Ministry vows to work with Amnesty to end torture

rooster59

Ministry vows to work with Amnesty to end torture

PIYANUCH THAMNUKASETCHAI
THE SUNDAY NATION

BANGKOK:-- THE Justice Ministry has pledged to work closely with Amnesty International to stop torture at the hands of officials and gave an assurance that Thailand aimed to put an end to such practices.

Ministry spokesman and deputy permanent secretary Tawatchai Thaikyo said the ministry invited representatives from the human rights agency to discuss the situation regarding torture in the Kingdom.

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-10-02

Work with Amnesty having blocked their report and threatening their reps with arrest for working without permits if they spoke publicly in Thailand ? 

I'm sure any discussions will be behind closed doors so Thailand can issue their usual positive version of what was supposedly said.

is this for real ? this is working with them ? if they act this way with Amnesty what hope for the rest of us....

On Wednesday, Amnesty sought to publicise its report at a press conference in Bangkok, but the event was cancelled after officers from the Labour Ministry and police carried out a raid and warned that foreign speakers would be arrested.

The officers told organisers that holding the event would be a violation of Alien Working Act, as all speakers did not have a work permit in Thailand

31 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Work with Amnesty having blocked their report and threatening their reps with arrest for working without permits if they spoke publicly in Thailand ? 

I'm sure any discussions will be behind closed doors so Thailand can issue their usual positive version of what was supposedly said.

The report itself is harrowing reading.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/09/thailand-a-culture-of-torture-under-the-military/

Justice ministry vows to work with amnesty to stop torture :cheesy:

Best joke i have seen in a long time.

What about the 2 Burmese lads locked of then suddenly confessed for something they did not do.

Being kept in a police station given no food or water, that is a form of torture.

So in one single article in The Lapdog, you get, .... 

"We emphasise that the Justice Ministry is an ally of Amnesty International and we will work together to protect the human rights for all citizens," he said.

as well as ... 

On Wednesday, Amnesty sought to publicise its report at a press conference in Bangkok, but the event was cancelled after officers from the Labour Ministry and police carried out a raid and warned that foreign speakers would be arrested.

Tawatchai cannot possibly be so daft as to think that people do not understand the truth, ... 

well, except for Halloween, anyway... maybe Tawatchai isn't so daft after all... :coffee1:

Successive Thai Administrations have a bad habit of talking before the event , so it becomes a non event , I seen the Un guy for human rights on OZ TV the other night and the insurmountable odds of achieving anything with the Thai government could be described as zilch, their main compliant is continually changing the rules, shifting  ground for any reason,  so that nothing is achieved ,  similar can be seen at  some Thai  immigration centres...........................................................:coffee1:

5 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Well, ministry did "vow" so I am sure they can be believed..... how about some "vows" from military and police? or would that make no difference (we know the answer to that)

We used to get a lot of vows from a previous PM - vowing to pay farmer's next week, vowing never to dissolve parliament etc etc And ones from other politicians like vowing to cut their head off if a certain task wasn't achieved by a certain date.

The word "vow" however translated doesn't seem to have the same meaning. 

38 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Where are the junta apologists on this thread?

They are all but extinct.  

Since the coup and Article 44, Thai officialdumb has never been more dangerous, as they are empowered as never before and can do things with impunity.  Was stopping torture part of the reforms ?  Don't think so. 

2 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Where are the junta apologists on this thread?

But, but, but Thaksin...

Lets not forget the: deckchairs/ bike lanes/cleaning up corruption/fake designer brands (delete as appropriate).

Thailand is not ready for: democracy/ human rights/ political freedoms (delete as appropriate).

Good for business....stability....everyone is happy........

can't do the crime don't do the time....

I think I've covered most of the bases Father.

Edited by JAG

9 hours ago, zoza said:

is this for real ? this is working with them ? if they act this way with Amnesty what hope for the rest of us....

The officers told organisers that holding the event would be a violation of Alien Working Act, as all speakers did not have a work permit in Thailand

Hey thats all part of the new freedom to stop people from speaking act of 2014, tread on that lightly I say.

You know what , I am starting to worry about posting this stuff as it may come back to haunt me, I think maybe the TIT is the best answer to most of these things, I don't know much about computers, but I'm thinking people know how to find out who we are and where we live, I hope I'm wrong on that.

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

We used to get a lot of vows from a previous PM - vowing to pay farmer's next week, vowing never to dissolve parliament etc etc And ones from other politicians like vowing to cut their head off if a certain task wasn't achieved by a certain date.

The mother of all vow must surely be given to General Prayut for vowing he will not stage a coup. 

15 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

ah, yes, let's blame today on the PTP... how intelligent... 

But you should at least understand how things happened... 

- paying the farmers, blocked by Suthep and Co. with threats to any bank that tried to fund the payments...

- dissolving Parliament : after all the Democrats resigned from parliament and there was no other constitutional choice... 

So your PTP deflection is not only irrelevant, it is incorrect as well, ... 

Good job! :coffee1:

8 hours ago, tbthailand said:

ah, yes, let's blame today on the PTP... how intelligent... 

But you should at least understand how things happened... 

- paying the farmers, blocked by Suthep and Co. with threats to any bank that tried to fund the payments...

- dissolving Parliament : after all the Democrats resigned from parliament and there was no other constitutional choice... 

So your PTP deflection is not only irrelevant, it is incorrect as well, ... 

Good job! :coffee1:

Ah, the usual lies. The farmers weren't being paid for months before that ill fated let's whitewash Amnesty Bill and resultant protests caused YL to dissolve parliament before she was subsequently removed from the caretaker role by a court for an illegal act. Then PTP forgot to borrow the money before becoming a caretaker government that wasn't allowed to make such borrowings. How inept.

Didn't want embarrassing questions of why they needed to borrow more money when the finance people kept insisting they wouldn't? 

But don't let facts worry you just use the Shin history re-write.

Nothing to do with deflection, just pointing out that "vowing", if it is translated correctly, doesn't have the same meaning here as demonstrated regularly by senior politicians and officials. 

Edited by Baerboxer

7 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Ah, the usual lies. The farmers weren't being paid for months before that ill fated let's whitewash Amnesty Bill and resultant protests caused YL to dissolve parliament before she was subsequently removed from the caretaker role by a court for an illegal act. Then PTP forgot to borrow the money before becoming a caretaker government that wasn't allowed to make such borrowings. How inept.

Didn't want embarrassing questions of why they needed to borrow more money when the finance people kept insisting they wouldn't? 

But don't let facts worry you just use the Shin history re-write.

Nothing to do with deflection, just pointing out that "vowing", if it is translated correctly, doesn't have the same meaning here as demonstrated regularly by senior politicians and officials. 

you need to check the facts, big guy... no wonder your posts are nothing more than deflections and but but but Thaksin drivel.

Why? Totally unnecessary; weren't we told just recently that Amnesty had it all wrong thus their foreign people would not be allowed to make a presentation at a conference? Or was that just because they didn't have a work permit?