and maybe got a point or two more and some of  the plaudits that phelans been  getting, i'm wondering if anybody would be looking any

further than him.

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:07 PM, Baerboxer said:

Most of my research (not opinion) tells me 15 trophies in 20 years for Arsene Wenger. My research also shows  that over that 20 years he has managed on an average of GBP35million per year (buying Players) to maintain a side of quality, capable of top 4 football in every one of those 20 years in the best League in the world. Arsenal are the second most profitable Club in England and the fifth in the World.

This all shows me he can handle coaching, his (many) Players and is a significant "player" in the Club's business department. It also shows there is little more the Fans, you or me can get from a Manager over such an extended period.

By the way, I am not a fan of Arsenal but I prefer the balanced view.

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

Most of my research (not opinion) tells me 15 trophies in 20 years for Arsene Wenger. My research also shows  that over that 20 years he has managed on an average of GBP35million per year (buying Players) to maintain a side of quality, capable of top 4 football in every one of those 20 years in the best League in the world. Arsenal are the second most profitable Club in England and the fifth in the World.

This all shows me he can handle coaching, his (many) Players and is a significant "player" in the Club's business department. It also shows there is little more the Fans, you or me can get from a Manager over such an extended period.

By the way, I am not a fan of Arsenal but I prefer the balanced view.

His net spend is 243 million a year over 20 years.

And most of that has come in the last couple of years.

According to TransferMarkt, Arsenal have spent a total of £687.4 million in the transfer market since the summer of 1996 -- when Wenger orchestrated the purchase of Patrick Vieira even before officially taking charge of the club. In that same time, they have sold players for £444.35m, for a net spend of £243.05m.

Even Wenger has realised that you have to spend stupid money to compete nowadays, thanks to all the dirty Russian and Arab money in the game.

7 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Must be some talent coming through.

"England Under-17s stick eight goals past Germany...England eventually ran out 8-1 winners...They beat the hosts Croatia 5-0 last Wednesday and then beat Greece 3-0."

City had a player involved called Ian Carlo Poveda-Ocampo...look forward to hearing commentators struggling with that mouth full.

Ivan Campo's lovechild?

3 hours ago, Chicog said:

His net spend is 243 million a year over 20 years.

And most of that has come in the last couple of years.

Even Wenger has realised that you have to spend stupid money to compete nowadays, thanks to all the dirty Russian and Arab money in the game.

Good points on the net figure in transfers. But then there are the salaries paid after that as well. All silly money that Football fans pay for.

What irks me is that all that money goes on Players who are tired after running only 20 kms (12 miles) a week in actual matches.

50 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Good points on the net figure in transfers. But then there are the salaries paid after that as well. All silly money that Football fans pay for.

What irks me is that all that money goes on Players who are tired after running only 20 kms (12 miles) a week in actual matches.

Well at the end of the day it's the players people want to watch, not the chairmen.

Good old Jimmy Hill, jumpers for goalposts, etc.